Thread: Is porting AFTER activation possible?

Feedback Score

Is porting AFTER activation possible?

I have a Verizon acct, but my phone is dying and Verizon is switching me to a new plan anyway as part of their 3G phaseout.

I picked up a new Tracfone, got it activated and was assigned a new phone number. I wanted to try this phone out before porting my old phone number over from Verizon.

Since the phone seems to be working ok, will Tracfone allow me to port over my old number to this sim card/phone/account and just discard the currently-assigned Tracfone number?

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boreali View Post
    Since the phone seems to be working ok, will Tracfone allow me to port over my old number to this sim card/phone/account and just discard the currently-assigned Tracfone number?
    I believe you can, but I've only changed the number with another TF-assigned number. Best to ask a TF rep.

Feedback Score
    I would have a new sim handy in case it's easier/safer for CS to do the "upgrade" this way. Then they can start fresh with a new number/IMEI pairing and transfer the airtime (if any). In-house number changes might involve some sort of internal divorce that doesn't work with ports.

Feedback Score
    I just chatted with Tracfone. They say it shouldn't be a problem.

(I asked here first because I thought I would be on hold waiting for customer service forever and I am busy at the moment.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boreali View Post
    I just chatted with Tracfone. They say it shouldn't be a problem.

(I asked here first because I thought I would be on hold waiting for customer service forever and I am busy at the moment.)
    "Shouldn't be a problem" is different then "Won't be a problem". Let us know how it goes.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Before you let them do this, as a precaution have them post your remaining airtime (buckets and days) into the chat transcript. Changing a number can de-activate the account, possibly leaving no record of the remaining airtime they must add back with the new phone number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    "Shouldn't be a problem" is different then "Won't be a problem". Let us know how it goes.
    I agree 100% with that sentiment.
    In my experience, Tracfone reps have a tendency to say inaccurate/incorrect things.
    And in my experience, things that CAN go wrong, DO go wrong when Tracfone customer service is involved.