Thread: Tello?

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score

Tello?

Anyone using Tello? $6/month gets 500mb + 100 minutes. About what I'm paying for TF.

Feedback Score
    Yes I use Tello (there is a general Prepaid forum where you might find other people discussing it). Tello has the informal rollover which rivals TracFone in that feature, and it has its own generous reward program from referrals, so a lot of things in common. But with scratch n win and the wheel (At least back in the day) I was able to get a pretty decent balance with TracFone, so they are now my primary carrier.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    You might want to look at these Red Pocket plans:

* T-mo SIM: $5/month 100/100/500MB each month

* Sprint SIM: $2.50/month 200/1000/200MB each month

Feedback Score
    I chose Tello over Red Pocket because it has more amenities. You can get rollover if you are willing to top up before the autopay kicks in, although you will lose the skipped days. Tello does not hard-cap data. There is better customer service.

However, I wouldn't put the family on Tello. There's no telling how long these MVNOs will last. Then there's a scramble to find something else. T-Mo seems to be particularly harsh with its MVNOs. Now that the Sprint MVNOs have to deal with T-Mo, there is going to be some pruning of the weakest. I think Sprint was easier as a partner.

The last time I was on a Sprint > T-Mo MVNO, they shut down suddenly and I lost my money. Also, we had very little time to port out before the lights went out.

The T-Mo service is fine, except for their excessive spam blocking that blocks too much legitimate stuff.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score

Tello?

I have Tello and I am very satisfied with them. Great customer service at such a low price point is very rare. I know when I had Straight Talk I was not happy with that aspect of service. Same goes for Mint.

I wouldn’t worry about Tello shutting down. They’ve been around since 2016 and they seem to know what they’re doing. Also, T-Mobile has a merger requirement to give MVNOs the same terms they had with Sprint for I think 7 years. T-Mobile gave the boot to a number of unauthorized resellers but Tello is an authorized wholesale MVNO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I've been using Tello a couple of years.
    Data, Voice & text are fine, $6/mo. (500meg, 100min, unlim.) More $ gets more.
    Data can be as low as .5 megabit (rush hour) & 1.5 to 5mb most other times. Better since moving to Tmobile. 9mb right now.
    Still good enough for traffic, maps & weather.
    If you run low on minutes or data, renew and keep previous balance. Rollover easy to do, not automatic.
    BYOP: phone must be Tmobile compatible. Need to buy Tello SIM, $9.95, or $3 on Ebay.
    Have used customer support 3 times, successful outcome. Way less flaky than Freedompop. cs rep spoke good Spanish, also English.
    Get a GV number so you aren't hostage to any carrier or phone swapping.

Feedback Score
    We've had Tello lines in the family since somewhere around 2017. If the (current) T-Mobile network works well for you, I think you'll be happy. Tello doesn't play "gotcha" games with pricing, and their customer service is very good.

We've had Tracfone lines in the family, too-- for well over 10 years.
    If you're anything above a bare-bones user,Tello will be cheaper. If you value good customer service, Tello comes out on top, too. (Although my experience with Tracfone customer service isn't all that bad.....)

Tracfone comes out on top if the T-Mobile network isn't sufficient in your area. Our older Tello lines are still on the Sprint network, and the newest is on T-Mobile. Both are just fine in the urban area we live in, and on interstates. When we get into the really rural areas of the state, neither Sprint nor T-Mobile is reliable. We've always kept a Tracfone Verizon line, on the cheapest possible rate, in case we need it somewhere out in the sticks.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Tello SIMs are now $2 at Amazon or their site, so they've gotten much more reasonable (given TF BYOP SIM is $1). And 100% their customer service is one of the best for MVNOs. Their SIMs are also hotspot enabled, as opposed to TF.

I play around with Visible, Cricket, RedPocket and others but I always come back to Tello and Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    Tello SIMs are now $2 at Amazon or their site, so they've gotten much more reasonable (given TF BYOP SIM is $1). And 100% their customer service is one of the best for MVNOs. Their SIMs are also hotspot enabled, as opposed to TF.

I play around with Visible, Cricket, RedPocket and others but I always come back to Tello and Tracfone.
    Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask (I've posted on the other PrePaid forums on HoFo, but haven't gotten definitive answers), and the Tracfone forum seems the most active, so hopefully someone here knows about RedPocket's current hotspot situation -

1. Does RedPocket allow the entire 50GB data to be used for hotspot/tethering? And is hotspot at the same speeds as on-device data? (I'm looking at their $50/mo plan as a substitute for my current home-internet setup.)

2. Does RedPocket roam on AT&T and TMo? (My location is non-urban, and there are problems with Verizon roaming for sure, so maybe there are problems with the other two carriers wrt roaming as well. So I think I'll need a carrier that does have roaming).

Thank you all for any help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    Anyone using Tello? $6/month gets 500mb + 100 minutes. About what I'm paying for TF.
    Tracfone, Tello, and some of the Redpocket plans are good for low use. My use is very spikey with almost nothing for months then a lot for a day or three. Tracfone is good for me with the units banked until I need them.

I had Tello for several years when they were paygo and they used Sprint. They were a good company to deal with. All of your data can be used on hotspot vs none with Tracfone. We used one of our phones only as a hotspot for family trips twice a month for email and such on a tablet. At the time the user did not have a smartphone with data.

Tello now uses T-Mobile. T-Mobile would not work for me with very spotty coverage around here. My Tracfone is on Verizon that works just about everywhere. Tracfone wins hands down for me because it uses Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask (I've posted on the other PrePaid forums on HoFo, but haven't gotten definitive answers), and the Tracfone forum seems the most active, so hopefully someone here knows about RedPocket's current hotspot situation -

1. Does RedPocket allow the entire 50GB data to be used for hotspot/tethering? And is hotspot at the same speeds as on-device data? (I'm looking at their $50/mo plan as a substitute for my current home-internet setup.)

2. Does RedPocket roam on AT&T and TMo? (My location is non-urban, and there are problems with Verizon roaming for sure, so maybe there are problems with the other two carriers wrt roaming as well. So I think I'll need a carrier that does have roaming).

Thank you all for any help.
    Best to use this: https://prepaidcompare.net/ to answer your questions. I doubt that anyone else is going to be certain.