Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Does this look like Verizon?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0

    Does this look like Verizon?

    This just went up on my block. Meter is not installed yet so can't be sure, but hoping it's VZ as they have been very active in my area (Dallas, specifically 75 & Lovers).

    Thoughts?

    Name:  IMG-2193.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  65.5 KB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    182
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix26404 View Post
    This just went up on my block. Meter is not installed yet so can't be sure, but hoping it's VZ as they have been very active in my area (Dallas, specifically 75 & Lovers).

    Thoughts?

    Attachment 168923
    I would say yes, Samsung mmWave radios typical of Verizon

    Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwtgt View Post
    I would say yes, Samsung mmWave radios typical of Verizon

    Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    That would be great. Love VZW and have been with them for years, but have been considering switching over the last 12 months due to signal issues in house. This would be a great deterrent!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    8,061
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix26404 View Post
    That would be great. Love VZW and have been with them for years, but have been considering switching over the last 12 months due to signal issues in house. This would be a great deterrent!
    I doubt mmWave is going to do much for you if the LTE service is that minimal inside a building. Verizon should spend more on improving regular service, rather then riding this mmWave bandwagon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,070
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I doubt mmWave is going to do much for you if the LTE service is that minimal inside a building. Verizon should spend more on improving regular service, rather then riding this mmWave bandwagon.
    You realize that the mmwave antenna are likely MUCH MUCH closer to this person than the LTE bands which are on a tower which could be miles away. Why do you assume that Verizon can't do 2 things at once and exactly what s Verion supposed to do about regular service? make up new spectrum and wave magic wand? You do realize that 5G spectrum like mmwave actually helps people using LTE?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,124
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    mmWave is not a bandwagon. It's the future. There's simply not enough room left in the lower bands. It's the electromagnetic version of cities having to build skyscrapers — the only way to go is up.

    Kudos to Verizon for picking the more difficult but ultimately wiser path. AT&T and T-Mobile are going to be kicking themselves in a few years when Verizon has blanketed the densest areas with mmWave while AT&T's and T-Mobile's midband networks begin to buckle in those same areas.

    For a reality check: Even current antenna tech (which is still being improved at a rapid pace) can consistently get mmWave to go at least half a kilometer in cities. City blocks are, at most, a quarter kilometer long, and less than a tenth of a kilometer wide. Verizon already has small cells at nearly every intersection in major city centers, and if I remember correctly, so does T-Mobile; this is because that's how densely they had to build their networks to make their PCS and AWS holdings able to carry all that data traffic.

    So in order for carriers to densify enough for the lower bands to be enough in the near future, they already have to densify to the point that mmWave can provide near-total coverage ANYWAY. Sure mmWave will never reach everywhere the lower frequencies do, but it doesn't need to. In the short to medium term it just needs to offload enough traffic from the sub-5 GHz licensed bands to keep them up and running, and in the long term it needs to reach everywhere that its faster speeds are necessary (wherever people are using virtual/augmented reality, for example).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,589
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    ......Verizon should spend more on improving regular service, rather then riding this mmWave bandwagon.
    I know it's against the wind in this forum but I agree with lobo on this. Maybe because I don't live in an urban box.
    With the reduced range of 4G, what Vzw and other carriers have not done adequately is infill with towers to reach the same customers the existing towers could reach on 3G. Just a left wing conspiracy to force people to move into urban areas.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    373
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    mmWave is not a bandwagon. It's the future. There's simply not enough room left in the lower bands. It's the electromagnetic version of cities having to build skyscrapers — the only way to go is up.

    Kudos to Verizon for picking the more difficult but ultimately wiser path. AT&T and T-Mobile are going to be kicking themselves in a few years when Verizon has blanketed the densest areas with mmWave while AT&T's and T-Mobile's midband networks begin to buckle in those same areas.

    For a reality check: Even current antenna tech (which is still being improved at a rapid pace) can consistently get mmWave to go at least half a kilometer in cities. City blocks are, at most, a quarter kilometer long, and less than a tenth of a kilometer wide. Verizon already has small cells at nearly every intersection in major city centers, and if I remember correctly, so does T-Mobile; this is because that's how densely they had to build their networks to make their PCS and AWS holdings able to carry all that data traffic.

    So in order for carriers to densify enough for the lower bands to be enough in the near future, they already have to densify to the point that mmWave can provide near-total coverage ANYWAY. Sure mmWave will never reach everywhere the lower frequencies do, but it doesn't need to. In the short to medium term it just needs to offload enough traffic from the sub-5 GHz licensed bands to keep them up and running, and in the long term it needs to reach everywhere that its faster speeds are necessary (wherever people are using virtual/augmented reality, for example).
    You may be right. I think Verizon could very well end up with the best 5g network speed wise for a little while until the others catch up on mm wave. My friend regularly gets over 2k down in a lot of spots now in populated areas. Seems like every street corner is covered well. Rural coverage seems great with Verizon so getting mm wave to more populated areas will serve them well. We should have 3 networks with good 5g in the long run with each one beating the others back and forth.

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by daisydoo; 07-12-2021 at 03:51 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    43
    Feedback Score
    0
    Name:  IMG_0102.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  107.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0103.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  51.0 KB

    This is a Verizon base station antenna?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    0
    I see:

    First pic T-Mobile full modern setup with n41.

    Bottom pic AT&T dated setup with b2/b12 + b30.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,674
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix26404 View Post
    This just went up on my block. Meter is not installed yet so can't be sure, but hoping it's VZ as they have been very active in my area (Dallas, specifically 75 & Lovers).

    Thoughts?

    Name:  IMG-2193.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  65.5 KB
    Yes Samsung mmWave. Nokia markets are being ripped and replaced

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,234
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just a left wing conspiracy to force people to move into urban areas.
    TIL the Democratic Party dictates the laws of physics . Really? More complex OFDMA signals are a lot more difficult to propagate than the old UTRA 3G signals, let alone the GPRS / CDMA signals of 2G. Get real.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,124
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    TIL the Democratic Party dictates the laws of physics . Really? More complex OFDMA signals are a lot more difficult to propagate than the old UTRA 3G signals, let alone the GPRS / CDMA signals of 2G. Get real.
    The Democratic Party is conservative because a basic requirement for being left-wing is opposing private ownership of means of production, whereas Democrats’ platform and votes both support the continued existence of private industry. Republicans are further right, of course, but the degree to which private industry should be regulated is entirely a discourse within the right wing. Leftists advocate abolition rather than regulation of the private sector. I understand that the media in this country loves to frame politics as sensationally as possible in order to get more viewers, but no amount of spin changes the fact that there is no such thing as a left-winger who wants to regulate the economy instead of putting it under the control of the public. (Exactly how that control should work is a source of endless intra-left debate, such as whether it should be through numerous syndicates, a strong centralized government, no hierarchy at all, some mix of the three, something else, etc.)

    Ironically, we should actually blame capitalists for the deficit of rural coverage in the USA because as I mentioned earlier, the people of the USA have spent the past couple of decades paying the telecoms to wire the entire country with fiber optic Internet service, only for said companies to pocket the money without actually delivering said service. If they had used those funds as promised, we wouldn’t be having this discussion because fiber backhaul would be so ubiquitous that Verizon would be able to easily build out 5G coverage everywhere covered by 3G, 2G, and even AMPS. This is just one example of many of the ruling class in this country stealing resources from the rest of us and then pointing fingers at everyone else when our infrastructure suffers as a result. We should have the best cellular networks in the world in the USA judging by how much we’ve paid into them, and yet.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I doubt mmWave is going to do much for you if the LTE service is that minimal inside a building. Verizon should spend more on improving regular service, rather then riding this mmWave bandwagon.
    This small cell is right on my curb. So close that the conspiracy theory gremlins in me are making me worried about radiation when they install the meter! JK (but kinda)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,124
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Even if radio waves posed a health risk (they don’t), millimeter waves bounce right off your skin whereas traditional, lower frequencies go through your entire body. If anything, 5G mmWave is even safer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does this look like a good Cruise Ship?
    By TelecomZombie in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 02:31 PM
  2. Does this look like a fraud? (Ebay)
    By larman in forum Fraud Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 08:26 PM
  3. Does this look like a real Mac Desktop?
    By Hawaiian Boy in forum Tech Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 05:41 PM
  4. Does this look like anything to you?
    By danlee78 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 06:13 AM
  5. does this look like the new BT mp3 player?
    By edwinx in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 01:53 PM

Bookmarks