Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Are The Biggest Differences Between Prepaid And Postpaid AT&T Service?

Feedback Score

What Are The Biggest Differences Between Prepaid And Postpaid AT&T Service?

I have been on AT&T postpaid in the past. A week ago, I went to the AT&T Prepaid 8GB 12-month for $300 (actually $270 using the $50 cards on sale from Target.)

Anyway, what are the biggest differences between prepaid and postpaid service?

So far, these come to find:

-Price

-Prepaid does not allow wifi calling/texting with my Android

-Anticipated data speed throttling/deprioritizing

I assume that there are others. What are they?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Customer and Tech services are usually better with postpaid.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Postpaid encourages device upgrades with 3 year installments.

Postpaid supports the cellular Apple Watch tied to your number with an Apple iPhone.

Postpaid has more options for international roaming.

I'm not sure now, but Postpaid has bundle options with other ATT services. In the past, when calling support, options to bundle with HBO or Direct TV.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I have been on AT&T postpaid in the past. A week ago, I went to the AT&T Prepaid 8GB 12-month for $300 (actually $270 using the $50 cards on sale from Target.)

Anyway, what are the biggest differences between prepaid and postpaid service?

So far, these come to find:

-Price

-Anticipated data speed throttling/deprioritizing

I assume that there are others. What are they?
    Price is a big factor. I haven't fully researched it, mostly because I can't easily find AT&T postpaid plan pricing, but I doubt an AT&T postpaid 8GB/mo plan would be available for as low as $21.38/mo ($300 plan for $256.50 with refill cards purchased during a Target $5 off $50 sale, and paying with a Target Red Card).

My wife's Pixel 3a has WiFi calling available on the AT&T Prepaid $300 plan. So, WiFi calling does work, but you have to make sure you have a supported phone. Here's a list: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

Based on comments posted on various forums, AT&T Prepaid / MVNO data usually doesn't suffer from deprioritization like Vzw Prepaid / MVNO data does.

Any "perks" included with AT&T Postpaid plans can usually be paid for on your own with the SAVINGS you get by using the right AT&T Prepaid plan, and WITHOUT the limited selection of available "perks"; you get to choose your own "perks", or none, if you just want to save money.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    ...So, WiFi calling does work, but you have to make sure you have a supported phone. Here's a list: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf...
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S9. According to the list, it is a supported phone. There is a footnote, though, that states:

"Indicates devices that require a software update to enable HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, Video Call, Advanced Messaging or 5G."

What isn't clear to me is where or how to get that software update. Would it come from Samsung, AT&T or somewhere else? How do I request it?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

What isn't clear to me is where or how to get that software update. Would it come from Samsung, AT&T or somewhere else? How do I request it?
    Generally the required update is pre-installed by the manufacturer during manufacture of the phone or the carrier pushes the information OTA (over the air) to the phone. In some cases, the carrier automatically sends those updates or has to update it through their billing system manually. I am offering the abridged explanation as a prior CS rep for At&t.

Feedback Score
    Maybe placing a postpaid SIM in phone would make the update available. Others have reported similar scenarios. Oh & sometimes updates are only available through wifi only.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    data speed throttling/deprioritizing
    That's false.

Feedback Score
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S9. According to the list, it is a supported phone. There is a footnote, though, that states:

"Indicates devices that require a software update to enable HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, Video Call, Advanced Messaging or 5G."

In the past, an installed AT&T MVNO or AT&T Prepaid SIM would allow an AT&T branded phone to receive updates.

What's the origin of your S9 (i.e., was it originally unlocked or purchased from another network owner)? If it's other than AT&T, hopefully someone else will be able to reply if there's a way to update or change it to AT&T firmware.

Feedback Score
    I have been on AT&T postpaid in the past. A week ago, I went to the AT&T

This probably has nothing to do with it being prepaid. I am on the same plan and have it working on Pixel 3a. Most likely this wouldn't work for your phone on postpaid either.

Feedback Score

It sounds like the way for me to get this is to flash my Samsung Galaxy S9 to AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score

It sounds like the way for me to get this is to flash my Samsung Galaxy S9 to AT&T.
    Have you actually turned off WiFi and made a call to confirm if it drops from LTE to 3G or not? The Samsung firmware issue isn’t usually applicable to the main carriers and AT&T Prepaid and postpaid both use the same software. Your S9 should have re-branded itself.

If you make a call and it stays on LTE, you have VoLTE and don’t need a firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    AT&T will marketing text the snot out of you. Was a prepaid customer for three years, finally had enough of it.

STOP only appears to stop that marketing campaign.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zentec View Post
    AT&T will marketing text the snot out of you. Was a prepaid customer for three years, finally had enough of it.

That hasn't been the case for my wife with a Pixel 3a XL on the AT&T Prepaid $300 plan.

EDIT:
    3a (Not XL)
    Last edited by Boz1; 07-29-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zentec View Post

I’m on prepaid and I don’t get any texts from AT&at other than due dates or recharge related texts.

WiFi calling works on my unlocked phones as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast