Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon wins Rootmetrics, AT&T super close, T-Mobile still sucks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon wins Rootmetrics, AT&T super close, T-Mobile still sucks.

AT&T wins data, speed and ties with text. Verizon wins overall, reliability, accessibility, call performance and ties text.

https://rootmetrics.com/en-US/conten...-union-1h-2021

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post

AT&T wins data, speed and ties with text. Verizon wins overall, reliability, accessibility, call performance and ties text.

https://rootmetrics.com/en-US/conten...-union-1h-2021
    Interesting. With all of the hype and hoopla we see about T-Mo, I did not realize that they are still that weak nation wide. I know they are no damn good around where I live. Coverage is king for me. I don't go sit next to cell towers and collect speed tests like some kind of train-spotter freak.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Its funny how Rootmetrics always manages to find Verizon first (16 times in a row) yet others don't.

OpenSignal puts T-Mobile first.

So does Ookla.

Rootmetrics found T-Mobile leads in 5G availability.

T-Mobile suffers in speed rankings because of their 5G SA network too. When my 12 Pro Max gets kicked to the n71 5G SA network, my speeds do drop from around 300 average to around 25, but my latency gets cut down to like a quarter or less and the connection strength is usually stronger too. The problem with this is my phone prefers SA because of the signal strength and so I often end up getting those slower speeds - that's likely skewing test results as well.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    Its funny how Rootmetrics always manages to find Verizon first (16 times in a row) yet others don't.

OpenSignal puts T-Mobile first.

So does Ookla.

Rootmetrics found T-Mobile leads in 5G availability.

T-Mobile suffers in speed rankings because of their 5G SA network too. When my 12 Pro Max gets kicked to the n71 5G SA network, my speeds do drop from around 300 average to around 25, but my latency gets cut down to like a quarter or less and the connection strength is usually stronger too. The problem with this is my phone prefers SA because of the signal strength and so I often end up getting those slower speeds - that's likely skewing test results as well.
    Because rootmetrics tests differently than those other 2. Those other 2 rely on crowdsourced user data, rootmetrics does drive tests themselves. Nothing really funny about it at all. Different source points for all the tests. They are all correct in what they are testing and the methods they are using. T-mobile lags behind the other 2 carriers in national coverage, and reliability. This isn't life changing news, or even news at all.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Because rootmetrics tests differently than those other 2. Those other 2 rely on crowdsourced user data, rootmetrics does drive tests themselves. Nothing really funny about it at all. Different source points for all the tests. They are all correct in what they are testing and the methods they are using. T-mobile lags behind the other 2 carriers in national coverage, and reliability. This isn't life changing news, or even news at all.
    To me the crowdsourced data has always been more relevant than the numbers provided by RootMetrics. In fact they claim that Verizon is the best in my area when they are, unequivocally, the absolute worst across the board for me. RootMetrics has been accused of manipulating results in favor of Verizon before and when you see all the complaints about Verizon in the same areas that RootMetrics ranks them so high, it’s not hard to see why. I don’t even bother with them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    To me the crowdsourced data has always been more relevant than the numbers provided by RootMetrics. In fact they claim that Verizon is the best in my area when they are, unequivocally, the absolute worst across the board for me. RootMetrics has been accused of manipulating results in favor of Verizon before and when you see all the complaints about Verizon in the same areas that RootMetrics ranks them so high, it’s not hard to see why. I don’t even bother with them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The problem with crowdsourced data is your reference points are generally only going to be in areas where a carrier offers service. Using TMobile as an example, very few people are uploading data in areas where TMobile is poor, as most people in those areas don't have TMobile, so crowdsourced data paints an incomplete picture.

Rootmetrics has been accused of manipulating data, by TMobile. It's like the loser of an election, claiming it was rigged, or the loser of a MMA fight claiming the loss was "illegitimate". These arent exactly unbiased accusations.

As far as whether or not to pay the tests any mind, they all show different data and test different things. Not much stock should be put into any of them as an individual test, as all of them have flaws. Use whatever works for you.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    The problem with crowdsourced data is your reference points are generally only going to be in areas where a carrier offers service. Using TMobile as an example, very few people are uploading data in areas where TMobile is poor, as most people in those areas don't have TMobile, so crowdsourced data paints an incomplete picture.

Rootmetrics has been accused of manipulating data, by TMobile. It's like the loser of an election, claiming it was rigged.
    I mean yeah, I'm generally checking areas where I want to use my service though so I appreciate the ability to find out what it will be like in my neighborhood versus downtown where I never go.

Of course it's the losers who complain about data manipulation because why would the winner complain?

ETA: I agree that not much stock should be put into any one test. For me though, as long as RootMetrics keeps crowning Verizon over at&t here, I can't trust them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    AT&T won the speed, data and shared the text win. AT&T was only 0.4% behind Verizon overall, and less than 1.3% behind in the other categories they lost. The biggest difference between AT&T and Verizon was the speed score, which AT&T won by 1.8%.

Generally, I've found Rootmetrics to be pretty accurate. I will say this, the phones that RM uses are not subject to network management. Congestion is a major issue on Verizon, and that could explain some of the difference between the average user and the RM results. I travel all over for work, and AT&T works much better for me 90% of the time. Congestion and reliability issues (mostly in 5G markets ironically) are the biggest issues for me on Verizon. However, Verizon is more reliable in other areas because AT&T simply doesn't have the density yet.

As for T-Mobile, just look at any crowdsourced map and you'll see the difference between them and the big 2. Coverage, reliability and redundancy (no backup power, overlapping sites, redundant fiber, etc) are still major problems for them. Speeds have also started to take a hit in a lot of areas as well.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 7.57.59 PM.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  26.0 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 7.55.02 PM.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  77.3 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 7.55.40 PM.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  75.4 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 7.56.25 PM.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  80.7 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That’s the problem with a lot of different tests.

If the results don’t validate a users “chosen carrier” then they just simply say the test isn’t valid or accurate.

A lot of people don’t like Root Metrics reports but it’s the only report that is a pure apples to apples test in the same locations at the same time. All of the other tests are simply just the analysis of pooled data.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Unless I'm misunderstanding. I don't trust crowdsourcing for these tests. I think TM fanboys tilt the results.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Generally, I've found Rootmetrics to be pretty accurate.

I travel all over for work, and AT&T works much better for me 90% of the time.

Verizon is more reliable in other areas because AT&T simply doesn't have the density yet.
    What testing methods did you use to come up with these conclusions?

In terms of 5G reliability, coverage and speeds which carrier would you use?

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's like the loser of an election, claiming it was rigged, or the loser of a MMA fight claiming the loss was "illegitimate". These arent exactly unbiased accusations.
    Name:  5D357C75-88BC-4B89-B4E1-8C33ADEF3B99.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  87.4 KB

You don’t say.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    What testing methods did you use to come up with these conclusions?

In terms of 5G reliability, coverage and speeds which carrier would you use?

I use real world experience to come up with my conclusions. I’ve driven through/stayed in 33 states in the past year and some change. I just got back from a two week trip with stops in Nashville, St Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, Chicago, Detroit and back to Charlotte.

I have business lines on AT&T and Verizon, and was running a test drive T-Mobile esim on this last trip.

AT&T has been rock solid for me lately. This last trip for example, it only cut out twice going through tunnels on I-77 in Virginia. It was also slow in parts of Iowa and in my Detroit hotel room (still usable). AT&T was the best just about everywhere else.

Verizon cut out in parts of Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, southeastern Ohio and West Virginia. There was no service in my hotel room in Nashville (5G area). The data was frequently unusable due to congestion. I was stuck in traffic for an hour on I-70 between St Louis and Kansas City and couldn’t use the data at all. Same experience during rush hour everywhere and randomly through my trip. I also hit some 3G roaming on Highway 33 in southeastern Ohio/western West Virginia.

T-Mobile was very spotty. Pockets of fast speeds surrounded by slow data and coverage gaps. Poor indoor coverage and reliability as well. They were definitely the worst outside of the major metros. Speed wise they did beat Verizon in the major cities, but the reliability and coverage issues make it not worth it. They are not on the same level as the other two. I was happy to drop them after the “test drive”.

Feedback Score

Verizon Wins Rootmetrics, AT&T Super Close, T-Mobile Still Sucks

I use real world experience to come up with my conclusions...They were definitely the worst outside of the major metros. Speed wise they did beat Verizon in the major cities, but the reliability and coverage issues make it not worth it. They are not on the same level as the other two. I was happy to drop them after the “test drive”.
    I would agree with that. I have used AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon, so I have experience with ALL of them. I originally went from Nextel to T-Mobile because it was inexpensive.

After gaining experience with T-Mobile, I learned of the shortcomings in coverage. I went to contract AT&T when they had some sort of a deal for bring your own phones. That prompted me to carrier subsidy unlock my phones that were previously on T-Mobile. The AT&T coverage was clearly better where I traveled.

I switched to Verizon after hearing and reading so many comments that it was king of coverage. Originally, I went regular postpaid Verizon, which was expensive. I switched to Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) and stayed there for a few years.

My wife and I get in some very remote areas while ATVing in Minnesota and Wisconsin. In the meantime, I started bringing an AT&T hotspot along to compare. Not scientific, but basically "if/when I lose Verizon coverage, does AT&T have coverage there." I found that quite often AT&T did have coverage in the areas that Verizon didn't have coverage. As a result, I went to the prepaid AT&T $25 8GB deal for $300 (which was $270 by buying prepaid $50 cards at Target).

For the moment, I think that Verizon might have the edge in coverage around the entire United States. However, AT&T is the king of coverage in Minnesota and Wisconsin where I am most frequently.

Now if you simply must have coverage everywhere, without getting a satellite phone, you really ought to consider having something on BOTH AT&T AND Verizon, even if it is simply a smartphone on one and a modest amount of service on the competing carrier.

Now, having written all of the above, I do have T-Mobile Home Internet for home use! I do have great coverage at my farm and data speeds are generally quite good.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This makes me wonder whether anyone here has ever encountered an area with T-Mobile coverage but without AT&T or Verizon coverage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast