Thread: How to find original ESN when sim swapping?

Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

How to find original ESN when sim swapping?

Hello HF! Here is my predicament. I have about 6 phones in which I move my Tracfone VZW sim around. I'll use a phone for a week, get bored and move it to the next one. I know it's crazy, don't judge too harshly lol. These are just phones I've accumulated over the past 2 years or so. Anyway, I am thinking of porting out of Trac soon and know that my ESN is my account number. But I'm not sure which phone is the original activation device. I assume I need to find it so as to retrieve my ESN for porting purposes.

Online, in my Tracfone account page at their website, it just lists my phone #. No ESN is displayed for this line and I have found no way to display it. I find it odd because my 2nd active line does show the ESN for that phone name. Anyway, what is the best way for me to find my ESN that is my account number? I dread having to call cust svc.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    Hello HF! Here is my predicament. I have about 6 phones in which I move my Tracfone VZW sim around. I'll use a phone for a week, get bored and move it to the next one. I know it's crazy, don't judge too harshly lol. These are just phones I've accumulated over the past 2 years or so. Anyway, I am thinking of porting out of Trac soon and know that my ESN is my account number. But I'm not sure which phone is the original activation device. I assume I need to find it so as to retrieve my ESN for porting purposes.

Online, in my Tracfone account page at their website, it just lists my phone #. No ESN is displayed for this line and I have found no way to display it. I find it odd because my 2nd active line does show the ESN for that phone name. Anyway, what is the best way for me to find my ESN that is my account number? I dread having to call cust svc.
    When you go to your TracFone account there is active and inctivate phones in the list. Click on "details" for each phone. There will be a transaction history for each and the IMEI for the inactive phone that you had to give the IMEI for when you activated the BYOP sim with should be in the list.

I couldn't remember which phone I used when I got my BYOP sim card so I did this. Of course I had to get all the old phones out and write down the IMEI for each and doing what I described above I figured it out.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Anyway, what is the best way for me to find my ESN that is my account number? I dread having to call cust svc.
    If you still have the original packaging, each box should have a Red Card which shows the IMEI/ESN and the original SIM number. Use that info to find the IMEI/ESN of the phone that matches the SIM number.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 9, moto z4, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score

I faced a similar situation earlier this year. I simply called customer service, provided some verification information, and they provided me the correct account number/ESN. I understand your trepidation about calling customer service. We all know they can be awful and damn right deceitful; however, I will still entreat you to call them. If you get a stupid agent simply hang up and try again. You will eventually get a knowledgeable/helpful agent.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristInMe View Post
    I faced a similar situation earlier this year. I simply called customer service, provided some verification information, and they provided me the correct account number/ESN.
    Just a few weeks ago I did similar with TW, but used chat. The IMEI on the account matched the phone the SIM was swapped into a few months ago, not the one that the SIM was activated with last year.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up calling customer service and it went well. Got my acct # no questions asked.

After a while I finally found my original device and box. For some reason I decided to store that box in a different location than my usual stash. Lesson learned!

As a side note, while trying to sort out this situation, I texted the word "Four" to 611611. Tracfone then replied with the last four digits of my IMEI. Had my lost box/phone been readily available, I'd say the 611611 text would've been the easiest solution.

Thanks again everybody!

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    As a side note, while trying to sort out this situation, I texted the word "Four" to 611611. Tracfone then replied with the last four digits of my IMEI. Had my lost box/phone been readily available, I'd say the 611611 text would've been the easiest solution.
    Did texting "Four" to 611611 give the IMEI of the phone that the phone is actually used with, or of the original phone?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Did texting "Four" to 611611 give the IMEI of the phone that the phone is actually used with, or of the original phone?
    Texting "Four" to 611611 gave the IMEI of the original activation device. It was not the current IMEI of the phone I was using.