Thread: Verizon: Tracfone Customers Can Keep Current Plans Including Lifeline

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 10 pro
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Truphone, Three, FreeUp
    Feedback Score

Verizon: Tracfone Customers Can Keep Current Plans Including Lifeline

In a meeting with the FCC, Verizon execs said if the merger is approved:

"TracFone customers will be able to remain on their current plans postclosing." (paragraph 2)
    "...customers will be able to keep their current Lifeline service/plan when the deal closes." (top of page 2)

Link:
    https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1062955...0(6.29.21).pdf

Article:
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...-s-rosenworcel

I'm not taking this to the bank but it is encouraging for those with big prepaid balances and long expiration dates.

Feedback Score
    "TracFone customers will be able to remain on their current plans post-closing."

Yeah, for how long?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know when my grandma had the old 10 cent per minute plan on her old Verizon CDMA flip phone from about 2003 or 2004, they let her keep that plan till the VoLTE requirement which then she had to switch the plan. She had a large balance on that phone, and now the new plan is eating this balance each month now.

I just hope they do not get rid of Straight Talk plans mainly because for some reason, I like the $90 2 line unlimited plan.

Feedback Score
    Diaz Corona said TracFone, under Verizon management, will be more nimble and competitive because it won’t have to negotiate deals with multiple underlying network operators.
    Exactly right, Verizon will end the contracts with other carriers ASAP. It will also be a blow to MVNOs in general, just like in Canada.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    "TracFone customers will be able to remain on their current plans post-closing."

Yeah, for how long?
    Probably grandfathered in until you swap phones or plans.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Probably grandfathered in until you swap phones or plans.
    And if you are on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile only)? Questions people don't know the answers to yet. Though it is unlikely that T-Mobile service will be provided indefinately.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    And if you are on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile only)? Questions people don't know the answers to yet. Though it is unlikely that T-Mobile service will be provided indefinately.
    No, we don't know all the answers yet, probably won't until the deal is done.

I'm interested to see what Verizon is gonna do about people that use TF/AT&T on Lifeline. There probably using it cause Verizon doesn't have a reliable signal where they live. Make them change to VZW and it would be the same as cutting them out of the program.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    What other company allows you to rotate between Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile whenever you want without losing any of your unused airtime?
    I plan to stay with one phone on Verizon and one on AT&T. After Hurricane Laura I had no Verizon service or electricity for over three weeks. AT&T was my sole connection to the outside world.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    "Diaz Corona said TracFone, under Verizon management, will be more nimble and competitive..." What a load of marketing horsesh*t!

Feedback Score
    Yeah, even with all the frustrations and shortcomings of TF, for those of us that are willing to do a little finagling, it has been very beneficial. I can't imagine TF getting BETTER after it's under Vzw control for most of us here than it is now!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Yeah, even with all the frustrations and shortcomings of TF, for those of us that are willing to do a little finagling, it has been very beneficial. I can't imagine TF getting BETTER after it's under Vzw control for most of us here than it is now!
    Yeah, I have been getting all the cell service I need for $30-$65 a year with Tracfone bundles from HSN that include a phone. That cost to me is $2.50-$5.42 a month. Since the phone, shipping, handling, etc. has to cost them something the amount of money that they get for my cell service would be even less than that. That's less than the $9.25/mo. they get from the government for Lifeline/Safelink customers.

I can't imagine Verizon allowing this to continue. It doesn't make business sense.

I'm not going to go all poor me, it's unfair, "The Man" is screwing me. It's been good while it lasts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post

Yeah, for how long?
    The devil will be in the details. If your plan is on a brand or carrier that they eliminate I wouldn't expect much from that.

Someone suggested that they could calculate a cash value of a plan that is eliminated and apply that to different, more expensive plan. People with large Tracfone units balances could lose out big time by having to apply the units value to a new monthly plan.

There are many other things they could do to extract more revenue out of the Tracfrone brand. They also are in complete control of the wholesale rates they charge to their non-Tracfone MVNOs so they could make those unattractive to switch to. This could be the end of the bargain MVNO era.

I doubt that Verizon will change much in the first six months to a year.

Feedback Score
    My Safelink lifeline is running on T-Mobile.

The T-Mobile service where I live is Superior to Verizon.
    And it always has been.

I will not enjoy having to switch to Verizon service if this actually happens.

Sent from my Powerfully Majestic Moto G Power

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    My Safelink lifeline is running on T-Mobile.

The T-Mobile service where I live is Superior to Verizon.
    And it always has been.

I will not enjoy having to switch to Verizon service if this actually happens.

Sent from my Powerfully Majestic Moto G Power
    That's what I'm worried about. People that don't get a good Verizon signal like my Mom that depends on their phone and can't afford to pay for it monthly are gonna be screwed if they make everyone on Safelink use Verizon.

I get a better signal on AT&T and my Moto is a TF DL version so I could use a TF/AT&T sim, but after I heard about the merger I just stuck with TF/VZW, glad I did now. At least I'm already on VZW network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yeah, I have been getting all the cell service I need for $30-$65 a year with Tracfone bundles from HSN that include a phone. That cost to me is $2.50-$5.42 a month. Since the phone, shipping, handling, etc. has to cost them something the amount of money that they get for my cell service would be even less than that. That's less than the $9.25/mo. they get from the government for Lifeline/Safelink customers.

I can't imagine Verizon allowing this to continue. It doesn't make business sense.

I'm not going to go all poor me, it's unfair, "The Man" is screwing me. It's been good while it lasts.

I too have often wondered how Tracfone was able to continually offer what seem like definite money-losing deals.

My 2 cents - businesses may seem stupid, but generally they aren't. If Tracfone was really losing money, they would have stopped offering those deals.

We as consumers don't know where or how Tracfone was making money off of those. But the very fact that those deals are around means that they are profitable - in whatever way - for Tracfone.

Same goes for the rewards program, IMO.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast