Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATT playing games with grandfathered DTV unlimited accounts

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Visible, AT&T 2016 UL, Mobley CCU, ATT 500GB rural plan
    Feedback Score

ATT playing games with grandfathered DTV unlimited accounts

For the last 2 years, AT&T has my unlimited 2016 grandfathered (hotspots) account flagged, and Att locks my online ID monthly with messages stating that my access user ID is locked, as well as a message when I log in stating “let’s make sure it’s really you”. This supposedly sends a text to a number that never arrives.

The problem is, I was able to navigate around those messages with certain “tools”, but seems like they’ve cracked down harder this month. Anyone else getting funny stuff from att with their grandfathered unlimited accounts?

Really hate having to call them monthly to make payments, and I’ve spent roughly 63+ hours on the phone (with 1 ticket) with no resolution. They on purpose send me in circles, knowing the things they have me try with other “reps” will not work.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile made points when they called AT&T part of a duopoly. No company with ample competition could treat customers like that and survive.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Visible, AT&T 2016 UL, Mobley CCU, ATT 500GB rural plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    T-Mobile made points when they called AT&T part of a duopoly. No company with ample competition could treat customers like that and survive.
    I’m just about done with them, I’ve gotten to the point where the reps are reading the notes, and I actually think it says in there to tell me there’s nothing they can do. All the reps have that same blanket response now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Depending on where you’re located and whether you still need truly unlimited hotspotting, it might be worth holding out until December and then switching to Verizon: If you’re within C-Band coverage once they turn it on and you’re on a premium unlimited plan, you get truly unlimited data and hotspot usage because their C-Band is branded “5G Ultra Wideband”.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedius View Post
    For the last 2 years, AT&T has my unlimited 2016 grandfathered (hotspots) account flagged, and Att locks my online ID monthly with messages stating that my access user ID is locked, as well as a message when I log in stating “let’s make sure it’s really you”. This supposedly sends a text to a number that never arrives.

The problem is, I was able to navigate around those messages with certain “tools”, but seems like they’ve cracked down harder this month. Anyone else getting funny stuff from att with their grandfathered unlimited accounts?

Really hate having to call them monthly to make payments, and I’ve spent roughly 63+ hours on the phone (with 1 ticket) with no resolution. They on purpose send me in circles, knowing the things they have me try with other “reps” will not work.
    Att is doing similar with a friends account. I was wondering what was going on

I'm on the elite plan now but my line got suspended when I put my sim in my iPhone SE 2020. That phone shouldn't do that. Worked late last night so drove home late at night with no phone service.

That phone shouldn't suspend the account in any way shape or form.

Sent from my U705AA using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Depending on where you’re located and whether you still need truly unlimited hotspotting, it might be worth holding out until December and then switching to Verizon: If you’re within C-Band coverage once they turn it on and you’re on a premium unlimited plan, you get truly unlimited data and hotspot usage because their C-Band is branded “5G Ultra Wideband”.
    That's what I may do. Happy with att network but the phone suspensions on phones perfectly capable, the billing issues, and the bad cs may push me to Verizon.

Verizon has congestion now but I like their mm wave plans and build so far. The c band will be nice once that's out

The suspending of my line is what made me look elsewhere. Using phones on their list and still get suspended. Feels like att doesn't want my business

My moto G7 power worked for a month and then just suspended an hour ago. Not in the mood to contact att so I'll do it in a little bit. Until then I have no phone service with att. Been using my Verizon prepaid line

Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Another factor to consider is that mmWave will actually reach most of the outdoor coverage currently reached by LTE solely by adding mmW antennas to the existing cell grid, and for C-Band it approaches 100%: https://www.rcrwireless.com/20181023...erage-qualcomm

My interpretation is that Verizon (and the other carriers) haven’t yet exploited how surprisingly good mmWave’s outdoor coverage is because they’ve been waiting for the tech to mature, and that once it does (idk exactly what they’re waiting for), they’ll begin adding mmWave antennas to (most of?) the macro grid. Anyway, all the signs point to very widespread availability of Verizon’s 5G UW network in the near to medium term future.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Another factor to consider is that mmWave will actually reach most of the outdoor coverage currently reached by LTE solely by adding mmW antennas to the existing cell grid, and for C-Band it approaches 100%: https://www.rcrwireless.com/20181023...erage-qualcomm

My interpretation is that Verizon (and the other carriers) haven’t yet exploited how surprisingly good mmWave’s outdoor coverage is because they’ve been waiting for the tech to mature, and that once it does (idk exactly what they’re waiting for), they’ll begin adding mmWave antennas to (most of?) the macro grid. Anyway, all the signs point to very widespread availability of Verizon’s 5G UW network in the near to medium term future.
    mmWave has surprisingly good range when the right equipment is involved. Last December I saw an article from Qualcomm and Ericsson getting like 700 Mbps from a tower that was 6.5 kilometers away. Granted they did have a special antenna to receive and transmit the signal back to the macro site that the mmWave equipment was on.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    And even if only half of all outdoor traffic got offloaded to mmWave, that would make the lower bands much faster.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    And even if only half of all outdoor traffic got offloaded to mmWave, that would make the lower bands much faster.
    Yup. In theory Between C-Band and mmWave users could be up to 2 or 3 miles from the tower and not even need the current low/midband lte signals for coverage. This would drastically free up space and speed things up with the lower bands. At that point people would only even need to use low band frequencies at the cell edge and deep inside buildings, and even then it would be quicker because those bands would have less users.

This is one reason I’m personally a fan of having "speed tiers" instead of specific spectrum access. If you gave lower plans a capped speed for users that were close to the tower and able to connect to UWB then it would speed things up for those who are still on the same tower but out of UWB range because the remaining spectrum will have less users.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Although it’s not out yet IMO in its own weird way Verizon’s plans will be very similar (although the GB number may be different) to AT&T and T-Mobile. Basically once the c-band deployment becomes live any time you are within a few miles of a site then none of your data use will count towards your “bucket”. So I may still only have 50GB of premium data but my bucket would almost never get used (depending on where you live).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    This is one reason I’m personally a fan of having "speed tiers" instead of specific spectrum access. If you gave lower plans a capped speed for users that were close to the tower and able to connect to UWB then it would speed things up for those who are still on the same tower but out of UWB range because the remaining spectrum will have less users.
    yeah it’s dumb af that Verizon denies access to 5G UW if you aren’t on a premium unlimited plan when it should instead be that tiered data users get full speed 5G UW access and the budget plans get a ceiling of like, idk, 200 Mbps (since 4G’s initial promise was 100 Mbps and therefore delivering 200 Mbps to the budget plans still represents an upgrade that can act as a carrot to hesitant customers)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You’re talking about the hotspot on the phone right? Not a dedicated hotspot device. And do you know if this is only when you’re on 5G or would you still be unlimited if you were in a LTE area?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    ...This is one reason I’m personally a fan of having "speed tiers" instead of specific spectrum access...
    Heck yes, I would consider going Verizon or AT&T postpaid with speed throttled to 10 Mbps or so if the price was not much more than Tracfone.

It's not going to happen.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    You’re talking about the hotspot on the phone right? Not a dedicated hotspot device. And do you know if this is only when you’re on 5G or would you still be unlimited if you were in a LTE area?
    Yes, unfortunately Verizon is still bizarrely only offering truly unlimited 5G UW hotspot for phones. The $30/month Unlimited Plus plan does include truly unlimited on-device 5G UW usage for devices with built-in 5G UW such as the 2021 iPad Pro, but mobile hotspot is 30 GB of full-speed LTE or 5G Nationwide followed by 128 Kbps and 50 GB of full-speed 5G UW followed by 3 Mbps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast