Thread: Dish and AT&T partnership

Device(s)
    LG G8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Dish and AT&T partnership

DISH and AT&T Sign Strategic Network Services Agreement

LITTLETON, Colo. and DALLAS, July 19, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH (NASDAQISH), announced today the signing of a transformative, long-term strategic Network Services Agreement (NSA) with AT&T, making AT&T the primary network services partner for DISH MVNO customers. Through this agreement, DISH will provide current and future customers of its retail wireless brands, including Boost Mobile, Ting Mobile and Republic Wireless, access to best-in-class coverage and connectivity on AT&T's wireless network, in addition to the new DISH 5G network. The agreement accelerates DISH's expansion of retail wireless distribution to rural markets where DISH provides satellite TV services. AT&T is also providing transport and roaming services as part of the agreement, to support DISH's 5G network.

DISH is committed to providing competition in the wireless market as the nation's fourth facilities-based carrier. The company will continue to build out the nation's first cloud-native, OpenRAN-based 5G network reaching over 70% of the population by 2023.

"Teaming with AT&T on this long-term partnership will allow us to better compete in the retail wireless market and quickly respond to changes in our customers' evolving connectivity needs as we build our own first-of-its kind 5G network," said John Swieringa, DISH COO and Group President of Retail Wireless. "The agreement provides enhanced coverage and service for our Boost, Ting and Republic customers, giving them access to the best connectivity on the market today via voice, messaging, data and nationwide roaming on AT&T's vast network, as well as DISH's 5G network."

AT&T has been recognized as the Nation's Best Wireless Network two years in a row, according to America's biggest test*. Fast, reliable and secure, AT&T 5G is available to 250 million people across the country over sub-6 spectrum and millimeter wave spectrum (AT&T 5G+), which is currently available in parts of 38 cities and at more than 20 venues, including high-traffic places like stadiums, arenas, airports and campuses. AT&T plans to cover 200 million people across the country with C-band (mid-band) 5G by the end of 2023.

For many years, AT&T has been a leader in connectivity. Between 2016 and the end of the first quarter 2021, AT&T has invested more than $140 billion into its wireless and wireline networks, including capital investments and acquisitions of wireless spectrum and operations, to support market demand for communications. The agreement allows AT&T the opportunity to use a portion of DISH's spectrum in various markets to help support DISH customers on AT&T's network.

"Teaming with DISH on this agreement is not only a testament to the strength of our network, but it further validates the investments we've made in our fiber and wireless infrastructure," said Thaddeus Arroyo, CEO, AT&T Consumer. "We welcome DISH wireless and its customers to the nation's largest and best wireless network for all of their streaming, data and roaming needs."

So DISH is switching their customer base over to the AT&T network. Seems like a good move for those customers, except for I'm not sure how this will work with AT&T's VoLTE whitelist. Maybe AT&T will loosen it up, or they would require some of these new customers to upgrade to a capable device.

The sentence "The agreement allows AT&T the opportunity to use a portion of DISH's spectrum in various markets to help support DISH customers on AT&T's network." makes it sound like AT&T will get to lease some DISH spectrum in markets where DISH isn't building out right now.

What are your thoughts?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    I think this is ridiculous and it's nuts! What do AT&T customers benefit from....use of Dish's spectrum?? Definitely a bad move imo.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I think this is ridiculous and it's nuts! What do AT&T customers benefit from....use of Dish's spectrum?? Definitely a bad move imo.
    It's just a wholesale mvno agreement basically. It doesn't harm at&t customers either. It will likely replace the customers at&t will lose with the sale of TracFone to Verizon. Who cares really?

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    https://about.dish.com/2021-07-19-DI...ices-Agreement

I’m guessing this is the article?

I wonder how much of Dish’s spectrum AT&T will be able to use. For example, I’m unfortunately unaware of any devices that support LTE band 70 or 5G band n70, which would be necessary for customers to access Dish’s AWS-4 holdings, and the PCS H-Block doesn’t appear to be specified at all in any 3GPP release. That leaves Dish’s Band 29/n29 and 66/n66 holdings as, to my knowledge, the only airwaves AT&T could immediately use.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    It's just a wholesale mvno agreement basically. It doesn't harm at&t customers either. It will likely replace the customers at&t will lose with the sale of TracFone to Verizon. Who cares really?
    Dish has hoarded enough spectrum over the years. They need to build out their own network like they agreed to or lose it. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Using some of Dish's spectrum might not be so bad......

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    https://about.dish.com/2021-07-19-DI...ices-Agreement

I’m guessing this is the article?

I wonder how much of Dish’s spectrum AT&T will be able to use. For example, I’m unfortunately unaware of any devices that support LTE band 70 or 5G band n70, which would be necessary for customers to access Dish’s AWS-4 holdings, and the PCS H-Block doesn’t appear to be specified at all in any 3GPP release. That leaves Dish’s Band 29/n29 and 66/n66 holdings as, to my knowledge, the only airwaves AT&T could immediately use.
    Some of that AWS-4 spectrum technically can be deployed on B66 devices as supplementary downlink only like it was in some areas during the pandemic. They also hold AWS-3 G block in areas which would allow AT&T to widen their H+I block to 15 MHz.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Dish has hoarded enough spectrum over the years. They need to build out their own network like they agreed to or lose it. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Using some of Dish's spectrum might not be so bad......
    Even if they don't it doesn't overly matter, as I said, it's just a wholesale mvno agreement. Doesn't harm or benefit at&t customers any more or less than a mvno agreement with someone like red pocket or H20 does. It does however harm boost customers as a lot of the current handsets probably aren't whitelisted on at&t's network for volte. If they get any type of spectrum sharing from dish it's a bonus, if not, they gained around 9 million wholesale customers who dish has to pay them network access for. With the loss of tracfone brands being able to have at&t activations coming soon with the Verizon purchase it kind of evens out.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    anyway if our government weren’t cucked af they’d have already seized Dish’s unused spectrum and resold it to telecoms that would actually use it. this is absurd and it has been absurd for years now

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    anyway if our government weren’t cucked af they’d have already seized Dish’s unused spectrum and resold it to telecoms that would actually use it. this is absurd and it has been absurd for years now
    While I agree, that's kind of a separate issue all together. This just appears to be a mvno deal with some spectrum sharing between dish and at&t. Appears that at&t will be the main provider for boost going forward, and will allow roaming for boost customers. Dish also will have first dibs at tmobile/sprints band 26. Maybe at&t has some interest in that going forward? Who knows.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Well, perhaps the two carriers will mutually benefit. Maybe AT&T will have access to Dish's CBRS PAL licenses to deploy as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think it’s a win-win. Dish gets a more cooperative partner and access to a better network, while AT&T gets the extra revenue and access to the additional spectrum. Sucks for T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    I think it’s a win-win. Dish gets a more cooperative partner and access to a better network, while AT&T gets the extra revenue and access to the additional spectrum. Sucks for T-Mobile.
    Yeah I see it as benefiting both dish and att customers.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Some of that AWS-4 spectrum technically can be deployed on B66 devices as supplementary downlink only like it was in some areas during the pandemic. They also hold AWS-3 G block in areas which would allow AT&T to widen their H+I block to 15 MHz.
    That supplemental down link was great here last year

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Dish and AT&T partnership

If AT&T is getting access to dishes spectrum then I don’t see this as a bad thing at all. More capacity never hurts. Although I am curious as to why dish didn’t strike up a deal with T-Mobile on this?
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T probably offered the best deal, since they’re now the most spectrum-constrained of the triopoly and therefore have the most urgent need for additional spectrum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast