Thread: Google Voice - What is considered overuse?

Feedback Score

Google Voice - What is considered overuse?

Ok I may port my work number with AT&T prepaid to Google voice. I do realize that this may create some issues with connectivity.

The plan is to port the number to Google voice, then get another prepaid AT&T number to work/ring with the main google voice number.

Big question is - at what point/usage would google think it is overuse and shut it down if I get the $25 porting and the free number with no recurring fees?

Although my AT&T prepaid is a work number, it was purchased by me from AT&T prepaid using my personal info and I pay with my personal credit card. I have had this number for over 15 years now - even before I joined this employer. My office allows me to use the same phone number for personal use as well. I average no more than 20-25 calls a day. Average daily use is probably well under 3 hours of calls a day and monthly data is under 5 GB.

I have thought about getting the professional google workspace starter plan for $6 a month, then paying $12 a year to set up my domain for the workspace, then get google voice for business basic plan for $10. So around $17 a month just to get the professional google number, but then i would still have to pay AT&T for the prepaid phone that will ring when my google voice number is called.

However, is it necessary to get the business edition and spend an extra $17 a month to maintain the professional google voice number if my usage is 20-25 calls a day and less than 3 hours of talk time a day and monthly data under 5GB? Am I OK with the free google voice number?

Feedback Score
    I'm not Google but I consider 3 hrs - 180 min = 5,400 min month substantial usage. But OP stated they use much less, but Idk what that means as far as minutes. But I'm interested in the knowledgeable answers to come.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stinky_feelpol View Post
    Ok I may port my work number with AT&T prepaid to Google voice. I do realize that this may create some issues with connectivity.

The plan is to port the number to Google voice, then get another prepaid AT&T number to work/ring with the main google voice number.

Big question is - at what point/usage would google think it is overuse and shut it down if I get the $25 porting and the free number with no recurring fees?

Although my AT&T prepaid is a work number, it was purchased by me from AT&T prepaid using my personal info and I pay with my personal credit card. I have had this number for over 15 years now - even before I joined this employer. My office allows me to use the same phone number for personal use as well. I average no more than 20-25 calls a day. Average daily use is probably well under 3 hours of calls a day and monthly data is under 5 GB.

I have thought about getting the professional google workspace starter plan for $6 a month, then paying $12 a year to set up my domain for the workspace, then get google voice for business basic plan for $10. So around $17 a month just to get the professional google number, but then i would still have to pay AT&T for the prepaid phone that will ring when my google voice number is called.

However, is it necessary to get the business edition and spend an extra $17 a month to maintain the professional google voice number if my usage is 20-25 calls a day and less than 3 hours of talk time a day and monthly data under 5GB? Am I OK with the free google voice number?
    First off personal GV is not business class service. It may be contrary to the TOS to use it for business, not that they are likely to catch you at your level of use. I have had GV since it started. It's pretty good, but I would not count on it if my employment or income depended on it. It does flake out occasionally.

I generally make one call for 30-60 minutes a day. There have been no problems with that level of calls. People have reported having their calls dropped when on multi-hour conference calls.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say "monthly data under 5GB". GV doesn't provide data.

Feedback Score
    if you are going to continue to forward to at&t prepaid what are hoping to achieve ?

in all the years its been around i have not heard of anyone being cut off of google voice for excessive usage, but i have heard reports that calls disconnect after 60 minutes and some numbers in rural areas may not be reachable.

FWIW i know a few people who use GV specifically as a business line and even use it advertisements and none as far as i know have had any issues as a result. in fact among the users i know it may be the most common reason to have a GV number.

Feedback Score
    Hey RobbyRobby
    I would forward to AT&T prepaid for now, but then if I wanted to switch my prepaid carrier, I would still have the same number. ALso, the added benefit is you can use your google voice number to make and receive calls from a computer, a tablet, etc etc on wifi from anywhere in the world without worrying about long distance, sim cards etc. The AT&T prepaid number would just be a placeholder number for ringing the google voice number and also for the data, because that number would provide me with the LTE data network and even phone service when I am not around wifi or data is too wea....

Plus the AT&T number would be the "real mobile" number I keep for receiving texts from banks and institutions who do not like texting to a google voice number (i found that some of my credit card companies are perfectly ok with sending two factor authentication to a google voice number, but some credit card companies and banks do not do text authentication to google voice. they need a "real" mobile number"

Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    if you are going to continue to forward to at&t prepaid what are hoping to achieve ?

in all the years its been around i have not heard of anyone being cut off of google voice for excessive usage, but i have heard reports that calls disconnect after 60 minutes and some numbers in rural areas may not be reachable.

FWIW i know a few people who use GV specifically as a business line and even use it advertisements and none as far as i know have had any issues as a result. in fact among the users i know it may be the most common reason to have a GV number.