Thread: What Are My Choices For Verizon MVNO Data Only Hotspot Plans?

Feedback Score

What Are My Choices For Verizon MVNO Data Only Hotspot Plans?

I may be interested in buying some Verizon MVNO data. This would simply be a back up to my existing devices. Do any Verizon MVNOs have the option of buying data that would be good for 90 days or 1 year? I have tried using https://prepaidcompare.net/ but I not not finding what I want. Are there any other similar websites that I should be using? If someone had say 10 GB of data that was good for a year on a Verizon MVNO, that might work for me, if it was a reasonable price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I may be interested in buying some Verizon MVNO data. This would simply be a back up to my existing devices. Do any Verizon MVNOs have the option of buying data that would be good for 90 days or 1 year? I have tried using https://prepaidcompare.net/ but I not not finding what I want. Are there any other similar websites that I should be using? If someone had say 10 GB of data that was good for a year on a Verizon MVNO, that might work for me, if it was a reasonable price.
    For use with a stand-alone hotspot device or on a phone?

Look at Net10 for hotspot device. Not sure if it is Verizon.

List of hotspot plans:
    https://www.bestphoneplans.net/all-h...b94f41e_page=2

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    For use with a stand-alone hotspot device or on a phone?...
    This is for a stand-alone hotspot device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    This is for a stand-alone hotspot device.
    this one here runs on verizon - https://shop.net10wireless.com/shop/...tspot-k779hsdl and here are your mobile hotspot plans - https://www.net10wireless.com/servic...ceType=hotspot

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    There are very few options for long expiration from the US carriers. Tracfone is one of the few exceptions.

Your best bet with them to is to get a preloaded SIM on eBay or inexpensive HSN phone bundle that comes with a SIM card that has 1 year of service. Those can usually be had for $30-40 on a promo, and that will have 1.5GB (HSN Bundle) or 3GB (eBay SIM) of total data and 1 Year of service. You can then add data as needed for $10/GB.

You should be able to activate the SIM with the IMEI of any compatible phone (as long as not already on Verizon, but can be on another network). Doing this won't impact your other service. For example, I can have the same IMEI active on T-Mobile and Verizon, as long as I have separate SIMs (and obviously different numbers).

You should be able to put that Verizon SIM in the hotspot you have, and it should work as long as it was initially activated with the IMEI of a phone.

Using this strategy, you could be out of pocket only $30-40 if you don't need the backup data, and whatever you buy continues to rollover for as long as you maintain the service.

I do this exact strategy with AT&T on Tracfone as my backup service (as I have Verizon), and buy the eBay SIMs periodically for $30-40, and stack them by activating them sequentially. For example, I can buy a new eBay SIM today, activate it, and transfer my existing account over. That will keep the phone number, but I'll get another 3GB data, one more year added to my expiration data (and a bunch of minutes/texts that I will probably never use).

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    ...Your best bet with them to is to get a preloaded SIM on eBay or inexpensive HSN phone bundle that comes with a SIM card that has 1 year of service. Those can usually be had for $30-40 on a promo, and that will have 1.5GB (HSN Bundle) or 3GB (eBay SIM) of total data and 1 Year of service. You can then add data as needed for $10/GB...
    Thank you!

Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. Do you have an eBay URL/link that will help me find this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    There are very few options for long expiration from the US carriers. Tracfone is one of the few exceptions.

Your best bet with them to is to get a preloaded SIM on eBay or inexpensive HSN phone bundle that comes with a SIM card that has 1 year of service. Those can usually be had for $30-40 on a promo, and that will have 1.5GB (HSN Bundle) or 3GB (eBay SIM) of total data and 1 Year of service. You can then add data as needed for $10/GB.

You should be able to activate the SIM with the IMEI of any compatible phone (as long as not already on Verizon, but can be on another network). Doing this won't impact your other service. For example, I can have the same IMEI active on T-Mobile and Verizon, as long as I have separate SIMs (and obviously different numbers).

You should be able to put that Verizon SIM in the hotspot you have, and it should work as long as it was initially activated with the IMEI of a phone.

Using this strategy, you could be out of pocket only $30-40 if you don't need the backup data, and whatever you buy continues to rollover for as long as you maintain the service.

I do this exact strategy with AT&T on Tracfone as my backup service (as I have Verizon), and buy the eBay SIMs periodically for $30-40, and stack them by activating them sequentially. For example, I can buy a new eBay SIM today, activate it, and transfer my existing account over. That will keep the phone number, but I'll get another 3GB data, one more year added to my expiration data (and a bunch of minutes/texts that I will probably never use).
    Is a Tracfone SIM going to work in a hotspot device? Are they not blocked for that?

If going the route of using a phone as a hotspot, some (many?) Tracfone bundle phones are blocked from using the hotspot. My Moto E6 bundle phone will not hotspot.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone plans are increasingly blocked for hotspot use. (It's always been against the Terms of Service to use hotspot in any manner.) And, the Tracfone Verizon SIMs are now more likely to be suspended if it's in a non-compatible device.

Net10 seems to be the answer. This Net10 MiFi unit comes with a year of service, & 10GB, on Verizon.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Net10-Moxee.../284061426206?
    That is sold by Tracfone's Ebay sales department. $80 is a decent price already, but if you enter promo code INSTANT20 on the Ebay checkout page, you'll get it for $64.
    Add-on data on the Net10 website-- but make sure you're looking at Hotspot data packages.

If you go that way, and join the Net10 Rewards Program with a referral from an existing member, I think you'll get enough rewards points to add additional data. (I haven't ever done this with the MiFi unit-- I know if works with phone plans.)
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    ...Net10 seems to be the answer. This Net10 MiFi unit comes with a year of service, & 10GB, on Verizon.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Net10-Moxee.../284061426206?
    That is sold by Tracfone's Ebay sales department. $80 is a decent price already, but if you enter promo code INSTANT20 on the Ebay checkout page, you'll get it for $64.
    Add-on data on the Net10 website-- but make sure you're looking at Hotspot data packages....
    That is the one I referred to above. It says that it comes with 10 GB good for a year, but refills listed there are only good for 30 or 60 days.

They have 500 MB and 1 GB refills that do not expire with otherwise active service at the Net10 site:
    https://www.net10wireless.com/servic...ceType=hotspot

The combination of these two would take care of you for a year if your use is intermittent rather than monthly. After the year that comes with the device I don't see anyway to renew other than the 30 or 60 day refills.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    If you can grab the Net10 device, that’s a better option if you think you’ll need more than a few GB of data, and you won’t be taking a risk that they won’t allow the hotspot. I was able to activate the hotspot on my phone the one time I tried, but I have their AT&T service. So if others are saying it might be against the TOS, then I would suggest not trying that and using the Net10 option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Tracfone plans are increasingly blocked for hotspot use. (It's always been against the Terms of Service to use hotspot in any manner.) And, the Tracfone Verizon SIMs are now more likely to be suspended if it's in a non-compatible device.
    Total Wireless, part of TracFone, on Verizon network specifically allows hotspot in their TOS.
    It's limited to 10GB per month.

Feedback Score