Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What causes people to upgrade to newer models of Samsung phones?

Feedback Score

What causes people to upgrade to newer models of Samsung phones?

I have an S9+. I intend to keep it for another couple years, or when the battery recharging becomes a PITA.

I wonder what causes MOST people to upgrade to a newer model (I understand some love to upgrade every year or two just for the heck of it, but I suspect that is a minority.)

So, how many years do most keep their current model, and what causes them to want to upgrade?

* Battery not providing enough hours of charge? Do many folks pay the $100 +/- to have a new one installed?
    * New, "gotta have" features? If so, what sort of features and why?
    * Damaged phone?

Finally, as of July 2021, what model is worthwhile beyond the S9 and what features make it so?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Personally, I get a new model phone under a few circumstances. Primarily if a new network or technology becomes available I am usually an early adopter. Secondly if something starts to fail, I don't like to try to take it to a repair facility when typically it is cheaper to replace. I average 2-3 years before getting a new phone.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    My last phone had only 1 speaker. I got the Moto G Stylus 2020 stereo speakers & got in on the crazy TF Amazon deal months ago. I'll edit later to share why I got other phones.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 5G, a32 5G, S10+, iPhone 12 mini, bunch of others
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Red Pocket, 3UK, VodaFone
    Feedback Score
    I went from S10+ to S21 5G strictly to investigate how 5G performed. Plus there were some super prices earlier this year, both from carriers and manufacturers, that offered way above market trade-in values.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Almost identical for me

Quote Originally Posted by Colecaz View Post
    I went from S10+ to S21 5G strictly to investigate how 5G performed. Plus there were some super prices earlier this year, both from carriers and manufacturers, that offered way above market trade-in values.
    Instead I upgraded from S9+ to the S21 5G for the same reasons.

Feedback Score
    I tend to early adopt based on price incentives for newer models. Got my S20 a year ago on a lease deal for $10/mo for 18 months. Did the same for my LG V20 before that.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I bought a Galaxy Note 9 when it was released in 2018. I have no intention of replacing it till it stops working. Has been 3 years and other than a slight decrease in the battery time it is still going strong.
    Pakistan Zindabad!

Past Phones:

Nokia:
    5160 | 3310 | 7110 | 8210 | 5210 | 7250 | 7250i | 7600 | 3200 | 6230 | 6600
    Motorola: V50 | V3 RZR
    Sony Ericsson: T68i
    Samsung: A800 | T100 | D500 | D600
    HandSpring: Treo 600
    PalmOne: Treo 650 | Treo 680
    Huawei: IDEOS U8150
    BLU: Life Play
    Motorola: Moto G (2nd Generation)
    LG: G4

Samsung:
    Galaxy Note 9 <- Current

Device(s)
    Changes Daily
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I like the latest and greatest, to be honest, and through my job I'm able to not only use all 3 carriers, but also get the newest devices.

If I had to buy my own devices, I would look at upgrading every other year, simply because the upgrades are not worth it on an annual basis.

Current Phones
    - Galaxy Z Fold 3 (Sprint TNX)
    - Galaxy S21 Ultra (Verizon)
    - Galaxy Note20 Ultra (AT&T Physical SIM, T-Mobile eSIM)

My replies contain my opinion on the matters which have been posted, and do not represent the rules and regulations of my employer and should not be taken as such.

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am "upgrading" from the S21 that I've only had six months to the Samsung Z Flip 3. Purely for the foldable feature. I have always liked flip phones but when I went to a smart phone I lost the flip style. I have had my eye on the Z Flip since it came out but waited until it was improved some and cost less. I feel that regular smart phones are getting just too big.

I realize the camera isn't as good and that the battery is smaller but I don't think either is going to be too much of a issue for me. I don't take a lot of pictures and I am normally close to a charger.

Perhaps I'll regret it but I don't think so.

Sent from my SM-T870 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9700 Bold 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjack22 View Post
    I am "upgrading" from the S21 that I've only had six months to the Samsung Z Flip 3. Purely for the foldable feature. I have always liked flip phones but when I went to a smart phone I lost the flip style. I have had my eye on the Z Flip since it came out but waited until it was improved some and cost less. I feel that regular smart phones are getting just too big.

I realize the camera isn't as good and that the battery is smaller but I don't think either is going to be too much of a issue for me. I don't take a lot of pictures and I am normally close to a charger.

Perhaps I'll regret it but I don't think so.

Sent from my SM-T870 using HoFo mobile app
    I don’t think you will. From the reviews I have seen from reviewers on YouTube they seem to like it. I traded in some devices and I’m hoping to get it soon. I hope you like it when you get it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you! I am excited and can't wait to get it! Because I chose a 256 GB model (because the price was the same so why not) and went with white I have to wait 5-6 weeks for it. I could have had black immediately but I have never been a fan of black. I really like the purple or cream versions but they were not available in the 256 GM size. I will have a cover on it anyway so its not a big deal. I am feeling a little guilty because I haven't had my S21 for very long but the Z Flip has been on my radar since it came out.

Feedback Score
    I'm still happy with my Samsung Galaxy S7. A refurbished one from Tracfone (now unlocked). I am still using it because of the small size. It still works well, good battery life, so I will use it for another year or so. I have an IPhone SE 2020, about the same size as the S7, that I will probably move to next.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
    I wonder what causes MOST people to upgrade to a newer model (I understand some love to upgrade every year or two just for the heck of it, but I suspect that is a minority.)
    Quote Originally Posted by DevalB View Post
    If I had to buy my own devices, I would look at upgrading every other year, simply because the upgrades are not worth it on an annual basis.
    I upgrade every year because of trade-in policy at Samsung web store. I get the latest device with little money.

I had an S7 Edge that is still functional with my mom (over WiFI, she doesn't like to carry it).
    I bought an used S9. Battery life was disappointing.
    S10 came along and Samsung gave me a huge discount if I traded in my S9 - more than I have paid for it used. They added some other store credits (bought some accessories, chargers, a watch). Fresh battery.
    S20 came along, again the same deal - $750 trade in for S10 plus instant store credit - I think I got a Galaxy Tab A7 tablet and some wireless AKG N60 headphones (for $25). S20 promised 5G and better cameras, the 5G was spotty, cameras were great. Fresh battery.
    S21 came along - this time I got the S21+. Again some $700 buy-back and some instant store credit - I got the Galaxy Buds + free and Galaxy Watch3 too, trading in my Galaxy Watch. The 5G on the S21 really works this time, a few more of new bands can be used too.
    All in all, every year upgrade costs me $200-300 and I get the latest phone with a fresh battery and a couple of goodies.
    Samsung store gives some % discounts for educational, government, first responders... and those phones are unlocked for all carriers, including International (I travel and use local SIM cards).
    They give the maximum trade-in discounts for last model phones, if you jump over a generation, discount really drops, better off selling it privately. If you jump over two generations... good luck selling that. An S10 now is about $200, S9 is $120 on Swappa.

If I would be tempted to get a foldable now, they will give $700 trade-in for my S21+, plus some instant store credit (good for chargers and such). On Swappa I can probably get $650 if I wait, and then pay sale fees. And risk to get tangled with scammers - ebay is full of them and their seller fees are astronomical.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 11-02-2021 at 04:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    Is the topic restricted to just upgrading Samgungs?
    A couple of important reasons to upgrade (any brand) are
    • Need up-to-date operating system to handle one's desired apps
    • Need for larger storage on a device

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Is the topic restricted to just upgrading Samgungs?
    A couple of important reasons to upgrade (any brand) are
    • Need up-to-date operating system to handle one's desired apps
    • Need for larger storage on a device
    No, it is not restricted to just Samsung phones. You make excellent points.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast