Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What happened to pocket sized smartphones?

Feedback Score

What happened to pocket sized smartphones?

Needing to replace a Moto X4 before next year due to no VoLTE. Started looking for a new ("newish") phone in the sub 150mm height range. There's not a lot that exist.

To also factor into this, I'm not really wanting to spend top dollar on a smartphone, so "new" doesn't mean released last week. I'm not the type that is constantly diddling with my smartphone. I really just need calls, texts, and emails. But would prefer something smallish so it can fit in my pocket.

Not concerned about 5G at all. I don't live in the city.

About the only one I found was the Google Pixel 4a. But looking at eBay a lot of these in good condition are in the $270 to $300 range, was hoping to spend a little less than this.

Came across the Samsung Galaxy S10e - would seem to fit the bill, but I've never been a huge fan of Samsung phones. They always seem to have a ton of bloat and are just slow. But maybe they've changed? Or I just had a bad experience. I know Samsung is a very popular company.

Anything else I might be overlooking? Or any insights on either of these two phones?

Feedback Score
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    I can put Moto E6 (diagonal length 5.5 inches) into my pocket, if not too much else is also in the pocket.

Feedback Score
    The E6 - at least according to gsmarena - is 149mm in height, so it's under 150mm. 150mm, maybe 155mm, but as you get closer to 160mm I'm not sure if that's pocket size.

The E6 only has 2GB of RAM. I figured that is a little low for 2021 standards. I think the X4 has 3GB.

Feedback Score
    I have a Pixel 3a XL, and my wife has a Pixel 3a.

We both still love them. If either would have to replaced right now, it would be with a Pixel 4a.

It is amazing that a used 4a is still going for that much when it is only $349 new.

If a used 4a is more than you want to spend, have you considered a used 3a? However, it's taller at 152mm.

Feedback Score
    I was looking for something relatively new - so it would have some lifetime to it.

I don't know how much longer the 3a is going to be supported. It's a year and some change older than the 4a.

I'm reading some of the posts I'm making and it sounds like I'm a choosy beggar. But I'm just trying to maximize as best I can. I mean, I can buy a 4a if I have to. Or the 3a may be an acceptable alternative. I'm not trying to sound like a choosy beggar, just wanting to make sure I'm efficiently using my money.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The 4a is going to be the best option as far as official support. The s10 series and the 3A will lose primary support next year, though Google has been generous on security updates before on Pixels.

Maybe it might a good idea to wait until August to see if Google releases a new A model. This seems to be their new device release window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Android Authority: What is considered a small Android phone in 2021 and what are your options?

https://www.androidauthority.com/bes...-phones-782746

Feedback Score
    The OP might also consider the Samsung Galaxy Xcover 5. But Samsung has not yet officially released it for the USA market, and I don't know whether or not the units that are currently being sold on the eBay USA website (brand new by a few overseas dealers) are compatible with the ATT network.

Press release:
    https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...h-environments

Specs:
    https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galax...er_5-10718.php

Feedback Score
    Please double check everything I wrote below before you proceed.

If you want to get creative, you can buy an unlocked 4a from Visible for $336, and if you port in a # from an eligible provider, you'll get a $150 prepaid eMC shortly after you make your 2nd payment. The 1st month is $5 with a referral code ( NwFgf is my son's code ) and the 2nd month is $25 if you join an anonymous Party Pay group ( Reddit_Upvote is a large group ). Make sure you read all the details: https://www.visible.com/shop/smartph...oogle-pixel-4a

So, if I'm calculating this correctly:
    $11 to get an eligible # to port into Visible
    $336 + applicable sales tax for the 4a
    $5 1st month Visible with a referral code ( NwFgf is my son's code )
    $25 2nd month Visible with Party Pay group ( Reddit_Upvote is a large group )
    -$150 eMC
    -------
    $227 + applicable sales tax for the 4a

Eligible port in providers:
    https://www.visible.com/help/port-in-promotions
    AT&T
    AT&T Prepaid
    Boost Mobile
    Consumer Cellular
    Cricket Wireless
    FreedomPop
    Google Fi
    MetroPCS
    Mint Mobile
    Net10 Wireless
    Page Plus Cellular ($10 paygo plan)
    Republic Wireless
    Spectrum Mobile
    Sprint
    Straight Talk
    T-Mobile
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Ting ($10 plan + $1 SIM card from Target)
    Total Wireless
    TracFone
    US Cellular
    Verizon
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Walmart Family Mobile
    Xfinity Mobile

Feedback Score
    Now that's a money saving tip if I've ever seen one. Ha!

If Google typically releases a new Pixel in August, that might be the best idea - being this close to August. See if that will bump the price of the 4a down some.

Feedback Score
    That will be a judgement call. Sometimes Pixel phones go OOS quickly when a new model arrives, and sometimes they hang on for a while.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    The E6 - at least according to gsmarena - is 149mm in height, so it's under 150mm. 150mm, maybe 155mm, but as you get closer to 160mm I'm not sure if that's pocket size.

The E6 only has 2GB of RAM. I figured that is a little low for 2021 standards. I think the X4 has 3GB.
    2 GB RAM and 16 GB storage was common for a low spec 2019 phone. I have one and it works fine. Settings says that with 90 apps I am using 73% of storage with 4.36 GB free.

I should be ok for a couple of years with it, but I doubt I would buy a 16 GB storage phone again unless I was desperate.

I have several retired 8 GB storage phones. They are pretty much useless for apps other than the few that come with them.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The term "pocket sized" is very subjective. In my opinion, my Samsung S21 5G fits comfortably in my pocket. Others may feel differently and that's OK. There are many phone finder tools on the internet that allow consumers to enter specific phone requirements (features, options, price, technologies, dimensions for example) to narrow down their ideal phone.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast