Thread: Pre Purchase Net 10 / ST Home Phone Port Question

Feedback Score

Pre Purchase Net 10 / ST Home Phone Port Question

I wanted to save money on the Landline bill by porting to a home phone from Net 10 or ST. Right now my husband and I has DTV , Uverse 18mb Internet and a landline. I see the price for a landline for Net 10 and ST is VERY reasonable.

So my question is if I port our landline to a device like this, will it cause our internet service to no longer be operable? I know now you can have "Naked DSL" and not have a phone service tied to it but I'm just really confused.

Also I read that ATT is no longer offering their DSL service in some market but when I do a search on the ATT website to check for service my area they are still offering the 18mb service so I guess the market I live in can't have fiber or is probably monopolized by Comcast.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon - Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Run the TMobile home internet checker see if it is available to you.

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBear916 View Post
    I wanted to save money on the Landline bill by porting to a home phone from Net 10 or ST. Right now my husband and I has DTV , Uverse 18mb Internet and a landline. I see the price for a landline for Net 10 and ST is VERY reasonable.

So my question is if I port our landline to a device like this, will it cause our internet service to no longer be operable? I know now you can have "Naked DSL" and not have a phone service tied to it but I'm just really confused.

Also I read that ATT is no longer offering their DSL service in some market but when I do a search on the ATT website to check for service my area they are still offering the 18mb service so I guess the market I live in can't have fiber or is probably monopolized by Comcast.
    I have one of the Straight Talk Home Phone devices. It works well if you have good Verizon cell signal - $15 a month plus tax for unlimited calling. These things are basically a cellphone without the phone part that you plug into a regular home phone.

You would have to contact your DSL provider to find out if you can have just Internet and what it would cost. On cable companies it is frequently no cheaper if you drop the phone part of the bundle.

You would have to check with AT&T if they actually will activate DSL for a new line. They are known to operate DSL, but won't connect new service.

There are less expensive ways to get landline-like service than the Straight Talk device if you have broadband Internet. You could port your landline to Google Voice and use the GV app on a cellphone over Wifi. This is what I do. The cellphone does not need to have cell service to do this, just Wifi. I just use a retired cellphone with no cell service. Using Google Voice would have no 911. The Straight Talk does.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You are going to have to talk with AT&T. You have a bundled price right now. Your bundle may be for a contract period, such as a year, and you would be penalized for breaking it. AT&T loves their complicated contract agreements that benefit them if you want out to secure something cheaper.

Feedback Score
    The contract is over with and the bill is over $250 right now for 3 services. I think its time to give their loyalty department a call to see about a reduction in the bill or maybe go to Comcast for all three services again but we would be in the same boat after the contract is up and often have 2 year agreements where the price is low the first year and goes up the second while still in the contract. PFFT