Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TF Moto G Stylus 2021 No Data Connection When Charging

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

TF Moto G Stylus 2021 No Data Connection When Charging

As the title says...TF Moto G Stylus 2021 Android 10, (all available system updates installed) with TF/VZW sim has no data connection when charging. Can use wifi fine, but cut wifi off and try mobile data and it will not connect. It will still show LTE beside the signal bar, but it has an "X" in the middle of the signal bar. I do not have data saver enabled at any time if that helps any.

Had the phone little over a month, bought new in package. Hadn't tried using mobile data while charging till last night. Storm caused 5 hour power outage and was charging with a power bank when I discovered the issue. Thought it might be something to do with the power bank so today I tried it on regular charger plugged into the wall and done same thing, no mobile data connection while charging.

Any thoughts or suggestion how to fix this issue would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Never heard of this before. I suppose you've tried the usual reboot phone.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Never heard of this before. I suppose you've tried the usual reboot phone.
    Yes, tried that. Done reset network settings and still doesn't connect.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    That certainly is a strange problem, I've never heard of it and a Google Search didn't find any hit.

1. Can you try this: turn Wifi off, turn Data on, use the phone to browse a web site, leave the phone activitiy as is while plugging a USB cable into its charging port (without a charger on the other end). Does the X in the signal appears/disappears as you plug/unplug the cable at the phone?

2. The 2nd test is similar to the 1st test, but instead of plugging/unplugging the cable at the phone's charging port, leave the cable plugged into the phone but plug/unplug the cable end at the wall charger instead, to see if the power flow causes the problem.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That certainly is a strange problem, I've never heard of it and a Google Search didn't find any hit.

1. Can you try this: turn Wifi off, turn Data on, use the phone to browse a web site, leave the phone activitiy as is while plugging a USB cable into its charging port (without a charger on the other end). Does the X in the signal appears/disappears as you plug/unplug the cable at the phone?

2. The 2nd test is similar to the 1st test, but instead of plugging/unplugging the cable at the phone's charging port, leave the cable plugged into the phone but plug/unplug the cable end at the wall charger instead, to see if the power flow causes the problem.
    Ok...Remembered I had just updated carrier services couple days ago, after that is when the X started showing up. Got a bad update with it few months ago so I forced stopped and disabled carrier services, the X is gone now.

Did the tests on plugging/unplugging the cable both ways. It was slow, but it did load HoFo, but when I clicked on this thread it wouldn't load, timed out.

I went to another room and tried a different outlet, plugged in and page loaded right up. Unplugged it, waited few seconds and tried it again, wouldn't load.

Tried different cables and charge blocks, didn't work.

I'm at a loss, never had this happen before with any phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Ok...Remembered I had just updated carrier services couple days ago, after that is when the X started showing up. Got a bad update with it few months ago so I forced stopped and disabled carrier services, the X is gone now.
    I read the RECENT comments about the Carrier Services app and they were negative. I think that app is only needed for the Chat function of Messages. I disabled it on my phones.

Did the tests on plugging/unplugging the cable both ways. It was slow, but it did load HoFo, but when I clicked on this thread it wouldn't load, timed out.

I went to another room and tried a different outlet, plugged in and page loaded right up. Unplugged it, waited few seconds and tried it again, wouldn't load.

Tried different cables and charge blocks, didn't work.

I'm at a loss, never had this happen before with any phone.
    The hardest problem to troubleshoot is one that doesn't behave consistently.

1. Just curious, are you using the charging block that comes with the Moto G Stylus ?

2. With the X gone, are you still having problem with no Data while charging?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    My Moto G Power is on charge, so I tried going online with only data and it worked without issue.

Feedback Score
    What about running the Network Signal Info app to see what it sniffs out about the Data connection.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I read the RECENT comments about the Carrier Services app and they were negative. I think that app is only needed for the Chat function of Messages. I disabled it on my phones.

The hardest problem to troubleshoot is one that doesn't behave consistently.

1. Just curious, are you using the charging block that comes with the Moto G Stylus ?

2. With the X gone, are you still having problem with no Data while charging?
    Yes...Using cable and charge block that came with Stylus. Then tried cable with Stylus block from G Power, same results. Tried G Power block, same results.

With the X gone data is sporadic while charging, connected couple times then wouldn't connect again. Thats the confusing part.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    What about running the Network Signal Info app to see what it sniffs out about the Data connection.
    Just installed it and will see what it says.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I only update the few apps I use with the exception of Carrier Services which I also do the updates for. I always thought it may be something the phone needs for general functionality. So you've had no issues disabling it ?
    Thx.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Interesting. I only update the few apps I use with the exception of Carrier Services which I also do the updates for. I always thought it may be something the phone needs for general functionality. So you've had no issues disabling it ?
    Thx.
    I uninstalled it on a previous phone several months ago when it updated and I couldn't send or receive text. Uninstalled it and solved that problem.

Disabled it on the G Stylus this post is about and it resolved the X in the signal bar issue.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Disabled it on the G Stylus this post is about and it resolved the X in the signal bar issue.
    FYI, on my phones with recent Android level, the x in the signal bars indicates no Data (either because it was turned off, or other reasons like wrong APN, etc).

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    FYI, on my phones with recent Android level, the x in the signal bars indicates no Data (either because it was turned off, or other reasons like wrong APN, etc).
    Thanks. APN is TRACFONE.VZwENTP, is this correct?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I only update the few apps I use with the exception of Carrier Services which I also do the updates for. I always thought it may be something the phone needs for general functionality. So you've had no issues disabling it ?
    Here's an article about Carrier Services . My understanding is that it's required for RCS/Chat. Since I don't use Messages Chat (which I think requires Data or WiFi to send even SMS), I disable Carrier Services on the phones that lets me do it. On some phones, you can't disable it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast