Thread: CDMA network on 3G for week and slow

Feedback Score

CDMA network on 3G for week and slow

I am on the old CDMA network and the last week it has been on 3G almost all the time.

However, often my speed is 120 kbps or less and I should not be throttled.

I sometimes get LTE a few times a day for about 5 minutes with normal speeds then switches back to 3G.

I don't think it is my phone and I don't want to contact tech support because I doubt they can help and they might ask me to reset my phone.

I wonder if they are not maintaining the CDMA towers because they are going to shut them down.

I am worried that service on the CDMA towers is going to continue to be bad and boost is not going allow moving to the new t-mobile network which would have good service.

Feedback Score
    Same problems on the Verizon CDMA network too as they stop supporting it before the shutdown. You need to have a T-Mobile compatible VoLTE phone to get off Boost/Sprint CDMA. I doubt they are going to let you on the T-Mobile network without one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Same problems on the Verizon CDMA network too as they stop supporting it before the shutdown. You need to have a T-Mobile compatible VoLTE phone to get off Boost/Sprint CDMA. I doubt they are going to let you on the T-Mobile network without one.
    I have the unlocked moto e4 universal phone.

Also I would buy a new phone if I have to.

I know I can switch to the new network anytime I want if I buy a new phone and switch to a new plan.

But I want to switch to the new network and keep my grandfathered plan and they have not told me if I can do this so that is the problem.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post

I know I can switch to the new network anytime I want if I buy a new phone and switch to a new plan.

But I want to switch to the new network and keep my grandfathered plan and they have not told me if I can do this so that is the problem.
    I'm wondering if they are doing this on purpose to make you buy a new phone and get a new plan. If the old plans are taken out of the system, there would be nothing anyone could do to put you on a new phone and to keep your old plan. Slow speeds like that can happen when towers are being upgraded, so I'm curious if that is happening in your area.

I'd say your best bet is to call customer care and see if they know of any upgrades or towers being down near you. While on the phone, you may see if they say they can put you on a new phone and keep your plan. If they can, that may be the only way to get a new phone and keep the same plan.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    I'm wondering if they are doing this on purpose to make you buy a new phone and get a new plan.
    That would be a logical answer. It is well known that CDMA is scheduled to finally be shut down in early 2022. It is in the carrier's best interest to get all users on the newer technology phones. If history repeats itself, the carrier could send out a cheap 4G phone to any user who doesn't already have/use one like At&t did when they shut down their 2G networks.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post

The problem is not so much with the Moto E4 being VoLTE capable, as it is the Sprint network not having VoLTE. Reports indicate it will run on VoLTE on other carriers. Your present plan locks you to the old Sprint network. You may get some 4G LTE data, but not VoLTE calling. Sprint customers are going to have the same problem soon, and will likely have to give up their old plans.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The problem is not so much with the Moto E4 being VoLTE capable, as it is the Sprint network not having VoLTE. Reports indicate it will run on VoLTE on other carriers. Your present plan locks you to the old Sprint network. You may get some 4G LTE data, but not VoLTE calling. Sprint customers are going to have the same problem soon, and will likely have to give up their old plans.
    Sprint has had VoLTE on compatible devices for awhile now. My Sprint LG G8 had it working last year.

Feedback Score
    I am still getting 3G and usually slower than 3G speeds around 120 kbps or slower.

I am guessing they are either slow to fix or not going to fix their CDMA towers. I keep hoping they will fix it and I can get LTE again.

I don't know how their system works but it seems like they might have a problem with the CDMA LTE tower so they switch it to 3G instead of fixing the problem.

This article below says that they expected churn and upgrades to solve the migration problem so in other words they were not planning on migrating anyone.

This is why I think they are not doing anything to migrate their customers. They want you to buy a new phone and pick a new plan on your own and in the process lose any grandfathered plans you might have.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...r-boost-mobile

What T-Mobile 3G CDMA shutdown means for Boost Mobile

Plans already were in place to migrate Boost customers over at a pace that aligns with organic churn and upgrades, according to Stokols, as “the T-Mobile network is a better experience for our customers than the old Sprint CDMA network.” But the January 2022 timeframe means that now needs to happen about 18-24 months sooner than Boost had planned for, he said.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    Sprint has had VoLTE on compatible devices for awhile now. My Sprint LG G8 had it working last year.
    Widely reported that Sprint had VoLTE only in some areas. T-Mobile is not going to upgrade that network.

Feedback Score
    I tested at a different location and get normal speed with LTE.

It might be just my home location that has slow 3g speed.

I am still getting slow 3g speed most the time around 120 kbps or slower for over a week now at my home location.

Feedback Score
    When I called in to get my account number they said I was eligible to get a free sim and change to the new network.

They also offered to help see if they could fix the problem of slow data.

However, I already decided to change to visible not just because of the slow data problem but also because visible has unlimited hotspot and I am always running out of hotspot which was limited to 12 GB on boost.

Also they were very nice on the phone.

Feedback Score
    Today I got visible activated and I am now able to get normal Internet speeds again.

With visible I get 2 mbps hotspot and 2.0 mbps on the phone.

On boost at my home I was getting 3G and really slow like 120 kbps or slower most of the time. It was sometimes as slow a 2 kbps. So it was unusable a lot of the time.

On boost as soon as I travel to a nearby house I get LTE and 5 mbps.

So I think something was wrong with the tower at my home for over 2 weeks causing it to be slow.

If my internet was not so slow I would not have changed to visible now but I was considering eventually changing to visible anyway because it has unlimited hotspot.