Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is T-Mobile Coverage getting Worse or better than when John Legere was there?

Feedback Score

Is T-Mobile Coverage getting Worse or better than when John Legere was there?

I think many people felt T-Mobile had a great upward trajectory of growth in coverage and speeds a year ago.

I now have observed folks who seem to think T-Mobile growth has stopped? I tested T-Mobile recently with Tello and the speeds were good. Are Verizon and AT&T upping their game or is T-Mobile signaling a return monetizing everything at the cost of customers? Or why are people so negative on T-Mobile these days?

I just want some proof before I believe T-Mobile is the worse choice of the three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Coverage has improved, but not at the pace TMobile would like you to believe, other things have gotten worse. C.S. has taken a nosedive since they moved them to almost 100% offshore reps. T-force is still alright, but, this is a far cry from the "team of experts" c.s. Legere promised years ago. TMobile is in a weird spot, they want to be thought of in the same breath as Verizon and at&t, but don't like the criticism that comes with being a Verizon or an at&t. It will be interesting to see what happens with them in a few years, there are already areas where their "ultra capacity" 5G is showing signs of congestion, they really haven't invested much in mmwave for urban areas, and plan to reduce CAPEX over the next few years. Be interesting to see how they pull it all off. (Though I stand by my prediction, in a few years I feel Deutsche Telekom sells off TMUS to one of the big cable companies).

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    In my area T-Mobile has improved a bunch. They converted Sprint's B41 to n41 5G which usually gives me 300-500Mbps speeds all around town as long as my phone connects to it. Unfortunately my phone prefers their n71 5G SA which runs more like 20-25Mbps.

LTE speeds have actually gone down considerably. Six months ago they were around 50-100Mbps during peak times and now they're more like 20-50Mbps during peak. Its still usable but a large drop.

There are a few places around town where I have observed my phone drop to 3G and even 2G and I live in a suburb of Denver, not the middle of nowhere, so that has been frustrating when it happens. It usually happens, of course, when I actually need my phone for something.

I give T-Mobile a pass on this stuff for now. Every network transition has been rough with them (I became a customer when I was 17, right before their name changed from VoiceStream to T-Mobile) compared to Verizon and at&t which were always incremental and mostly non-disruptive.

I have noticed none of the 5G congestion being spoke about unless I get kicked to the SA network. A quick outbound call gets me out of that situation though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    In my area T-Mobile has improved a bunch. They converted Sprint's B41 to n41 5G which usually gives me 300-500Mbps speeds all around town as long as my phone connects to it. Unfortunately my phone prefers their n71 5G SA which runs more like 20-25Mbps.

LTE speeds have actually gone down considerably. Six months ago they were around 50-100Mbps during peak times and now they're more like 20-50Mbps during peak. Its still usable but a large drop.

There are a few places around town where I have observed my phone drop to 3G and even 2G and I live in a suburb of Denver, not the middle of nowhere, so that has been frustrating when it happens. It usually happens, of course, when I actually need my phone for something.

I give T-Mobile a pass on this stuff for now. Every network transition has been rough with them (I became a customer when I was 17, right before their name changed from VoiceStream to T-Mobile) compared to Verizon and at&t which were always incremental and mostly non-disruptive.

I have noticed none of the 5G congestion being spoke about unless I get kicked to the SA network. A quick outbound call gets me out of that situation though.
    Yes that was kind of my thought, people should cut them a bit of slack. They have a network merger to complete and a pandemic. People should be taking notice of their improvements. But now that they are sort of up there with with AT&T and Verizon on speed and 5G, now folks want them to reach all the remote spots where the other two have coverage.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekfranz View Post
    …Or why are people so negative on T-Mobile these days?

I just want some proof before I believe T-Mobile is the worse choice of the three.

T-Mo has a lot of work to do. Jan. 1. 2021, Apr. 1, 2021, and now Jul. 1, 2021 have all come and gone.

Locally, Sprint was better but spotty. Download speed was 1-2 times faster with Sprint, and Upload speed was 1-10 times faster with Sprint. The good news is that the speeds surely can only get better.

iPhone X (no B71 and no 5G)

Outdoors at home in Suburbia/Rural fringe
    (date of post)

Indoors at home in Suburbia/Rural fringe
    (date of post)

One Plus N10 5G (Android 10)

Outdoors at home and same date as post
    - Download is 27.9 Mbps (5G), and
    - Upload is 0.90 Mbps

Indoors at home and same date as post
    - No service - 2G

Patience is a virtue and the window is closing at an accelerating pace. Jan. 1, 2022?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    LTE tests are mostly Tello, 5G tests are T-Mobile Connect and Test Drive.

This is around Littleton, CO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    LTE tests are mostly Tello, 5G tests are T-Mobile Connect and Test Drive.

This is around Littleton, CO.

Seems like T-Mobile is prioritizing speed on 5G devices according to those tests. That could make some folks unhappy on LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Seems like T-Mobile is prioritizing speed on 5G devices according to those tests. That could make some folks unhappy on LTE.

T-Mobile has converted Sprint’s B41 LTE to n41 5G here and it shows. I mean it’s incredibly fast. I got this in a moving vehicle.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes that was kind of my thought, people should cut them a bit of slack. They have a network merger to complete and a pandemic. People should be taking notice of their improvements. But now that they are sort of up there with with AT&T and Verizon on speed and 5G, now folks want them to reach all the remote spots where the other two have coverage.

Well, t-mobile advertises themselves as on par, if not better than Verizon and at&t and advertises that users on those networks can switch to t-mobile and get the same, if not better service for a cheaper price. So why blame people for "being hard on them" when they are the ones advertising this? That's like me claiming to be the greatest basketball player ever, and when I get beat claiming everyone is being hard on me because I tried really hard in the game. Doesn't work that way. If they want to be truly thought of on the same level as Verizon and at&t, that also comes with the criticism of a Verizon and at&t. If they don't want the criticism those 2 companies face daily, dont market yourself as an equal to them.

Whether or not t-mobile is as good, or better than Verizon and at&t is entirely market dependant. In some areas yes, in others no. In those areas that it's a no, those people do have a right to be critical when all they've been bombarded with is ads from t-mobile saying how good they are and how great their 5G coverage is compared to the other guys. T-mobile isn't shy about advertising.

Feedback Score
    This last paragraph. Do you get what he is saying? I mean he gets his point across clearly. I agree with the commentary tenfold.

Whether or not t-mobile is as good, or better than Verizon and at&t is entirely market dependant. In some areas yes, in others no. In those areas that it's a no, those people do have a right to be critical when all they've been bombarded with is ads from t-mobile saying how good they are and how great their 5G coverage is compared to the other guys. T-mobile isn't shy about advertising.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    I don't care about getting the fastest speeds all the time, it's cute but it doesn't help 95% of what you do on a phone (assuming you are getting at least 10mb down and 5mbp up)

My complaint is service is going downhill. Speed test results are 1/2 what they were last year. Upload speeds everywhere are abysmal and that impacts video calling, file uploads, etc. Every day I get some sort of error using a website or app.

Not being able to complete a Google search when I am 2100 feet from a tower and get decent signals is unacceptable. It is nothing near the "fastest" or "most reliable" 5G network like they claim. And I'm not complaining about a random issue one day, it happened last month, last week, this week, and I have no expectation it will get better next week.

And when I drive down the street there's an additional 3 towers in a 1.35 mile range. And every day I can run a speed test and get wonky results like 7 down and 16 up or 12 down and --- up test failed to complete. And I can move 800 feet down the street and suddenly get 120 down and 40 up, not impressive for 5G by any stretch but certainly beyond acceptable.

I already swapped out my phone for a different one, purchased from T-Mobile I might add. This is nothing but a terribly botched mashup of a merger, network upgrade, and poor upkeep. They have absolutely no consideration for the end user experience and just want to put out press releases saying someone ranked their network as having the "fastest speeds" or "most time on 5G" useless if your phone can't smoothly hand off from a 5G tower to an LTE tower without having to toggle airplane mode.

Name:  jHzvJsM.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  12.4 KB
    More Bars in More Places.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Legacy Sprint customers were not in “remote”areas before the merger. They were in suburbia/fringe on the edges of larger metro areas (e.g., St. Cloud, MN that includes Waite Park, Sartell, St. Joseph, and Saul Rapids) that had fair coverage

Many of those legacy Sprint customers that live in suburbia have now been experiencing worse service on TNX since TNX will not use the Sprint towers until they are migrated to T-Mo. In addition, some Sprint towers are being decommissioned permanently which adversely impact Sprint customers who have not migrated to TNX because of poor TNX coverage and no support for Airave and Casa Pebble devices.

Many of us legacy Sprint customers were and continue to support the T-Mo / Sprint merger. The migration is simply wearing on patience and optimism with no roadmap or timeline.

Finally, the issue is not 5G connectivity v.. 4G LTE connectivity. Useful connectivity on any technology is the issue for suburbia, the fringe, and finally rural. BTW, rural does not equal remote.

T-Mo may wish to re-evaluate their implementation strategy to match their marketing or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Where I am, coverage has improved, in part due to Sprint roaming. Performance in general has improved, but it's not noticeable in.many places, in part due to n71 SA clinging on, while n41 has much more bandwidth. Eg. Lax default with n71 vs disabled n71, picking up n41. Packet loss is high regardless Name:  Screenshot_20210714-201802_Speedtest.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  28.0 KBName:  Screenshot_20210714-201636_Speedtest.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  21.6 KB

Sent from my SM-A326U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Where I am, coverage has improved, in part due to Sprint roaming. Performance in general has improved, but it's not noticeable in.many places, in part due to n71 SA clinging on, while n41 has much more bandwidth. Eg. Lax default with n71 vs disabled n71, picking up n41. Packet loss is high regardless
    <SNIP>

That 5G SA speed... yikes!

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thomas Bradley West is also awfulName:  Screenshot_20210714-222156_Speedtest.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  27.4 KBName:  Screenshot_20210714-221823_SignalCheck%20Pro.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  36.3 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast