Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help switching from Verizon to Tracfone

Feedback Score

Need help switching from Verizon to Tracfone

I have an eTalk Verizon flip phone. I'm running out my balance and now want to switch over to TF. How should I go about this ?

I picked up the KYOSP Sim Kit to swap the sim card. I believe thats what I needed.

Do I cancel my Verizon account first ? Can I keep my current number ? Do I need to set up an account first with TF ?
    Do I need to fund the account first or after ? It says keep your own 'SmartPhone' yet mine is just a flip. I couldn't find a sim kit for just flips, will this work ?

Here are some of the specs of the phone:
    Network 4G LTE (B2/B4/B5/B13)LTE cat 4UMTS (850/1900 MHz)GSM (850/1900 MHz)
    Pre-installed SIM Card (4FF)

Would it be easier/better to just get a TF flip or is swapping the Sim relatively painless ? I have very little phone knowledge btw, I just leave it in the glove box for emergencies only.

Thank you...

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    To switch from another carrier to TF and port in your phone number, do these steps in order:
    1. Get the account number and PIN (to prove you own the account/number) from the current carrier.
    2. Do NOT cancel your account with the current carrier. If you do, you no longer own that phone number.
    3. Buy a BYOP SIM kit for your current phone, or buy a TF-branded phone.
    4. Buy a TF time card at an online store (Amazon, Best Buy, Tracfone...) or a local store. Start out with a $15 30-day card if you want to see how well TF works for you. Write down the time card PIN number (scratch it off a physical card).
    5. Pick the SIM for the carrier of your choice (AT&T, T-mo, Verizon) and compatible with your BYOP phone. Write down its SIM number before inserting it into your phone. If you bought a TF-branded phone, there's a "Red Card" in the box with the IMEI and SIM number printed on it.
    6. Contact TF via Chat (go to TF web site-->HELP-->Contact Us-->Chat). If you don't see the Chat icon (see screenshot below), turn off your ad/pop-up blocker, or try another browser. Use Chat instead of calling, so you don't have to deal with the rep's heavy accent. Plus, you can copy-and-save the Chat transcript from the chat box for record.
    7. Tell the rep you want to activate the BYOP SIM (or TF-branded phone) with a port-in. Provide the SIM number, IMEI number, time card PIN number, account number and PIN of the current carrier, a contact phone number (different from the number being ported in) and email address.
    8. After a few days and the phone number has been ported over to TF, TF will contact you by phone or email to finish activating your phone.

You do not need to contact the current carrier to let them know that you're porting out.

The BYOP SIM Kit works for both smartphones and flip phones.

You can create TF account later. I'll send you a Private Message later on how to do it, and use my Referral Code to get reward points.

I hope that helped.

Name:  Tracfone-Chat-icon.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  35.0 KB
    Last edited by hpham; 08-01-2021 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Edited: $15 card, not $150 card.

Feedback Score
    It may also be recommended that if you use autopay on Verizon that after the port and all is working good on TF, that you delete the autopay info and/or cancel the Verizon account. ONLY after the port to TF is all confirmed complete. I've heard horror stores that if you're on autopay a carrier might continue to charge you.

Also @hpham. There was mention in another thread whether a Verizon phone can be activated on TF/Vzw if it's still locked by Verizon. I didn't get a clear answer on that ? Thx

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Also @hpham. There was mention in another thread whether a Verizon phone can be activated on TF/Vzw if it's still locked by Verizon. I didn't get a clear answer on that ? Thx
    I have no personal experience with that, so can't answer your question with certainty. Typically, if the phone is not reported stolen, not owing money, not tied to a long-term contract, then it can be used as BYOP with TF. The best way to confirm is to run its IMEI through the checker on TF web site.

Someone said a phone still locked to Verizon will accept a TF/Verizon SIM. I have no experience with that either. I know that an AT&T GoPhone (now AT&T Prepaid) that I had would accept a TF/AT&T SIM out of the box without needing to get unlocked.

Feedback Score
    You can also do the above process completely online. I did for two new activations with port in from T-Mobile one to TF ATT the other to TF TMO and both worked within a half hour.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    You can also do the above process completely online.
    Yes, you can. But with the OP being new to TF and probably not familiar with navigating TF web site, I figured it would be better for him to have some "handholding" from a TF rep.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    There was mention in another thread whether a Verizon phone can be activated on TF/Vzw if it's still locked by Verizon. I didn't get a clear answer on that ? Thx
    I know locked prepaid phones won't work with TF. I've read reports of some post paid phones not working either, though they were mostly recently released high end phones.

I haven't personally tried any of that though. I haven't bought a Verizon branded phone in several years and that was before Verizon started locking pre-paid phones.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I know locked prepaid phones won't work with TF. I've read reports of some post paid phones not working either, though they were mostly recently released high end phones.

I haven't personally tried any of that though. I haven't bought a Verizon branded phone in several years and that was before Verizon started locking pre-paid phones.
    Verizon prepaid phones are unlocked now after 60 days. If the TF/VZW merger does take place maybe they will put that policy in place for TF phones.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Verizon prepaid phones are unlocked now after 60 days.
    Locked for 60 days is still locked.

Prior to the change you could but a brand new Verizon prepaid phone and put an active TF SIM in and it work. Now you can't.

(Memory is fuzzy but maybe you could even activate a new SIM with a brand new VZW prepaid IMEI.)

And porting to VZW prepaid for 2 mo and then back to TF negates any saving from buying the phone (loosing your TF balance in the process as well).

Not sure what is unlocked after 60 days either. Could you then use the VZW prepaid with an ATT MVNO? Or just unlocked for VZW MVNOs? What about post paid?

I quit keeping track of all that years ago.

Feedback Score
    ............... Could you then use the VZW prepaid with an ATT MVNO? Or just unlocked for VZW MVNOs? What about post paid?
    I've noticed that most VZW branded phones wouldn't even have the bands for ATT/TM so only unlocked for Vzw mvno's.

Feedback Score
    Locked for 60 days is still locked.

Prior to the change you could but a brand new Verizon prepaid phone and put an active TF SIM in and it work. Now you can't.
    Quite a while ago that Verizon started SIM locking the Prepaid phones. 2016/2017? I had a Moto G4 Play that needed a third party unlock to use an activated TF/VZW SIM. The Verizon service requirement for unlock on those models was 12 months, not just 60 days.

Feedback Score
    I've noticed that most VZW branded phones wouldn't even have the bands for ATT/TM so only unlocked for Vzw mvno's.
    That's true about some Verizon prepaid phones being stripped of GSM capability. Their Moto G4 Play had no HSPA and only one obscure AT&T LTE band.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Not sure what is unlocked after 60 days either. Could you then use the VZW prepaid with an ATT MVNO? Or just unlocked for VZW MVNOs? What about post paid?
    Guess it depends on whether the phone is compatible with another carrier after its unlocked. Yes, you can use the VZW prepaid on post paid after its unlocked.

Verizon has some descent phones that are prepaid now. The prepaid plans have came down in price too, actually there comparable to TF now for the monthly plans. Plus they have loyalty rewards which makes it more affordable.

My husband has VZW prepaid, he likes it except for the non-existent customer service.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    That's true about some Verizon prepaid phones being stripped of GSM capability.
    Wasn't there a VZW Prepaid Moto E4 that one could buy for around $30-$40 at Family Dollar and got it unlocked through an Ebay seller for a few bucks (before Verizon made it impossible on later batches)? Did it have all the bands?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Wasn't there a VZW Prepaid Moto E4 that one could buy for around $30-$40 at Family Dollar and got it unlocked through an Ebay seller for a few bucks (before Verizon made it impossible on later batches)? Did it have all the bands?
    I used my Verizon prepaid E4 (e-bay unlock) with a Tracfone BYOP AT&T SIM for several years and never ever lost a really good signal. To try not to alert Verizon of its activated existence, I never put a TF Verizon SIM in it. Although the few times I turned it off and back on it did inform me that the SIM was not for Verizon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast