Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: My Tracfone got wet

Feedback Score

My Tracfone got wet

Got caught in downpour today and the rain soaked through my bad and seeped into my J7 Crown. First the home button wouldn't work and I noticed that's where the water was when I slapped it on my palm and felt the water seep out of it.

I took a hair dryer to it and it worked for a few minutes but now the power button on the side doesn't even function anymore. I can't turn it on or off and the home button does nothing at all when I press it. I love this phone and hate to have it die.

If others have had this happen, will the insides dry naturally in a day or so and be back to normal again? Or is it time I start shopping for a replacement? I'm so pissed at myself for not protecting it more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chris330r View Post
    Got caught in downpour today and the rain soaked through my bad and seeped into my J7 Crown. First the home button wouldn't work and I noticed that's where the water was when I slapped it on my palm and felt the water seep out of it.

I took a hair dryer to it and it worked for a few minutes but now the power button on the side doesn't even function anymore. I can't turn it on or off and the home button does nothing at all when I press it. I love this phone and hate to have it die.

If others have had this happen, will the insides dry naturally in a day or so and be back to normal again? Or is it time I start shopping for a replacement? I'm so pissed at myself for not protecting it more.
    I've always read that putting it in a sealed bag with uncooked rice to absorb the water may be the thing to do. Never had the need to try it.
    Depending how hot your hair dryer is, that may not have been the thing to do.

Feedback Score
    Looks like you can't remove the back on this model this model, so drying will be much more difficult. You can't use much heat on modern electronic devices, as the lead free solder they use on the circuit boards melts at fairly low temperatures.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion, it'll take rice grains a long time to absorb any moisture. Hair dryer has a drawback is that it blows water in deeper. Put the phone in direct sunlight if possible, or in a car with the windows rolled up on a hot day.

Some circuits will short out with just a little bit of water. I had an LG Ultimate 2 that I really liked. I accidentally spilled some plain coffee on its back and immediately wiped it off, but the camera never worked again, the camera app says "No Camera Found".

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We’ve successfully done the rice thing 3 times. But it may take a few days and changing rice a couple of times.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Rice does work...Take the sim card and sd card out of the phone, then put the phone in a zip lock bag and fill the bag with rice. Leave at least 24 hours.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    You probably fried it turning it on after the hair dryer. You can try the rice but I would be preparing to buy a new phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It's possible the hair dryer fried it, but i'll try the rice/ziploc bag anyway. The only thing I can do with it is see incoming texts and slide the menu down from the top of the screen. That's now the only way it functions. The Home button does nothing and neither does the power button. Can't even turn it on and off. I'm so mad at myself for leaving it in an outer pocket of the bag instead of moving it to an inside compartment. But crap happens so I won't kick myself....but I love this phone so much.

Some of you may recall I bought a Samsung A01 recently and didn't care for it, but kept it in a drawer so thankfully I have a backup to use.

Tracfone website has the J7 Crown for $39.99 but it's "reconditioned". Does anyone have experience with reconditioned phones? Should I chance it? Stay away? Brand new J7 Crowns go for 100 or more new on ebay, but I don't know if I want to spend that much on it. If anyone can recommend reconditioned, I may give it a try.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone website has the J7 Crown for $39.99 but it's "reconditioned". Does anyone have experience with reconditioned phones? Should I chance it? Stay away?
    Many people, including me, are VERY happy with refurbished phones sold by Tracfone. Often, you can't tell it from a brand-new one. I have bought 4 refurbs from TF and none of them had any blemish. Back when the battery was still removable, they usually sent a brand-new battery and back cover.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It's possible the hair dryer fried it, but i'll try the rice/ziploc bag anyway. The only thing I can do with it is see incoming texts and slide the menu down from the top of the screen. That's now the only way it functions. The Home button does nothing and neither does the power button. Can't even turn it on and off. I'm so mad at myself for leaving it in an outer pocket of the bag instead of moving it to an inside compartment. But crap happens so I won't kick myself....but I love this phone so much.

Some of you may recall I bought a Samsung A01 recently and didn't care for it, but kept it in a drawer so thankfully I have a backup to use.

Tracfone website has the J7 Crown for $39.99 but it's "reconditioned". Does anyone have experience with reconditioned phones? Should I chance it? Stay away? Brand new J7 Crowns go for 100 or more new on ebay, but I don't know if I want to spend that much on it. If anyone can recommend reconditioned, I may give it a try.
    Check out HSN, they have some good cheap deals on bundles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Many people, including me, are VERY happy with refurbished phones sold by Tracfone. Often, you can't tell it from a brand-new one. I have bought 4 refurbs from TF and none of them had any blemish. Back when the battery was still removable, they usually sent a brand-new battery and back cover.
    Thanks. I may consider it then. The Tracfone chat lady said i'd have to buy an airtime card with it so the cheapest would be a $15 card plus the phone and comes with free Fed Ex shipping. So $55 + tax isn't too bad.

I have checked HSN and QVC, which was where I got my A01 in back May so i'll use that for now, but as you may recall I hate the new "skinny" phones so I think i'll just snag that J7 on Tracfone before it's gone because I prefer my "fat" screen phones and they seem to be getting obsolete these days.

Feedback Score
    Well the J7 is now out of stock at Tracfone website lol. Did someone here snag it after seeing my post?

I filled out the "notify me" box so if it comes back in stock they'll alert me. They have the J2 for just $14.99. It's only 5" screen though and 8mp camera, but i'm wondering if that's a good cheapo replacement till the J7 comes back? Anybody have the J2 and can recommend?

Feedback Score
    $14.99 is a darn good deal considering this phone goes for big bucks on other carriers. It was at the time more expensive on Tracfone from what I recall and $39.99 is the new price they sell it at , it appears. Tracfone refurbs are very high in quality , I had a couple while back and they were like new.

FYI looks like the TF Ebay store has run out of some models and I don't see them on their page anymore.

Feedback Score

The few Tracfone refurbs I have gotten have all been perfect - indistinguishable from new. They are probably purchase returns that were never or barely used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBear916 View Post
    $14.99 is a darn good deal considering this phone goes for big bucks on other carriers. It was at the time more expensive on Tracfone from what I recall and $39.99 is the new price they sell it at , it appears. Tracfone refurbs are very high in quality , I had a couple while back and they were like new.

FYI looks like the TF Ebay store has run out of some models and I don't see them on their page anymore.
    I'll keep checking to see if the J7 comes back refurbished because that was my favorite phone out of all the ones I had. Now that I know the Tracfone refurbs are highly recommended here, i'll go for those now. Till then i'll live with my Galaxy A01 for now. It's so skinny and tall I can't stand it lol. But it'll have to do for now.

EDIT: The wet J7 is still a paperweight this morning. I think i'll hold a private service and bury it out in the backyard.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast