Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Hotspot / Tethering

Feedback Score

Mobile Hotspot / Tethering

Hi All!
    I am going on a road trip this months, and wondering if Tracfone still frowns upon using the phone as a mobile hotspot / tethering, or is it ok to do that?
    If not ok, are there any good (inexpensive, prepaid) options out there for a hotspot, preferably on the Verizon network?

Thanks much!

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, doing some more googling myself, I found this:
    https://support.tracfone.com/faqs/ho...ouch-sonic-lte

One would assume that if tracfone gives instructions on how to used your tracfone as hotspot, that it's ok to do so. Right?

As with everything Tracfone, it's still better to get some confirmation. Logic sometimes does not seem to apply to Tracfone.
    Has anybody here done it successfully?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    Hmmm, doing some more googling myself, I found this:
    https://support.tracfone.com/faqs/ho...ouch-sonic-lte

One would assume that if tracfone gives instructions on how to used your tracfone as hotspot, that it's ok to do so. Right?

As with everything Tracfone, it's still better to get some confirmation. Logic sometimes does not seem to apply to Tracfone.
    Has anybody here done it successfully?
    I did it for a test a few years ago when I first got a smartphone using TF. It worked. I don't recall if that was Verizon or AT&T. We used to see a few reports that people were doing it for moderate amounts, like a couple of hundred MB a month.

On my more recent Moto phones hotspotting is disabled when they have TF-Verizon service. Hotspotting on Verizon-Visible definitely did work with the same phone. I think recent Android versions allow the service provider to push carrier profiles to the phone when service is activated to change things like hotspotting.

So, allowed or not by TF, you may have to use something other than recent Moto phones or a phone with an older Android version where hotspotting is not otherwise blocked by the phone. Even older carrier branded phones frequently won't hotspot because the hotspot app trys to contact the original carrier to check if it is allowed.

Feedback Score
    There is a list of what is available for hotspot devices at:

https://www.bestphoneplans.net/all-h...b94f41e_page=2

You could also switch your phone to a service provider with a plan that allows hotspotting for a month.

Verizon Visible has unlimited data and hotspot for $25 a month. The hotspot is throttled to 5 Mbps. It can be hit and miss if the data works in various places with the highly deprioritized data. It worked ok for me, but I was not traveling around.

Feedback Score
    Sometimes hotspot works on TF phones, sometimes not.
    If you want prepaid hotspot on VZW network, Net10 sells one. I bought it on ebay with 10Gb data
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Net10-Moxee...edirect=mobile
    It works. HSN also sells the same hotspot bundled with powerbank.

Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Hotspot has been working on a Verizon BYOP SIM on my account (Moto G6). We only use it occasionally when our home internet goes out as "Tracfone Alex" will tell you that it isn't officially allowed/supported. Last August hotspot worked on my AT&T BYOP SIMs but stopped working shortly after that. I have been looking for a reasonably priced dedicated Verizon hotspot device and plan myself. I can find really good prices on A&T hotspot plans but Verizon-based plans seem so much more expensive.

Device(s)
    Iphone XS Motorola G7 power and Optimas Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score

Mobile Hotspot / Tethering

There are Straight Talk hotspots that are sold at Walmart. I can not remember what the plans are on them.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I don’t know if it’s universal, or my local tower, or what, but hotspot wouldn’t work last month on a VZW phone that it used to work on. I tried another phone and same thing. I can use the phone’s browser but no data through hotspot.
    Tracfone rewards referral code OXCC-2594 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members at rewards.tracfone.com or in the Tracfone App.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    I don’t know if it’s universal, or my local tower, or what, but hotspot wouldn’t work last month on a VZW phone that it used to work on. I tried another phone and same thing. I can use the phone’s browser but no data through hotspot.
    I haven't been able to get any TF to hotspot recently. I used to be able to get it to work on my TF/TMobile line, but while hotspot will turn on and let a device connect, the other device gets a "no internet" message.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic55 View Post
    I haven't been able to get any TF to hotspot recently. I used to be able to get it to work on my TF/TMobile line, but while hotspot will turn on and let a device connect, the other device gets a "no internet" message.
    I have seen the same thing. I used to be able to use my TF/T-MOBILE sim to hotspot but that started showing the same thing you are seeing within the last year.

Feedback Score
    I tried it. I can turn on the hotspot, but no devices can connect to it. i know it used to work.
    It's very strange that Tracfone posts instructions on how to do it, and then says it's not allowed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfster View Post
    Sometimes hotspot works on TF phones, sometimes not.
    If you want prepaid hotspot on VZW network, Net10 sells one. I bought it on ebay with 10Gb data
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Net10-Moxee...edirect=mobile
    It works. HSN also sells the same hotspot bundled with powerbank.
    Is this really on the Verizon network? Any way to verify that before placing the order?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If I get one of those, what network would it be on? Could I end up with TMobile? That would be nearly useless for where I plan on using the device. Any way to make sure to get one with a VZW sim?

Edit: it wants a zip code to find the best match. Is there a good Verizon only zip code to enter?

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    Is this really on the Verizon network? Any way to verify that before placing the order?
    If you can trust the ad, the title says "CDMA" and one of the pictures shows a RED map.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast