Thread: ATT in car experience

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

ATT in car experience

All I will be getting a Chevy Equinox or Traverse in the next 6 months. I currently have T-Mobile (personal cell) Verizon (Work cell) along with a T-MO hotspot 6GB costing me 25.00. I was looking at the ATT Unlimited car broadband and remove the T-MO hotspot. It looks like the cars will connect 5G as well. Wife will be the primary using her IPad connection to the car. How is the experience been for those using the built in system? Pro's/ con's?

Thanks
    Tricon23

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tricon23 View Post
    All I will be getting a Chevy Equinox or Traverse in the next 6 months. I currently have T-Mobile (personal cell) Verizon (Work cell) along with a T-MO hotspot 6GB costing me 25.00. I was looking at the ATT Unlimited car broadband and remove the T-MO hotspot. It looks like the cars will connect 5G as well. Wife will be the primary using her IPad connection to the car. How is the experience been for those using the built in system? Pro's/ con's?

Thanks
    My AT&T Mobility Connected Car in my vehicle has been excellent. Seemingly [98]% of the time, AT&T has service whereas my personal cell Sprint/T-Mo is more like 75% of the time while driving cross-county - not simply driving around “Urbania”.

I tried a T-Mo hotspot and it’s connectivity and reliability was not good. The T-Mo hotspot was 4G LTE only and not 5G capable.

IMO, the $20 unlimited AT&T Connected Car is far superior to the $25 T-Mo Hotspot based on my personal, limited experience. Plus, I prefer a redundancy with WiFi calling capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I always thought that the data connection relies on the connected phone, rather than the actual car.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thanks
    You will have a better experience with OnStar. Be advised that the speed is capped at 20 mbps, though. There is also no 5G access. AT&T has coverage mostly everywhere now, but in the fringe areas the OnStar modem does a better job of holding onto the signal than most phones.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I can live with the 20 mpbs speed as you can stream with that. My sons blazer shows 5G in his car when available but he does not subscribe to it. Strange it would show 5G but not connect.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    At&t lies about 5G coverage routinely. They show 5Ge when it is really 4.5 G in many cases. They did the same thing with 4G when it was really 3.5 G.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I always thought that the data connection relies on the connected phone, rather than the actual car.
    The vehicle has its own data modem (with its own assigned phone number - same as tablets).

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I can live with the 20 mpbs speed as you can stream with that. My sons blazer shows 5G in his car when available but he does not subscribe to it. Strange it would show 5G but not connect.
    He’s probably using Apple Car Play which uses the phone’s signal. The OnStar WiFi uses a modem built into the car. Two different things.

Device(s)
    s20 ultra, nexus 6p as a backup fi phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FI
    Feedback Score
    This is in my Subaru with at&t, I can usually get about 30 down, and 10 to 30 up

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    He’s probably using Apple Car Play which uses the phone’s signal. The OnStar WiFi uses a modem built into the car. Two different things.
    Thanks, and I understand.

Sometimes, I must use AT&T vehicle modem as WiFi hotspot when my cellphone’s carrier has no usable service even for CarPlay.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    At&t lies about 5G coverage routinely. They show 5Ge when it is really 4.5 G in many cases. They did the same thing with 4G when it was really 3.5 G.
    At least they indicate it with the E for evolution but most consumers get fooled into thinking it’s actual 5G when it’s 100% LTE-Advanced and zero to do with 5G NR. Marketing is obnoxious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have AT&T in my Equinox through Onstar. It works well and no complaints. I prepaid for a year of unlimited due to the savings. I use it mostly for the Spotify app built into the radio. My Equinox is a 2020 and the built in cell radio is 4G only. If I use Apple CarPlay with my phone plugged in, it will show 5G when available but that’s using the cell radio in my phone.