Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone branded A405DL came with its own SIM card - can I use another SIM card in it?

Carrier(s)
    Tello (for the time being)
    Feedback Score

Tracfone branded A405DL came with its own SIM card - can I use another SIM card in it?

We've been here before but I'm still not sure of the answer. I have a Tracfone branded A405DL flip phone that came with a Tracfone SIM card. I activated the SIM card and ported in my number and use it as a spare. Haven't I read here that the phone is somehow "married" to the SIM card in this case? Do I have to use this SIM card exclusively in this phone?

My brother-in-law wants to keep a phone in the glove compartment and I'm willing to part with this one. If I give the flip phone to him to use either with Tracfone or PagePlus, what do I have to do to disconnect the SIM card from the phone? Or can it be done? Would it be easier to tell him just to buy his own cheap Alcatel flip phone and activate the SIM card that comes with it?
    I have several religious and historical books for sale in my Bonanza booth.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Basic rules of thumb:
    * swapping a SIM that uses TF/Verizon into a TF-branded phone is asking for troubles.
    * swapping a BYOP SIM that uses TF/AT&T (and maybe TF/T-mo) into a TF-branded phone will work, but it's not "sanctioned" by TF. Don't tell a rep about it.
    * using a SIM different from the phone's original SIM will not get that phone unlocked by TF after 12 months of paid service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    We've been here before but I'm still not sure of the answer. I have a Tracfone branded A405DL flip phone that came with a Tracfone SIM card. I activated the SIM card and ported in my number and use it as a spare. Haven't I read here that the phone is somehow "married" to the SIM card in this case? Do I have to use this SIM card exclusively in this phone?

My brother-in-law wants to keep a phone in the glove compartment and I'm willing to part with this one. If I give the flip phone to him to use either with Tracfone or PagePlus, what do I have to do to disconnect the SIM card from the phone? Or can it be done? Would it be easier to tell him just to buy his own cheap Alcatel flip phone and activate the SIM card that comes with it?
    What are you going to use when you get rid of the phone? You could transfer that phone account to another phone you want. That will free the sim that's in the phone to be reactivated.
    Or, your in-law can just get a A405DL for $5-$10. Any TF company brand will do.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    A reconditioned one is selling for $4.99, with airtime purchase. https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...-tfala405dcr-p
    Reconditioned Tracfones look new/unused because mostly they are returned unused purchases. If you wait a few minutes before selecting the offered (TMFL) airtime you will be offered a 15% discount. The bundle allows you to use promo code SUNNY2021 for 20% off phones + airtime card bundle purchase... but using it may remove the 15% discount if only one is allowed. I do not know if shipping will be free. The airtime will not come as a card, rather it will be assigned to the SIM... to be added at activation.

Feedback Score
    How long has the phone used? If more than 12 months and meet the unlock requirements, you can request the unlock code to unlock the phone and then move the current phone number (not the SIM card) to another Tracfone phone or a BYOP SIM ($.99) on another unlocked phone. You can give the 405DL to your brother-in-law to do whatever he wishes. (I have an A405DL that currently uses a FreeUP SIM after it was unlocked.) If the phone doesn't meet the unlock requirements, you still do the similar things san unlock but your brother-in-law can only use the phone with Tracfone even with the same original SIM. Make sure you remove the phone from your Tracfone account beforehand because if it currently is in an account Tracfone will ask for the account PIN (not account login password) to verify the person who requests activation does own the phone. If the phone isn't in an account, IMEI will be asked instead. This way your brother-in-law doesn't have to know your account PIN.

Feedback Score
    I went to reactivate an A405DL, that I let the service expire. It had been on TF/VZ. The rep said that they could not reactivate a sim that had expired service, and I would have to purchase a new sim. After purchasing a BYOP sim kit I used the TF/VZ sim. I called to activate the phone with the new sim, explained to them what I did, and they reactivated the phone, no problem.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Landngroove View Post
    I went to reactivate an A405DL, that I let the service expire. It had been on TF/VZ. The rep said that they could not reactivate a sim that had expired service, and I would have to purchase a new sim.
    That rep was wrong. I've reactivated several TF-branded phones (LG Journey, Smasung J3 Sky, Samsung A10e) using their original TF/Verizon SIM.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (for the time being)
    Feedback Score
    My genuine thanks to all who have replied. I appreciate the information and suggestions. I'm still confused about reactivation. Do you mean reactivate the SIM card itself or reactivating the phone with a different SIM card which makes more sense?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm still confused about reactivation. Do you mean reactivate the SIM card itself or reactivating the phone with a different SIM card which makes more sense?
    Most TF-branded phones nowadays come with a TF/Verizon SIM, and TF will re-use that SIM. If you reactivate the phone (same as reactivate the original SIM because they're paired together) within 60 days of its expiration/deactivation, the previous balance will be restored, but a time card is still needed. The phone number may or may not be restored.

If the new owner wants a completely fresh start, simply tell the rep that he just bought/was given the phone and want to activate the phone as a new line. A new phone number will be assigned based on the zip code provided by the user. A time card (bought locally or online) will be needed.

Feedback Score
    My genuine thanks to all who have replied. I appreciate the information and suggestions. I'm still confused about reactivation. Do you mean reactivate the SIM card itself or reactivating the phone with a different SIM card which makes more sense?
    A phone and a TF/Verizon SIM activate together as a unit. The SIM can be either new or repurposed. The SIM will be on record as linked to a particular IMEI and vice versa. You can change the pairing by notifying TF. It can be problematic if you just swap things around casually.

The situation is different for AT&T and T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Landngroove View Post
    I went to reactivate an A405DL, that I let the service expire. It had been on TF/VZ. The rep said that they could not reactivate a sim that had expired service, and I would have to purchase a new sim. After purchasing a BYOP sim kit I used the TF/VZ sim. I called to activate the phone with the new sim, explained to them what I did, and they reactivated the phone, no problem.
    As @hpham mentioned you can reactivate a Vzw sim. Not so with ATT/TMO.
    Was the A405DL ever unlocked ? If not, puts into question that you can't activate a BYOP sim in a branded phone. Unless there's some other twist I'm missing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Was the A405DL ever unlocked ? If not, puts into question that you can't activate a BYOP sim in a branded phone. Unless there's some other twist I'm missing.
    You can't use the IMEI of a TF-branded phone to activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, unlocked or not. The IMEI Checker will return a message saying there was an error and to contact TF. That's because the IMEI is still paired to its original SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You can't use the IMEI of a TF-branded phone to activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, unlocked or not. The IMEI Checker will return a message saying there was an error and to contact TF. That's because the IMEI is still paired to its original SIM.
    So in @Landngroove's case that I replied to, it was that they went through a CSR (contacted TF) that was the ticket in using the byop sim ?
    Thanks.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    So in @Landngroove's case that I replied to, it was that they went through a CSR (contacted TF) that was the ticket in.
    I think the rep paired the BYOP SIM to the phone's IMEI, replacing the original SIM. It's been done before by a rep when someone bought a TF-branded phone with a missing original SIM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Every so often a CSR will do something out of the ordinary, on their own. It is not to be taken as new policy... yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast