Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Adding mmWave to LAX would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    LaGuardia, JFK, Logan, and especially Atlanta are also airports that desperately need mmWave 5G. I remember them being swamped every single time I went through one of them in The Before Times. (Haven’t flown since the pandemic began because responsible adult behavior)

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    The Before Times. (Haven’t flown since the pandemic began because responsible adult behavior)
    As in 2019 B.C.?

Before COVID

Feedback Score
    Penn Station signed a contract with Boingo for the modernization project. I expect 5G+ to be there as well.
    Boingo has been an excellent partner to AT&T. Bidders on Penn Station included Extenet, Transit Wireless and Boingo and Boingo won the deal due to more revenue for the MTA. It also will be doing the new LIRR concourse at Grand Central as well with wireless.

Boingo has lots of transit related projects and other venues they have done already. I expect 5G+ will eventually be installed at all of them in the AT&T 5G+ service areas. I wonder if Transit Wireless will eventually upgrade to 5G+ in the subway stations. Boingo seems to have actually announced 5G+ projects with AT&T. The big populous venues like big airports and train stations, stadiums and more are where 5G+ should be started but it shouldn’t stop there. Smaller locations should be done as well. I thought that small cells were already being built for 5G+ but I guess the first activations will be the bigger locations for now.

There are videos of someone on the internet going through payphones at Penn Station. Apparently wireless coverage was spotty along with poor speeds for wireless. Those payphones should get removed with the modernization projects. Thankfully 5G+ will be at key airports this year.

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 Ultra, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I hope Birmingham is on that list! (Although not very confident that it is)

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited Elite & Unlimited Starter
    HBOMAX

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Birmingham unfortunately seems to be neglected by the carriers. It doesn’t even have Verizon mmWave in its downtown area despite hosting one of the nation’s top medical schools.

Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    There are videos of someone on the internet going through payphones at Penn Station. Apparently wireless coverage was spotty along with poor speeds for wireless. Those payphones should get removed with the modernization projects.
    This part I don’t like because it’s not uncommon for homeless people to have to rely on pay phones. I interpret any removal of things that contribute to the public welfare (also including benches that can be laid down on as well as water fountains that can be used to fill bottles) as further evidence of the ongoing class war against the poor, which most workers are no more than a few missed paychecks from joining.

Feedback Score
    Birmingham unfortunately seems to be neglected by the carriers. It doesn’t even have Verizon mmWave in its downtown area despite hosting one of the nation’s top medical schools.

This part I don’t like because it’s not uncommon for homeless people to have to rely on pay phones. I interpret any removal of things that contribute to the public welfare (also including benches that can be laid down on as well as water fountains that can be used to fill bottles) as further evidence of the ongoing class war against the poor, which most workers are no more than a few missed paychecks from joining.
    Most of them are broken and the technology is not supported anymore. There will be totally free wifi for anyone to use. Salvation army and others can provide free or low cost devices that can access wifi. Also there is free or low cost devices from wireless carriers as well for people meeting qualifications. I don’t know if Boingo will provide tablets for free calling like LinkNYC did which is also available nearby Penn Station. Also remember existing payphones are also not American Disabilities Act compliant as well. This isn’t a problem as those old telephones were broken and eat up a lot of valuable space. I do wonder if at least one wireless vendor comes in selling devices that can be used on he network although there are plenty of vendors nearby. Grand Central station has the Apple store, and I don’t know what else. This is not discriminating against the poor in any way. In fact they will have better technology that they will be able to use even if it is slower devices than the latest devices currently available. There is absolutely no negative in removing these devices and by providing a much better system for everyone.

There used to be a lot of active payphones that were working and the number has come down dramatically.

Thankfully Boingo will be fast wifi and and fast wireless telecom speeds and obviously backwards compatible with some older generation devices. I watched the MTA board meeting online where Boingo was approved by the finance committee for Penn Station and I guess it also will need the approval of the regular board meeting on Wednesday morning tomorrow as well. After that I expect construction to begin very soon thereafter. Boingo only announced airports for 5G+ on AT&T and considering their projects for train stations, you have to assume those will also get full 5G+ coverage from AT&T as well in the near future.

La Guardia upgraded its telecom infrastructure as the airport modernization project was built from the outside including physical cables and conduit. As the airport is still being built out, it only seems to make sense that the new rebuilt sections will have the new antennas installed for 5G+ for Terminal B and C and D, Terminal A is landmarked and they will rebuild/install the antennas inside. I agree that coverage at the airports and major transit hubs including transit hubs were lacking but that seems to be changing as the new projects get finalized.
    Last edited by LTENetwork; 07-20-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 Ultra, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

My feels exactly. You would think with a medical school like UAB, there would be at least some interest in a mmWave network for whatever advanced 5G medical technology that could be used/tried/trialed. At least AT&T should have built something being they did have many corporate offices in city before they closed/consolidate a lot of departments. Guess I can only hope we'll get some attention from the carriers sooner than later.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm surprised to hear that. I thought Birmingham was the old BellSouth HQ. For what it's worth, Columbus, OH also has no AT&T mmWave despite being home to Ohio State, the state capital, and Verizon already having a decent UWB presence there.

