Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rootmetrics Results for 1H2021 Are In. Verizon is 1st, AT&T is 2nd, T-Mobile is a very distant 3rd.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Know full well what it means. I get the feeling you are someone who never got past 2011, may of been a good year for you somehow, and you somehow think "android vs. iOS wars" are still a thing. I hate to be the one to break this to you......they died years ago. Though, do me a favor, educate yourself some on why iOS devices are more secure than android devices. Stop thinking there is some mystic battle still taking place out there over the 2. iOS does security better, android does customization better. Nothing wrong with using both, and knowing the weaknesses of both. This only helps you. Doesn't help me, heck maybe then you could teach your "government friend" a thing or two. Move past 2011, the world has moved on, so should you. Here I'll even start you in the right direction. https://nordvpn.com/blog/ios-vs-android-security/

While not a definitive explanation, it gives you the essentials to look more into yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I'm in 2021 not 2011 I'm not saying there is a battle anymore all I'm saying is you are wrong about IOS still being secure. That is all.......I'll be carrying on with my day I think we both got this thread off topic a bit

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    So AT&T and Verizon were super close in the RootMetrics report with Verizon barely winning the overall report and AT&T winning the 5G report. Iím just going to say that I love being right, and the 5G report validated what Iíve been saying. Verizonís network has gotten worse in areas that theyíve upgraded to 5G, while AT&Tís network has improved in those areas. Once they densify and finish the FirstNet build, I have no doubt that AT&T is going to be the undisputed best.

I will also say that I love these real, scientific reports that prove what we all know: T-Mobile sucks. I was once a T-Mobile fan because of their uncarrier movies, but T-Mobile has become the most dishonest company when it comes to their network. I canít wait for perception to catch up to reality so Mike Sievert can shut up.
    You may be right. Att seems to be on a roll lately with the upgrades for firstnet

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    The flaw in your logic is that the areas verizon "upgraded to 5G" are not using the full spectrum (and instead are using DSS to split the spectrum between 5G and LTE users). Once they roll out their C-Band, this issue with DSS (and only using limited bands) will be no more for verizon. Not saying Att won't surpass them, but judging them based upon their "5G to make it seem like a big deal for the iphone" isn't a true indication of what their 5G will be once they begin rolling out C-band in December.
    Thatís not accurate. AT&T uses DSS and hasnít experienced the same declines in performance. Youíre also wrong in assuming that C-Band will solve all of Verizonís congestion and performance issues. It will be similar to millimeter wave, just over a slightly larger area. Great performance if youíre close enough to the tower, but it will fall back to low band if youíre indoors or more than a mile away from the cell site. You also have to remember that only 46 areas are getting C-Band in December. Most of the country is going to have to wait until 2023.

I donít have confidence in Verizonís new management. Verizon has been spectrum strapped for some time, but they used to manage it a whole lot better. I never had any performance issues prior to 2019. Verizon used to have a working website, all American customer service and an overall premium experience. They were the best and everybody knew it. I happily paid more for a service that ďjust workedĒ. Thatís not the case any more. Verizon has been getting worse and worse, and I donít have the same level of confidence. Iím not getting a premium experience anymore. At this point theyíre just riding on their brand.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Because Verizon is using 64T64R massive MIMO for all C-Band cell sites, C-Band is going to have better coverage than AWS and PCS, so anywhere you currently get Band 2, 4, or 66, you’ll probably eventually get n77.

700 MHz and 850 MHz will still be the longest-range bands, but C-Band is no slouch on range.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OK folks, keep this thread on track or it will be closed.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I will also say that I love these real, scientific reports that prove what we all know: T-Mobile sucks. I was once a T-Mobile fan because of their uncarrier movies, but T-Mobile has become the most dishonest company when it comes to their network. I canít wait for perception to catch up to reality so Mike Sievert can shut up.
    Here in the NY metro region and going up/down the coast for business and other travel, the move to T-Mobile about four years ago had been very positive. We ditched the limited data family plan from Verizon, saving over $100/month and gaining "unlimited" (sort of, but practically accurate) voice, data, txt, etc. Their support has been great the few times I needed it - except one misguided Rep.who was quickly replaced, with an apology, by their Manager while we were on the call - and my friends who stayed with Verizon still can't beat my plan. Coverage and speed have been terrific, so.there's no need to switch in the near future.

That's both my perception and my family's reality, btw.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Loyalty
    Feedback Score
    Thatís not accurate. AT&T uses DSS and hasnít experienced the same declines in performance. Youíre also wrong in assuming that C-Band will solve all of Verizonís congestion and performance issues. It will be similar to millimeter wave, just over a slightly larger area. Great performance if youíre close enough to the tower, but it will fall back to low band if youíre indoors or more than a mile away from the cell site. You also have to remember that only 46 areas are getting C-Band in December. Most of the country is going to have to wait until 2023.

I donít have confidence in Verizonís new management. Verizon has been spectrum strapped for some time, but they used to manage it a whole lot better. I never had any performance issues prior to 2019. Verizon used to have a working website, all American customer service and an overall premium experience. They were the best and everybody knew it. I happily paid more for a service that ďjust workedĒ. Thatís not the case any more. Verizon has been getting worse and worse, and I donít have the same level of confidence. Iím not getting a premium experience anymore. At this point theyíre just riding on their brand.
    Iíll just come out and say it, Verizon picked the wrong guy when they picked Vestberg over Stratton. Need proof? See the statements out of Verizon that C-Band will outcover AWS and PCS. Thereís no magic beans making that happen, Massive MIMO helps but thatís also being implemented right now on other carriers and it isnít making 2.5 GHz out carry PCS. C-Band is no different, if anything it is more likely to be affected by foliage and buildings than 2.5.

Also AT&T owns the most fiber going to their own sites. Spectrum is important. It isnít everything, however. AT&T being the largest fiber provider in the world and the biggest fiber carrier for business is important. Very much so.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sprint was notably incompetent. T-Mobile has been achieving much greater speeds and range on 2.5 GHz than Sprint ever did, probably because Sprint cut corners at every possible opportunity.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post

Also AT&T owns the most fiber going to their own sites. Spectrum is important. It isnít everything, however. AT&T being the largest fiber provider in the world and the biggest fiber carrier for business is important. Very much so.
    IMO this is what will likely separate Verizon and AT&T from T-Mobile in the long run. If I remember right AT&T has around 1.2 million miles of fiber and Verizon has around a million (I know Verizon isnít done laying fiber but I donít know about AT&T). Iím not sure how much fiber sprint had but I thought they had a pretty decent fiber network as well that t-mobile got in the deal as well. But I still believe a vast majority of t-mobile fiber backhaul comes from other sources (including AT&T and Verizon).

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    IMO this is what will likely separate Verizon and AT&T from T-Mobile in the long run. If I remember right AT&T has around 1.2 million miles of fiber and Verizon has around a million (I know Verizon isnít done laying fiber but I donít know about AT&T). Iím not sure how much fiber sprint had but I thought they had a pretty decent fiber network as well that t-mobile got in the deal as well. But I still believe a vast majority of t-mobile fiber backhaul comes from other sources (including AT&T and Verizon).
    Yes, during the period that Verizon did not have new spectrum to deploy they spent a lot of their capex rolling fiber to be ready for deploying new 5G spectrum that will require a lot of backhaul.

Sprint had an excellent enterprise fiber network. We used them and it worked very well. They had a presence in all of the capitol cities in the lower 48. I don't know what they had for smaller towns or runs to cell sites.

When T-Mo turned on band 71 in the neighboring rural county they went from very spotty coverage to pretty well covered, but it is slow, like 3 Mbps. I suspect they don't have good backhaul. The county doesn't have much broadband for anything.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yes, during the period that Verizon did not have new spectrum to deploy they spent a lot of their capex rolling fiber to be ready for deploying new 5G spectrum that will require a lot of backhaul.

Sprint had an excellent enterprise fiber network. We used them and it worked very well. They had a presence in all of the capitol cities in the lower 48. I don't know what they had for smaller towns or runs to cell sites.

When T-Mo turned on band 71 in the neighboring rural county they went from very spotty coverage to pretty well covered, but it is slow, like 3 Mbps. I suspect they don't have good backhaul. The county doesn't have much broadband for anything.
    Itís actually kinda funny. Iím moving to an area that has weak Verizon coverage but has a T-Mobile tower about 1/2 mile away from me. Less than 1/4 of a mile from my house is the end of the Verizon fiber/FIOS deployment. Iím 99% sure that the t-mobile tower is fed by Verizon fiber backhaul (Verizon definitely has fiber running right in front of the tower) and yet Verizon isnít on the tower. Iím hoping with Verizon getting the c-band spectrum that they are gonna now co-locate on this tower (since their fiber is already there) to deploy 5G home internet.

Unfortunately what you describe is a big problem for rural areas. Absolutely a carrier can throw up 150 MHz of spectrum on a tower and go blasting out a crazy good signal, but when that tower has a low backhaul of like 10 Mbps or less it does no good.

Verizon had a lot of band 13 only sites. This was likely driven because of the limited backhaul to the site. No point in supping up the tower if you canít give it a good supply of fiber. Hopefully with carriers pushing more and more for 5G home internet they can beef up the fiber systems supplying these towers since the ROI will now be more in their favor.

Feedback Score
    Thatís not accurate. AT&T uses DSS and hasnít experienced the same declines in performance. Youíre also wrong in assuming that C-Band will solve all of Verizonís congestion and performance issues. It will be similar to millimeter wave, just over a slightly larger area. Great performance if youíre close enough to the tower, but it will fall back to low band if youíre indoors or more than a mile away from the cell site. You also have to remember that only 46 areas are getting C-Band in December. Most of the country is going to have to wait until 2023..
    So much wrong here. C-band will cover more than "slightly more" than mmwave. but don't take my word we only have to wait a few month for you to be proven wrong. Also c-band WILL help with congestion. If someone is using c-band they aren't using LTE spectrum. Thus freeing up LTE spectrum.

As far as the 46 "areas" these are PEAs which are very large. Over 60% of the US lives in these PEAs. In areas like California, New York and Florida, 80-90% f the population will be covered. Haven't done the math on Texas but I'm sure it's at least 70%

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    So much wrong here. C-band will cover more than "slightly more" than mmwave. but don't take my word we only have to wait a few month for you to be proven wrong. Also c-band WILL help with congestion. If someone is using c-band they aren't using LTE spectrum. Thus freeing up LTE spectrum.

As far as the 46 "areas" these are PEAs which are very large. Over 60% of the US lives in these PEAs. In areas like California, New York and Florida, 80-90% f the population will be covered. Haven't done the math on Texas but I'm sure it's at least 70%
    C-Bandís range is about a mile under ideal conditions. Terrain, weather, usage, buildings and other things can shorten that. Outside of city centers and other really dense areas, towers are spaced farther apart than that. You also have to understand that 80 percent of mobile traffic is INDOORS, and the building propagation characteristics of c-Band are very poor to nonexistent. You are correct that over 70 percent of the US population lives in the top 50 markets. However, Verizon is the dominant rural carrier, and many of those areas are experiencing heavy congestion. In fact, rural customers are over 40 percent of Verizonís base. So if you take all of that into consideration youíll see that low band is still going to be carrying most of the traffic. Iíll also throw in the fact that only 20 percent of Verizonís customers have a 5G capable phone.

Feedback Score
    C-Band’s range is about a mile under ideal conditions.
    wrong. Under idea conditions it can go over 7 miles or more. There have people here that have gotten over 1 mile on CBRS, which is lower power from inside their car with the phone down in the console. You're risking look real stupid real soon. It would be different if you were making a prediction that will be proven wrong 5 years from now that 5 months form now

Terrain, weather, usage, buildings and other things can shorten that. Outside of city centers and other really dense areas, towers are spaced farther apart than that.
    Please educate yourself before speaking. You're one of those people that think because they say something they can make it true. Guess what reality doesn't work that way.

You also have to understand that 80 percent of mobile traffic is INDOORS, and the building propagation characteristics of c-Band are very poor to nonexistent.
    then T-Mobile's n41 is equally useless. Also indoors? You mean where people have access to wi-fi?

You are correct that over 70 percent of the US population lives in the top 50 markets. However, Verizon is the dominant rural carrier, and many of those areas are experiencing heavy congestion. In fact, rural customers are over 40 percent of Verizon’s base. So if you take all of that into consideration you’ll see that low band is still going to be carrying most of the traffic. I’ll also throw in the fact that only 20 percent of Verizon’s customers have a 5G capable phone.
    yes yes because only 20% have 5G phones in 2021 then in 2023, 2025, 2027 etc ect only 20% will still have phones. Got to love the very short short short term thinking you T-Mobile people have.

Congestion is going to be a area by area situation. I'm one of those rural people I'm on Start Unlimited with no priority data I have no issues

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Loyalty
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    IMO this is what will likely separate Verizon and AT&T from T-Mobile in the long run. If I remember right AT&T has around 1.2 million miles of fiber and Verizon has around a million (I know Verizon isn’t done laying fiber but I don’t know about AT&T). I’m not sure how much fiber sprint had but I thought they had a pretty decent fiber network as well that t-mobile got in the deal as well. But I still believe a vast majority of t-mobile fiber backhaul comes from other sources (including AT&T and Verizon).

Verizon sold off fiber where I live in the Midwest when they divested landline here off to Frontier. My understanding is that Verizon is fiber rich in the Northeast but they don’t run much to cell sites outside that area. AT&T is running most of the fiber to both their sites and Verizon sites in areas where they are the incumbent local exchange carrier.

This along with better than ever density is how AT&T has pulled even with Verizon along with better density. I’d say in a lot of areas and on 5G AT&T has pulled in front.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast