Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Perplexed: why the widely difference in speed over wifi?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    45
    Feedback Score
    0

    Perplexed: why the widely difference in speed over wifi?

    So I have a Verizon iPad Pro 2021 and a Verizon fold 2 connected to my home wifi but for some reason I get widely different connection speeds. Why? Thanks


    Does the iPad have wifi 6 and thatís why?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,811
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    So I have a Verizon iPad Pro 2021 and a Verizon fold 2 connected to my home wifi but for some reason I get widely different connection speeds. Why? Thanks


    Does the iPad have wifi 6 and thatís why?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are they both connected to the same exact Wi-Fi? If you have only 1 Wi-Fi name then maybe the Samsung is connecting to the 2.4GHz network while the iPad is on the 5GHz network. I can easily get over 700mbps over Wi-Fi 5. Wi-Fi 6 just brings me up to over gbps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

    I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    45
    Feedback Score
    0

    Perplexed: why the widely difference in speed over wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Are they both connected to the same exact Wi-Fi? If you have only 1 Wi-Fi name then maybe the Samsung is connecting to the 2.4GHz network while the iPad is on the 5GHz network. I can easily get over 700mbps over Wi-Fi 5. Wi-Fi 6 just brings me up to over gbps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No they are both connected to the exact same wifi band. Iím assuming yours is also connected to home network? I ask because Iím also perplexed why I canít achieve 200+ using a GL Slate router in wifi repeater mode.


    Okay so now Iím having trouble replicating those high speeds on my iPad.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hotmama2078; 07-06-2021 at 08:21 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,811
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    No they are both connected to the exact same wifi band. Iím assuming yours is also connected to home network? I ask because Iím also perplexed why I canít achieve 200+ using a GL Slate router in wifi repeater mode.


    Okay so now Iím having trouble replicating those high speeds on my iPad.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What router are you connecting too? Connecting to a router that's in repeater mode connected wirelessly you can never expect perfect speeds

    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    45
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    What router are you connecting too? Connecting to a router that's in repeater mode connected wirelessly you can never expect perfect speeds

    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    Itís a GL Slate in repeater mode to my home ISP but not in the same room. Ideally Iím going to use it when I travel again so I was also testing out WAN connections and tethering.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,811
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    Itís a GL Slate in repeater mode to my home ISP but not in the same room. Ideally Iím going to use it when I travel again so I was also testing out WAN connections and tethering.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Your not going to get speeds to write home about with that router. Especially if using Wi-Fi repeater mode.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    45
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Your not going to get speeds to write home about with that router. Especially if using Wi-Fi repeater mode.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What setup where i can? Cell booster or somehow connect one router in my office to the main router? Thanks


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,811
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    What setup where i can? Cell booster or somehow connect one router in my office to the main router? Thanks


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wi-Fi 6 mesh systems that have a dedicated backhaul basically itís on network for connecting and another band for devices to connect to.

    Or use Ethernet which would be the best route


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    45
    Feedback Score
    0

    Perplexed: why the widely difference in speed over wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Wi-Fi 6 mesh systems that have a dedicated backhaul basically itís on network for connecting and another band for devices to connect to.

    Or use Ethernet which would be the best route


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I donít know much about mesh systems but Iíve been looking at some on Amazon. Do they work off its own wifi signal or my ISP network? I also so one with an Ethernet port. Can I connect the nighthawk etc to that one to use itís connection? Can you tell me a little about a dedicated backhaul? Thanks so much

    And you mentioned using a Ethernet connection. In what way?
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,671
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    Does the iPad have wifi 6 and that’s why?
    The Z Fold2 has WiFi 6 too (Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6).
    Turn off the 2.4GHz band, it's worthless in today crowded WiFi space.

    Connect the repeater as Access Point with physical Ethernet cable to the router.
    This is what I get on a Nighthawk R8000P connected as AP, on a Galaxy S21+ connected over WiFi:
    https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/7512312039

    That's my FIOS max speed!
    Last edited by SoNic67; 07-08-2021 at 06:09 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,811
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    The Z Fold2 has WiFi 6 too (Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6).
    Turn off the 2.4GHz band, it's worthless in today crowded WiFi space.

    Connect the repeater as Access Point with physical Ethernet cable to the router.
    This is what I get on a Nighthawk R8000P connected as AP, on a Galaxy S21+ connected over WiFi:
    https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/7512312039

    That's my FIOS max speed!
    That slate router there using isn't even WiFi 6 so wifi 6 in that case wouldn't really matter.

    Also some people have to have 2.4GHz enabled due to smart devices , cameras etc. But always use a different wifi name for it.

    I live in a rural area and over wifi 6 2.4GHz I can get over 300mbps over 2.4 which is incredible

    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    46
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    That slate router there using isn't even WiFi 6 so wifi 6 in that case wouldn't really matter.

    Also some people have to have 2.4GHz enabled due to smart devices , cameras etc. But always use a different wifi name for it.

    I live in a rural area and over wifi 6 2.4GHz I can get over 300mbps over 2.4 which is incredible

    Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    Is this using the router in repeater mode with your home ISP?

    Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,811
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0

    Perplexed: why the widely difference in speed over wifi?

    Quote Originally Posted by phaseout282 View Post
    Is this using the router in repeater mode with your home ISP?

    Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
    Thatís using my router. I donít use any ISP provided stuff. Theyíre usually all junk. If your using the spectrum provided router that could be some of your issue

    My cable modem and router is it. I also do have a mesh setup but itís also wired so it gets close to a gig over Wi-Fi as well.

    When doing a local speedtest I can get around 1.5gbps over Wi-Fi to a machine with a 2.5G Ethernet port.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    45
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Thatís using my router. I donít use any ISP provided stuff. Theyíre usually all junk. If your using the spectrum provided router that could be some of your issue

    My cable modem and router is it. I also do have a mesh setup but itís also wired so it gets close to a gig over Wi-Fi as well.

    When doing a local speedtest I can get around 1.5gbps over Wi-Fi to a machine with a 2.5G Ethernet port.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well Iím glad to report that a tech did come out and now spectrum is much better at 100 to 200+ mbps but I want to set up something apart from that as I use that for business. Is there a way I can get your speeds using another router a mesh system with either or my netgear nighthawk and or my htc hub. I usually get better speeds with the hub.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SID 246
    Posts
    2,811
    Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    0

    Perplexed: why the widely difference in speed over wifi?

    Letís start with your Netgear nighthawk router. Is that connected directly to your modem? And putting out 2 different Wi-Fi network names for 2.4 and 5GHz?

    What speed package are you paying for with spectrum?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 06:52 AM
  2. Anyone else notice the price difference in the V551?
    By rborek in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 10:03 AM
  3. Why the price difference between the E398 and V600?
    By ickystickyglue in forum Motorola
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 04:32 AM
  4. Why so much difference in dB
    By nokia7160dude in forum AT&T
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:05 PM
  5. Does any body know the cost difference in tower deployment???
    By Pinky in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2002, 09:03 PM

Bookmarks