Overall, I'm fairly disappointed with AT&T's mmWave strategy. We'll see how this announcement changes things. But having seen how aggressive Verizon has been putting up mmWave in suburban neighborhoods every other block and blanketing downtown areas of cities, I'm confident that they'll be in a much stronger position in 2-3 years with or without C-band and I'm not certain that AT&T will be motivated to nor even have the ability to catch up.

I realize Verizon is being driven by a far more constrained spectrum position than AT&T in most areas, but where I live it's the opposite: Verizon holds both cellular blocks, several contiguous AWS blocks that enables them to run 20x20, and a 15x15 PCS block; and AT&T has nothing contiguous larger than 15x15, no low band except B12 (and B14, which best I can tell they aren't even using here), and minimal density with only macros except a few mmWave sites downtown.

Despite that, Verizon has been moving far faster than AT&T here to keep pace, expand, and further densify their network. Either way, once more consumers have mmWave-capable devices and SA is turned on, it's going to be a whole different experience on Verizon. Even when you're indoors and can't pick up mmWave, outdoor devices being offloaded to mmWave will free up a lot of spectrum off of macros for devices that need low- and mid-band.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post
    I'm surprised to hear that. I thought Birmingham was the old BellSouth HQ. For what it's worth, Columbus, OH also has no AT&T mmWave despite being home to Ohio State, the state capital, and Verizon already having a decent UWB presence there.

Overall, I'm fairly disappointed with AT&T's mmWave strategy. We'll see how this announcement changes things. But having seen how aggressive Verizon has been putting up mmWave in suburban neighborhoods every other block and blanketing downtown areas of cities, I'm confident that they'll be in a much stronger position in 2-3 years with or without C-band and I'm not certain that AT&T will be motivated to nor even have the ability to catch up.

I realize Verizon is being driven by a far more constrained spectrum position than AT&T in most areas, but where I live it's the opposite: Verizon holds both cellular blocks, several contiguous AWS blocks that enables them to run 20x20, and a 15x15 PCS block; and AT&T has nothing contiguous larger than 15x15, no low band except B12 (and B14, which best I can tell they aren't even using here), and minimal density with only macros except a few mmWave sites downtown.

Despite that, Verizon has been moving far faster than AT&T here to keep pace, expand, and further densify their network. Either way, once more consumers have mmWave-capable devices and SA is turned on, it's going to be a whole different experience on Verizon. Even when you're indoors and can't pick up mmWave, outdoor devices being offloaded to mmWave will free up a lot of spectrum off of macros for devices that need low- and mid-band.
    5G+ and mmwave are being selectively deployed. Higher bands don’t propagate as well and cost more funds to deploy. Newer equipment has higher capital expenditure costs. Large train stations, stadiums, airports and other large enclosed venues fit the deployment model. As costs go down and technology improves, it seems likely there will be even more deployment in other locations.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Higher bands…cost more funds to deploy.
    Only if you insist on coverage parity. I find it bewildering that AT&T (and Verizon) aren’t equipping literally all their existing cell sites with mmWave antennas because even though that definitely wouldn’t achieve consistent mmWave coverage, it would offload a LOT of traffic from the lower bands because a not-insignificant number of people spend tons of time in line-of-sight or almost in line-of-sight to a cell site.

How much does it actually cost to add mmWave to an existing site without upgrading the backhaul? Because unless it’s prohibitively expensive, the only other justifiable reasons I can imagine for not installing mmWave on all existing cell sites are:

a. It wouldn’t make a difference because the sites’ existing airlinks already max out their backhaul.

b. Drastically better mmWave cell site hardware is going to be released soon enough that it’s better to wait.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    5G+ and mmwave are being selectively deployed. Higher bands don’t propagate as well and cost more funds to deploy. Newer equipment has higher capital expenditure costs. Large train stations, stadiums, airports and other large enclosed venues fit the deployment model. As costs go down and technology improves, it seems likely there will be even more deployment in other locations.
    Seems Extremely selective. They could just do the medical school (UAB) and leave the rest of downtown out if $$ is the concern. I'd be fine with that . Just me being a cell geek, I don't want to have to drive to Atlanta and then search around downtown Atlanta to test out 5G+ lol

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post

Columbus is blanketed with Band 14. You should really only see it as PCC if you’re a FirstNet subscriber. I see it as an SCC in my market very frequently.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    Columbus is blanketed with Band 14. You should really only see it as PCC if you’re a FirstNet subscriber. I see it as an SCC in my market very frequently.
    Interesting. I'm in the Cleveland-Akron market though, not Columbus. When I was visiting Columbus a few weeks ago, I actually picked up B14 as a PCC for the first time ever anywhere.

In northeast Ohio, I generally get B12 as PCC, which means I'm not able to use B14 since there are no B12+B14 CA combos, at least none I'm aware of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast