Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rootmetrics Results for 1H2021 Are In. Verizon is 1st, AT&T is 2nd, T-Mobile is a very distant 3rd.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Rootmetrics Results for 1H2021 Are In. Verizon is 1st, AT&T is 2nd, T-Mobile is a very distant 3rd.

Rootmetrics Results for 1H2021 Are In. Verizon is 1st, AT&T is 2nd, T-Mobile is a very distant 3rd.

There's an 11 page report at https://rootmetrics.com/en-US/conten...-union-1h-2021 .

No real surprises there, Verizon continues to have the best coverage in the U.S., AT&T is second, and T-Mobile is a very distant 3rd.

Trying to be kind, Rootmetrics stated "T-Mobile delivers fast(er) speeds in many markets." Seriously, does any phone user really care about 300Mb/s on low-band 5G versus 100Mb/s on LTE? It is meaningless, even if you're tethering. What matters is actually having coverage so you can use data at all!

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Loyalty
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post

There's an 11 page report at https://rootmetrics.com/en-US/conten...-union-1h-2021 .

No real surprises there, Verizon continues to have the best coverage in the U.S., AT&T is second, and T-Mobile is a very distant 3rd.

Trying to be kind, Rootmetrics stated "T-Mobile delivers fast(er) speeds in many markets." Seriously, does any phone user really care about 300Mb/s on low-band 5G versus 100Mb/s on LTE? It is meaningless, even if you're tethering. What matters is actually having coverage so you can use data at all!
    I would say all the carriers performed well and there's far better competition than there was before based on reading the report. AT&T actually defeated Verizon in the data category. T-Mobile performed better on RootMetrics than they ever have. Overall that's good sign of the health of the overall industry.

As someone who is in a capacity crunched area on Verizon and has resorted to get a T-Mo Test Drive eSIM temporarily so I can have a capacity backup, I can most assuredly say that capacity matters, not so much that I can do a nice speed test, but that I can load pages on Safari without delay, or watch any sort of video without buffering or stuttering, or be able to see Snaps or Instagrams without staring at the phone for 10+ seconds. I'd love for VZ to put up a small cell or two here so I don't have to do that. Granted, this may not be happening on a national level, and VZ still does well for calls and text here, but it's still frustrating to see slowdowns.

Anyway competition is good. I know, I live in a place with 80% Verizon market share and that's proof of that.
    Last edited by fraydog; 07-25-2021 at 04:45 PM.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    What matters is actually having coverage so you can use data at all!
    This part is definitely incorrect because network reliability in cities and suburbs has become mostly about capacity. All carriers have service pretty much everywhere in all cities and suburbs, but whether the cell site providing that service is too congested to handle your traffic is another matter entirely. T-Mobile has the most spare capacity of the triopoly; it doesn’t matter much RIGHT NOW because Verizon and AT&T are keeping sufficient pace with demand to prevent their networks from slowing to a crawl, but it will if/when they begin to fall behind. The C-Band rollout period is crunch time because it’s when we’ll see the greatest capacity differential, whereas by the mid-2020s it’ll be a much more even match.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon Wireless speeds are getting worse in Cincinnati, I have days where you can only pull in 1 MBPS down and 0.5 up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    This part is definitely incorrect because network reliability in cities and suburbs has become mostly about capacity.....
    @CanadianAngela said "coverage" not capacity. I agree in the a city or suburb the issue is about capacity. Elsewhere it's about coverage. Verizon for one has done little or is very very slow in-filling with towers in many areas. With 3G you could have those towers 15 miles apart. That doesn't cut it with LTE or 5G.
    Are any of these new technologies going to make up the coverage distance without closer towers outside the cities and suburbs ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    GSMinCT has had coverage issues with T-Mobile since 2003.

I’m trying not to laugh as I write this.

Only old timers on this message board will know what I’m talking about.

;-)

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Loyalty
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    GSMinCT has had coverage issues with T-Mobile since 2003.

I’m trying not to laugh as I write this.

Only old timers on this message board will know what I’m talking about.

;-)

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Those of us who are old timers know that T-Mobile was almost dead and then had one of the biggest comebacks in the history of the business anywhere.

Find another company that went from 32 million to 100 million around the globe. I’m not a T-Mobile customer because their rural still needs work, but if John Legere hadn’t come along, we’d still be forked on two year contracts and the US would be way behind on 5G even compared to where they are.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Loyalty
    Feedback Score
    Verizon really goofed when they hired Vestberg. This is the same dude who nearly killed off Ericsson when he got embroiled in corruption allegations and lead Ericsson down the toilet on KPI’s to where they were getting spanked bad on vendor contracts by Nokia, Samsung, and the Chinese. This company needs to get the top network people who left back. Only thing that kept Verizon from really losing bad is Legere leaving and Sievert taking the foot off the gas with macro densification. That said, T-Mobile will be way closer by sticking to macros and not trying to copy Verizon. I would be concerned about T-Mobile cutting cap ex per se but pre merger their cap ex was $4 billion a year and they were passing Sprint who was typically spending twice as much.

AT&T is going to eat Verizon’s lunch and that’s probably going to continue for the near future until a change at the top.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Loyalty
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    @CanadianAngela said "coverage" not capacity. I agree in the a city or suburb the issue is about capacity. Elsewhere it's about coverage. Verizon for one has done little or is very very slow in-filling with towers in many areas. With 3G you could have those towers 15 miles apart. That doesn't cut it with LTE or 5G.
    Are any of these new technologies going to make up the coverage distance without closer towers outside the cities and suburbs ?
    Here in Chester I will admit I have wanted a small cell downtown for relief. In retrospect we probably need a macro there of the rooftop variety for the capacity issues. I simply think back to the CDMA era where Verizon just acted like they were going to chop off competition with as many macros as possible. I have to occasionally rethink things and more and more I think VZ has to go back to basics.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have yet to see anything that supports the conclusion that Verizon needs more macros (except of course to expand coverage where there currently isn’t any), whereas I’ve seen countless articles and studies on how much capacity and indoor coverage is achieved by small cells and DAS.

Besides, Verizon’s switch to focusing on small cells makes even more sense now that we know they’re pivoting to mmWave, which needs more density than a macro grid alone can provide.

Then of course there’s the simple fact that building new macros is a nightmare nowadays because of how much worse the NIMBYs have gotten and how much more expensive real estate has become. At this point, aside from Verizon’s refusal to just add mmWave antennas to all existing cell sites, the only part of their strategy that confuses me is their lack of mmWave femtocells and repeaters available to customers. Unlike with other cellular femtocells and repeaters, a mmWave unit would provide better performance than even the fastest Wi-Fi AND by letting customers densify 5G UW mmWave for them, Verizon would end up with a much quicker rollout. (Smartphones and cellular tablets currently can’t break the gigabit barrier on Wi-Fi, but they can achieve up to 4 Gbps and climbing on 5G mmWave.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Loyalty
    Feedback Score
    I have yet to see anything that supports the conclusion that Verizon needs more macros (except of course to expand coverage where there currently isn’t any), whereas I’ve seen countless articles and studies on how much capacity and indoor coverage is achieved by small cells and DAS.

Besides, Verizon’s switch to focusing on small cells makes even more sense now that we know they’re pivoting to mmWave, which needs more density than a macro grid alone can provide.

Then of course there’s the simple fact that building new macros is a nightmare nowadays because of how much worse the NIMBYs have gotten and how much more expensive real estate has become. At this point, aside from Verizon’s refusal to just add mmWave antennas to all existing cell sites, the only part of their strategy that confuses me is their lack of mmWave femtocells and repeaters available to customers. Unlike with other cellular femtocells and repeaters, a mmWave unit would provide better performance than even the fastest Wi-Fi AND by letting customers densify 5G UW mmWave for them, Verizon would end up with a much quicker rollout. (Smartphones and cellular tablets currently can’t break the gigabit barrier on Wi-Fi, but they can achieve up to 4 Gbps and climbing on 5G mmWave.)
    I could cite plenty of analysts who feel the opposite. I see the problem with rural small cells and part of me looking at their limited range when more is needed and thinking VZ is seriously overthinking this. Rooftop compact macros in downtowns would be far better in lot of applications where small cells are currently used especially in rural but just as much in suburban and urban. T-Mobile built arguably the densest cell grid in the US in NY almost completely on compact macros. If I’m an RF engineer in Verizon I’m begging for AIR panels and ERS small racks for compact macros and the Samsung compact macros if I’m in a Samsung footprint. BTW mmWave can be deployed in rooftops, it is all the time by the major carriers in large cities.

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/the-.../a/d-id/770838

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    Those of us who are old timers know that T-Mobile was almost dead and then had one of the biggest comebacks in the history of the business anywhere.

Find another company that went from 32 million to 100 million around the globe. I’m not a T-Mobile customer because their rural still needs work, but if John Legere hadn’t come along, we’d still be forked on two year contracts and the US would be way behind on 5G even compared to where they are.
    They were helped by the failed at&t merger which end up making at&t giving them spectrum tower access for 7 years and $7 bil in cash. Some if which they turned around and used to by Verizon's 700 block A spectrum, that Verizon was forced to sell when they bought all that AWS-1 from the cable companies

As far as to year contracts, they have been basically brought back. 2year contract gave you a discount on a phone on the condition you stay 2 year or you pay a financial penalty if you leave early. If you get a deal on phone today you have to stay 2 years or pay a financial penalty if you leave early.

Also the concept of throttled video was a T-Mobile idea too. no one brings that up.

As far as 5G T-Mobile's lead is mainly in lowband and that shouldn't really count. In fact as the majority of customers are still on non 5G phones they suffer from WORSE performance than they other would. And 5G true benefits ( lower latency more efficiency) as only even when in SA( stand alone ) mode. but as angry customers can at least when T-Mobile uses SA on lowband speeds drop as the LTE support from bands 2 and or 4 is now gone

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 year contracts are only de facto back if you finance your phone through your carrier. The Apple iPhone Upgrade Program has been wonderful for several reasons including my keeping the ability to switch carriers if I want.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    2 year contracts are only de facto back if you finance your phone through your carrier. The Apple iPhone Upgrade Program has been wonderful for several reasons including my keeping the ability to switch carriers if I want.
    This is why I have an Apple Card. Apple Card financing doesn’t require me to have postpaid service so I can go literally anywhere at any time plus I get 3% cash back and still have the option to pay 24 months of interest-free installments without taking a hard pull. I have to pay off my phone if I want to upgrade early but meh, I don’t finance things I can’t quickly pay off, and I have been keeping my phones longer anyway since iterative updates aren’t really worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 year contracts are only de facto back if you finance your phone through your carrier.
    Finance it and get a deal. If not then it's not the same as 2 year contract.

The Apple iPhone Upgrade Program has been wonderful for several reasons including my keeping the ability to switch carriers if I want.
    That's fine if one likes Apple products( never not even for free ) and also want to upgrade every year which has never made sense to me.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast