Thread: Best experience from the carrier with the worst coverage! WTF

Feedback Score

Exclamation Best experience from the carrier with the worst coverage! WTF

Not sure why but I have tried AT&T [PureTalk] (Would not get reception in some buildings), T-Mobile [Metro PCS and Red Pocket] (Voicemail notification would never come up on multiple phones when someone would leave a message), Sprint [Boost Mobile] (Couldn't upload a map on the road when I needed it and had a dropped call at home), and currently Verizon [Red Pocket] (Often phone does not ring, sometimes people have trouble hearing me on their end). Out of all of them, the one that provided me the least headaches was oddly enough, Sprint which is supposed to have the worst coverage in my state of FL! I don't drive a lot, maybe an hour or so away from home but I think Sprint worked out best for me. Any idea why this would be the case? I'm thinking about going back to Sprint on Red Pocket once my annual plan expires.

Is Sprint CDMAS with Red Pocket different than T-Mobile GMST? I'm confused because I thought Sprint merged with T-Mobile and does not exist anymore.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, ZTE F160, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Freedompop, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Sprint is now owned by T-Mobile, but its network is still in use. T-Mobile plans to shut down the Sprint CDMA 3G network on Jan. 1, 2022.
    If you sign up for Red Pocket Sprint service now, I'm sure that Red Pocket will transition you to T-Mobile when it becomes necessary.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Sprint isn't going to be a viable option for long. They're shutting down the 3G network in January and the LTE network in June.

The reason Sprint performs better likely has a lot to do with the fact they just built their network better than T-Mobile in the places they offered service. Up until T-Mobile converted Sprint's B41 LTE to n41 5G, Sprint was the only carrier in my area that could pull 100Mbps down or more pretty much all day long. I hardly ever had dropped calls and my signal was consistently decent anywhere in my local area but the issue with Sprint is that outside of that area, you drop to no coverage while the others would have something whether it was stable or not.

Keep in mind that Sprint didn't have as many bands to deal with either though. T-Mobile uses 2/4/5/12/66/71 for LTE and Sprint used 25/26/41.

FWIW, I'm not having the voicemail indicator issue on Tello (T-Mobile MVNO). Even when they didn't have access to visual voicemail on iPhone for awhile, the regular indicator would pop up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    FWIW, I'm not having the voicemail indicator issue on Tello (T-Mobile MVNO). Even when they didn't have access to visual voicemail on iPhone for awhile, the regular indicator would pop up.
    I wonder if I was having the problem because I was using an Android phone. I have never had an iphone before.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    I wonder if I was having the problem because I was using an Android phone. I have never had an iphone before.
    The indicator when they had their issue where visual voicemail wasn’t working should have been done the same way Android does it I would assume but nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think sprint has a better network. What you're likely experiencing is the fact that many have already migrated off of sprint's network so utilization is much less than say 6 months or a year ago.