Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Is it a bad idea to buy a Galaxy S9?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    223
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is it a bad idea to buy a Galaxy S9?

    I want to get another phone because my Moto E5 Play is getting slow. I saw on Samsung's site that I can buy an unlocked Galaxy S9. Would buying this phone be a bad idea since it is the same age as my current phone? It is certified re-newed [From their site, "before any device gets labeled Samsung Certified Pre-Owned, it gets completely taken apart and rebuilt by the same engineers who build our new phones. They replace worn out pieces, and we include the same one-year warranty our new phones come with for extra peace of mind.] Should I just buy an unlocked phone that is released in 2021? I see a lot of the phones have big screens, which I am not a fan of I prefer something under 6"- more pocket friendly. Would the S9 soon become obsolete because it has Android 8? Would I be able to upgrade it if I use it with Red Pocket?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,191
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Before I upgraded to my current Samsung Galaxy S21, I had the S9+ and I am fairly certain that I had Android 9 or 10 installed on it through the standard system updates. The S9 is a good, solid phone. How much $$ is the Pre-Owned phone that you were looking at ??

    While that phone does lack 5G, so do most people in many markets. It does have the full VOLTE (4G) features and is not going to be obsolete for several years.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    223
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Before I upgraded to my current Samsung Galaxy S21, I had the S9+ and I am fairly certain that I had Android 9 or 10 installed on it through the standard system updates. The S9 is a good, solid phone. How much $$ is the Pre-Owned phone that you were looking at ??

    While that phone does lack 5G, so do most people in many markets. It does have the full VOLTE (4G) features and is not going to be obsolete for several years.
    It is $300 (I don't have an eligible trade in to reduce the price). My concern was that apps would not work in the future because the version of Android is too old. If I could get 2-3 years of the phone running fine, that would be good.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,191
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Don't forget that many applications will still run on Android 8. The S9 should run just fine for the time frame you think you might need to wait.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,752
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    It is $300 (I don't have an eligible trade in to reduce the price). My concern was that apps would not work in the future because the version of Android is too old. If I could get 2-3 years of the phone running fine, that would be good.
    I would not pay $300 for a S9. It's a bit old in performance for that much. If I couldn't find something newer for as good of a price that met my size preference, it would be ok, but a better price might be found. I understand the pocketable issue.

    A web search indicates that it should update to Android 10, but that is probably the end. I wouldn't even worry about running Android 8. It should be good for a few years before apps stop running on it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,191
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I agree that $300 is a bit high for a refurbished phone that age. Considering the S10, S20 and S21 (and variants of each model) were the subsequent phone models, it is a little aged but still a reliable handset.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    223
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I agree that $300 is a bit high for a refurbished phone that age. Considering the S10, S20 and S21 (and variants of each model) were the subsequent phone models, it is a little aged but still a reliable handset.
    Yeah $300 is steep for me, the most I paid for a phone was $250 for a Nexus 5x which ended up having difficulty charging (Charger wouldn't stay in bottom of it). I know Samsung replaces the battery with a new one, not sure if they swap any of the hardware in the phone. I was considering a Moto G Power 2020 (I have seen it for $220) but it may feel too heavy with the big battery and large screen- like carrying a brick in my pocket lol.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,752
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    Yeah $300 is steep for me, the most I paid for a phone was $250 for a Nexus 5x which ended up having difficulty charging (Charger wouldn't stay in bottom of it). I know Samsung replaces the battery with a new one, not sure if they swap any of the hardware in the phone. I was considering a Moto G Power 2020 (I have seen it for $220) but it may feel too heavy with the big battery and large screen- like carrying a brick in my pocket lol.
    Yeah, my similar Moto G7 Power is 11 ounces in its case vs 8.5 for my Moto E6. I don't notice the Power being heavy when clipped to my belt or in my pocket with with the clip on the outside of the pocket opening. It seems much heavier when just put in the pocket with the pocket bottom carrying the weight. I do love the big battery so I don't have to plan so much about keeping the battery charged to make it through the day.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    6
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just purchased a refurbished s10e, 256GB, for $291 total off Amazon. The 128GB models were under $190, before sales tax.
    Looks like a brand new phone.
    I used to be wishy-washy, not I'm not so sure.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 10:10 PM
  2. Buying Treo600 this week, is it a bad idea?
    By mpovolo in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 03:33 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 09:18 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 07:24 AM
  5. Is it stupid for me to buy the 7210?
    By babyvox in forum Nokia
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2003, 12:57 PM

Bookmarks