Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 5G access by plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    The iPhone 12 has arguably half-baked support for 5G because it supports neither VoNR (officially) nor aggregation of multiple types of 5G (FDD, TDD sub-7 GHz, and mmWave). The X60 officially supports VoNR and can aggregate all types of 5G with each other, which will greatly improve the effective range of both mmWave and C-Band by allowing them to aggregate with lowband 5G for uplink.
    Does the iPhone 13 support all that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    5G icon does not always mean faster speed. 5G+ icon is mmWave and is way faster but it has been very slowly deployed.

If you have a 5G icon, you’re on 5G nationwide, which means you’re sharing bandwidth with LTE and your speeds will generally be more or less the same but latency should be better.

AT&T has indeed been fencing off their 5G in some plans. For example prepaid only gets it on the highest Unlimited Plus plan. I suspect that AT&T will eventually give everyone access to 5G nationwide but keep mmWave for the higher tier plans. 5G icons move phones because the carriers have sold everyone on 5G = fast even if that’s not really the reality right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So the 34.99 prepaid iPad plan won’t be able to access 5G if in a 5G iPad? Sad. Sad.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaOne81 View Post
    Didn’t know the differences on 5Ge etc so thanks.

I did go ahead and change my plan for the extra data. The next day I was near the center of town and I saw the “5Ge” icon which I didn’t realize wasn’t real 5G (at home I only get LTE if I shut off WiFi). I ran a speed test (twice) and both times got about 210 down and 19 up.

On LTE I get about 60 down and 2-3 up. At home my WiFi on FiOS gets me about 100/100.

So even if it’s not “true” 5G, I sure can’t imagine a need in the foreseeable future where 200 down / 2X my home WiFi is insufficient . So perfectly happy with my more data and plenty fast speeds.

Thanks!
    FIOS at 100/100? That’s worst than my spectrum plan

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AdwinDawn View Post
    Does the iPhone 13 support all that?
    Ostensibly. We’ll need to wait for a teardown to be absolutely sure it uses the X60 modem, however.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2