Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Roaming speeds on unlimited plans?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,008
    Feedback Score
    0

    Roaming speeds on unlimited plans?

    On AT&T’s website in the fine print for postpaid and prepaid unlimited plans that include data in Canada say that “speeds may be limited to 2G”. Are they throttled from the get-go or are they after a certain amount of usage? Also is this throttle 128 Kbps or 64 Kbps like Verizon after 512 MB of usage in a day?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,191
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's not At&t in control of the data speeds while traveling internationally, it is the foreign cellular provider that is. At&t merely has roaming agreements with the foreign carriers. Typically, foreign carriers don't give the same speeds to roaming customers as the higher data speeds reserved for their own customers. When I traveled to Italy twice in the past 5 years, my roaming speeds were 3G on my first trip and 4G on my second trip. While I am not a heavy phone user while traveling, I never saw my data slowed down significantly while using more than one foreign provider while there. YMMV........
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,771
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Roaming speeds on unlimited plans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    It's not At&t in control of the data speeds while traveling internationally, it is the foreign cellular provider that is. At&t merely has roaming agreements with the foreign carriers. Typically, foreign carriers don't give the same speeds to roaming customers as the higher data speeds reserved for their own customers. When I traveled to Italy twice in the past 5 years, my roaming speeds were 3G on my first trip and 4G on my second trip. While I am not a heavy phone user while traveling, I never saw my data slowed down significantly while using more than one foreign provider while there. YMMV........
    That’s not exactly correct. For example, T-Mobile and Verizon both slow down your data after you’ve consumed a certain amount. It still works..it’s just dramatically slower. This obviously isn’t AT&T in my examples, but clearly the “home” carrier can influence the speed.

    For example, this is one of Verizon’s plans:

    “Mexico & Canada talk, text, & data

    Talk, text and use unlimited data when traveling in Mexico and Canada. Data speeds are reduced to 2G after 0.5 GB/day. Also includes Unlimited talk and text to Mexico and Canada when you are in the US.”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,415
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by THoAddict01 View Post
    On AT&T’s website in the fine print for postpaid and prepaid unlimited plans that include data in Canada say that “speeds may be limited to 2G”. Are they throttled from the get-go or are they after a certain amount of usage? Also is this throttle 128 Kbps or 64 Kbps like Verizon after 512 MB of usage in a day?
    The day pass is not slowed down by at&t. Speeds may be limited to 2G because GSM is still running in many countries.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,008
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    The day pass is not slowed down by at&t. Speeds may be limited to 2G because GSM is still running in many countries.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    But if I’m connected to an LTE network in Canada, it won’t be throttled by AT&T? I’ve had Verizon for a few years now but last time I had AT&T it was full speed but the verbiage about 2G speeds wasn’t there before either.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,064
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    The day pass is not slowed down by at&t. Speeds may be limited to 2G because GSM is still running in many countries.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I doubt it is that, though of course if you end up in an area with only GSM, it would be limiting you to that.

    Too much recent year history of saying 2G speeds due to throttle. ATT's web page says can slow you down due to network usage. So this probably covers ATT if network throttles you, or if you hit your high speed ATT allotment.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,415
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I doubt it is that, though of course if you end up in an area with only GSM, it would be limiting you to that.

    Too much recent year history of saying 2G speeds due to throttle. ATT's web page says can slow you down due to network usage. So this probably covers ATT if network throttles you, or if you hit your high speed ATT allotment.
    Yes, for abuse or if you are off of the domestic network for 2 billing cycles.

    There have been reports of slow speeds on certain networks in Mexico, but I believe that has been lifted.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,415
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by THoAddict01 View Post
    But if I’m connected to an LTE network in Canada, it won’t be throttled by AT&T? I’ve had Verizon for a few years now but last time I had AT&T it was full speed but the verbiage about 2G speeds wasn’t there before either.
    From "International Day Pass - International Plans from AT&T" https://www.att.com/international/day-pass/


    Data: Data will be drawn from your domestic plan allowance with the same data and speed restrictions. If your domestic plan includes Stream Saver, it will apply to your international package or feature. See att.com/streamsaver for more details.

    Data overage: If you go over the amount of data in your qualified domestic plan, overage charges or data speed reduction of up to 128Kbps apply in accordance with the terms of your domestic plan. If your data speed is slowed, all your data use, including audio and video streaming, picture and video messaging, and other types of data use will be impacted and may not work. Incidental data usage: Apps on your device use data even when you may not be aware. Such usage may trigger the daily fee. To avoid unintended use of IDP, turn off cellular data roaming in your device settings.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,415
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    FYI;
    The data pass is now $10 for the first line, $5 for every line after that on the same plan.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-27-2017, 01:45 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:21 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 01:23 PM
  4. Roaming charges on AC plan
    By vtguy in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2002, 02:44 PM
  5. Free Roaming area on gsm plans
    By bakouras in forum AT&T
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2002, 04:20 AM

Bookmarks