Thread: Race to 5G

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

Race to 5G

I read below that the perennial “race to [5G]” is about to start up. A so-called “nationwide speed test, plus coverage, and reliability that includes over-the-road driving through rural areas and hopefully donut holes.

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/which...m_medium=title

Have these types of tests and results been valid and useful for Howard Forum cellular subscribers? Hopefully, some of their phones will have roaming turned off for native testing and other phones will have roaming turned on - to test what is real coverage and identify who the roaming partners are in the area

The test sounds interesting. I surely hope they read some of our threads here as they test out 30 major population centers and the rural landscape in between. Maybe they will create a realistic definition for “nationwide”, too.

P.S., PCMag is sponsoring it - using Ookla Speedtest (which is disclosed as having common ownership and I have no affiliation).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 07-03-2021 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Moderators: I meant to post in T-Mo. please move if possible.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

Race to 5G

I see that the tests are rather limited. Not too surprised.

The article requests suggestions for other areas. As you may have guess, I suggested the OK, TX, NM, CO, and KS donut hole
    )which they completely missed. ) Our urban friends may be surprised how much produce, foods and cargo go through this area via trucks to reach the population centers and the number of snowbirds and sun seekers drive through.

Here are the major cities and the article does indicate some rural, off-interstate sampling’s:

Car 1: Boston > New York > Philadelphia > Baltimore > Washington > Raleigh > Charlotte > Atlanta > Miami > Tampa

Car 2: Detroit > Indianapolis > Chicago > St. Louis > Kansas City > Oklahoma City > Dallas > Austin > Houston > New Orleans

Car 3: Seattle > Portland > SF Bay Area > Los Angeles > San Diego > Tucson > Phoenix > Las Vegas > Salt Lake City > Denver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 07-04-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Feedback Score
    This is funny. The fact the tagline of the article contains the phrase "5G has blanketed the US" caused a good chuckle. I would assume that the testing will only be done in places where 5G has actually been launched and nowhere where it has not. You can bet they will not be looking in this area for AT&T:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 7.26.08 AM.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  92.1 KB

or pretty much anywhere for Verizon:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 7.26.55 AM.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  64.3 KB

Although, to give credit where credit is due, AT&T is showing some brand new 5G coverage in your donut hole in the Dodge City/Garden City area, which is really good. I'm sure it is no better than LTE low-band, but it's a start.

It will be very interesting to see the results of these tests.