Thread: iPhone 12 question

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score

iPhone 12 question

I am wanting to upgrade my iPhone 11 Pro to either an iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro. Does the iPhone 12 support CBRS C and C Band since I was not sure if those two bands are supported by the iPhone 12?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

iPhone 12 question

It supports CBRS for LTE (B48) and C-Band for 5G (n77, n78, n79).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Also, I’m 99% certain that the iPhones 12 support CBRS 5G given that LTE B48 (3,550 — 3,700 MHz) is superseded by 5G n77 (3,300 — 4,200 MHz) and n78 (3,300 MHz — 3,800 MHz).

The iPhone 12 series has the following RF hardware deficits:

• Inability to aggregate multiple types of 5G. It can only do mmWave + mmWave, TDD sub-7 + TDD sub-7, or FDD sub-7 + FDD sub-7. This will be remedied by the next iPhone series because the Qualcomm X60, the successor to the X55 modem in the iPhones 12, does support aggregating multiple types of 5G. While enhanced carrier aggregation is best-known for providing higher speeds, it more importantly provides a more consistent experience because it allows a cellular device to smoothly transition between coverage zones instead of having to abruptly pick up and drop the various frequencies.
    • No support for 6 GHz or 60 GHz, either for Wi-Fi or for NR-U. This is important because both frequencies are almost completely unused and therefore can add over 1,000 MHz and 14,000 MHz of bandwidth, respectively. In fact, the 60 GHz band has so much available spectrum that it already theoretically surpasses the speed of Thunderbolt data cabling by more than 4x despite not being fully-evolved. (802.11ay supports theoretical peak speeds of 172 Gbps versus Thunderbolt’s 40 Gbps.) That’s so much capacity that you could fill Times Square with people standing shoulder-to-shoulder, all live-streaming full-resolution virtual reality, and still have capacity to spare. It’s mind-boggling to me that 60 GHz is still such an obscure technology.
    • Limited to aggregating up to 800 MHz of mmWave and 200 MHz of sub-7 GHz spectrum. Verizon has nearly 2,000 MHz of mmWave spectrum and, once C-Band is fully released, will have nearly 300 MHz of sub-7 GHz spectrum — and that’s not including the unlicensed spectrum in the CBRS, 5 GHz, and 6 GHz bands that they’ll be able to also aggregate. We unfortunately won’t see this ameliorated until late 2022, when iPhones equipped with the Qualcomm X65 modem are released and have the ability to use up to 1,000 MHz of mmWave and 300 MHz of sub-7 GHz. Of course even that still isn’t enough to max out the potential spectrum available, so we’ll need to see limits of multiple GHz of mmWave spectrum and approximately 500 MHz of sub-7 GHz spectrum to really discover the limits of the carriers’ spectrum holdings combined with unlicensed spectrum.
    • No support for the 47 GHz band, n262. This doesn’t matter unless you want the option of going to T-Mobile, and T-Mobile has built out their 47 GHz mmWave in your area, but I think it’s worth mentioning because T-Mobile will absolutely begin rolling out 5G Band n262 in the next few years. They talk a big game about their Band 41/n41 being more than enough capacity, but it really isn’t. It only buys them a bit more time to delay a widespread mmWave rollout.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    If you want C band support, I'd wait for the 13. Currently, the only anchor band listed for the 12 is B41 (41+n77) which isn't gonna do Verizon much good, or n77 SA 5G. Yes on CBRS, but no support for CBRS 5G (n48).

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Always a reason to hold out another year. Better support for new technologies. Apple did a better job with their initial 5G phones than their initial 4G/LTE phone, but everyone can miss something. Hopefully it isn't a limiting factor for most people for a few years.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the responses. It looks like I will be waiting for the iPhone 13 which I believe is suppose to be released this fall.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    It’s never a good idea to buy the last year’s model when we are so close to the next being released but yeah the 12S/13 should be much more capable thanks to the updated X60 modem. As much as I love my 12 Pro Max, the X55 really drags it down. It runs extremely hot when it’s using 5G to the point I can’t hold it after a large download or a string of speed tests and it’s funny because this thing doesn’t even get near that hot with heavy gaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    If you want C band support, I'd wait for the 13. Currently, the only anchor band listed for the 12 is B41 (41+n77) which isn't gonna do Verizon much good, or n77 SA 5G. Yes on CBRS, but no support for CBRS 5G (n48).
    From https://www.verizon.com/about/news/v...uction-results

Every iPhone 12 model is C-Band compatible.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    It is supported as standalone or B41+n77. I'm not looking at Verizon press releases when I mentioned this, but rather test documents within the FCC where the devices are tested and certified. To date, there is no recertification or permissive change that shows the 12 will expand the anchors/combos to match the S21, for example, that proves otherwise. If I see any new info I will certainly post it.

Here are the current anchors as per FCC docs for the 12 Pro Max:

Name:  Screenshot_20210721-105733_Drive.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  69.3 KB

This is in line with what cacombos.com has dug up as well:

Name:  Screenshot_20210721-111131_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  38.5 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210721-111147_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.6 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210721-111205_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  33.8 KB
    Last edited by 10mm; 07-21-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I thought you had "12 questions" about the iPhone.....
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So the only seeming impediment to the iPhone 12 series connecting to C-Band on Verizon is Verizon implementing 5G standalone, which they’ve been prepping for awhile now and therefore are probably not far from being able to debut.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    So the only seeming impediment to the iPhone 12 series connecting to C-Band on Verizon is Verizon implementing 5G standalone, which they’ve been prepping for awhile now and therefore are probably not far from being able to debut.
    Correct...as the device stands right now. Verizon could file to add more combos, but I haven't seen anything yet. It would be great to have NSA and SA n77 right from the start

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    NSA on DSS bands is stupid anyway. DSS is only really worth it to let 5G SA maintain access to the lower frequencies for coverage purposes, and NSA is only worth it on greenfield 5G spectrum that can be aggregated with LTE.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    DSS is worthless plain and simple only used so people with 5g phones can see (yup) I have 5g.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No, it’s not. DSS will let 5G Standalone maintain similar coverage to LTE. Without DSS, Verizon and AT&T would have to go through the whole refarming process yet freaking again instead of smoothly transitioning from LTE to 5G over time.