Thread: Help: No Data on new phone, data works on old phone.

Device(s)
    Ipwn 4s
    Carrier(s)
    Bellus
    Feedback Score

Help: No Data on new phone, data works on old phone.

Hi,

I have an older data plan, my data works on my old phone S9 on LTE but moving to a new phone s21, I get no data. I checked the APN settings and it looks normal except ipv6 instead of ipv4.

I tried the bell apn settings with the wapenc and that doesn't work.

The signal status shows umts/hspa instead of LTE in phone status.

I am able to make calls and send txt but I can't enable data.

I called in to technical support but nothing seems to work. Tech support had me reset network settings.

I called in probably 5 times and had a couple 100 minute calls with no solution and the calls mysteriously disconnects.

I had also tried on a older S8 and I get HSPA instead of LTE.

S9 LTE works on Bel
    S21 No Data status shows HSPA, Lucky/TELUS Sim gets LTE!
    S8 HSPA on Bell Sim, Lucky/TELUS sim gets LTE!

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freezerx View Post
    Hi,

I have an older data plan, my data works on my old phone S9 on LTE but moving to a new phone s21, I get no data. I checked the APN settings and it looks normal except ipv6 instead of ipv4.

I tried the bell apn settings with the wapenc and that doesn't work.

The signal status shows umts/hspa instead of LTE in phone status.

I am able to make calls and send txt but I can't enable data.

I called in to technical support but nothing seems to work. Tech support had me reset network settings.

I called in probably 5 times and had a couple 100 minute calls with no solution and the calls mysteriously disconnects.

I had also tried on a older S8 and I get HSPA instead of LTE.

S9 LTE works on Bel
    S21 No Data status shows HSPA, Lucky/TELUS Sim gets LTE!
    S8 HSPA on Bell Sim, Lucky/TELUS sim gets LTE!

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    Hey Freezerx,

I had a similar situation long ago where calls/text work yet data did not. Is this your phone or did you purchase privately from an online seller? Is the phone originally from Bell, one of it's subsidiary brands or is it from another carrier and unlocked?

I cannot guarantee our problems are identical but can recommend a couple things to try:

1) Assuming it's an acquired phone from a 3rd party seller, check the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) in the national database to ensure the phone has not been blacklisted. The 15 digit IMEI is comprised of a 14 digit identity which is unique and specific to your device with the trailing digit being a check digit or checksum which validates this unique number on your device. Many phones which have been blacklisted by a carrier will still work but either calls, text or data is intermittent or simply does not work at all. If the phone is blacklisted, unfortunately, there's no way to whitelist as this can only be done by the original purchaser and takes many steps to do so. The website to check IMEI validity is as follows:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Don't rely on looking at the IMEI number on the box the device came in as you always want to get these details from the phone directly. To obtain the IMEI, from the phone's keypad (dial-pad) enter the following *#06#. The IMEI number will be a 15 digit number.

Hopefully your situation does not fall under category 1!

2) NOTE... Before attempting the following steps in this category, ensure you have done a full backup of your phone and all it's contents as following these steps will result in a full reset and data will be non-recoverable.

Sometimes a phones internal settings become corrupt or if a phone is from another carrier, despite being unlocked, specific limitations are placed on the device, radio bands or its settings. I recommend resetting the bootloader/carrier lock to represent the primary carrier of choice. To do this, obtain your IMEI number as detailed in the above instructions. Write this number down and then from your dial-pad, enter the following sequence: *#272*[IMEI]# with [IMEI] being replaced with your devices IMEI number. Doing so will bring up a carrier settings menu. Many carriers are listed but in Canada, we are dealing with 4 carrier codes:

TLS = TELUS and it's sub-brands (Koodo, Public Mobile and their MVNO's)
    BMC = Bell Mobility Corporation and it's sub-brands (Solo Mobile - now defunct, Virgin Mobile, Lucky Mobile and their MVNO's)
    RWC or RWS = Rogers Wireless and it's sub-brands (Fido, CHAT-R and their MVNO's)
    GLW = Globalive Wireless = Wind Mobile - now Freedom Mobile and their parent subsidy - Shaw Mobile

Select your parent carrier setting from the list - which I assume will be BMC for Bell and click install. It may prompt asking if you want to reset sales code or another option which if memory serves correct will be reset carrier settings. Do not reset sales code as this is redundant so pick the other option and press OK or INSTALL.

Your phone will undergo a reset/reboot sequence once, twice, possibly three times and upon completion, you'll have to go through the initial setup. As a safeguard, skip the restoral of your data and try browsing the web from a newly setup phone. All should be working. At this point, you can restore your data and should the problem arise, you know it has something to do with a backup file most likely specific to your browser (saved cookies, cache etc...).

Should this be the case, go to your browser and ensure you clear all the information and from the drop-down, choose "All Time". This way, all cookies, cache, certificates, saved passwords etc... are fully cleared from your device. Assuming this issue came up, the above steps within the browser settings should hopefully correct the issue. Hopefully this helps and keep us updated.

Feedback Score
    @freezerx:

Did the above assist in your quest to resolve your problem; or are you still having issues? Myself, I assume like others would be curious to know and your feedback, if positive could potentially help other users browsing the forums who may be encountering the same issues.

Feedback Score
    Post screenshots of your APN settings, and the *#2263# menu
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Ipwn 4s
    Carrier(s)
    Bellus
    Feedback Score
    Sorry for the late update, so I figured it out. HSPA is ipv4 only. IPV6 will yield no results. the other issue I'm having now is data seems to turn off if there is no data activity so If I don't use the internet, hspa will show no network connectivity for data after 60-90 minutes but phone/txt still works, turning on/off data will restore data.

It's weird, I had unlimited LTE before but somewhere bell changed it to HSPA only and now I get crappy service. I called in and they said they don't offer LTE on the old unlimited Z-data plans.