Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 22 GB Prioritized Data on $20 Standalone Postpaid Tablet UDP

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

22 GB Prioritized Data on $20 Standalone Postpaid Tablet UDP

So despite the ďAT&T Unlimited TabletĒ plan claiming to always be deprioritized, I got this ↑ text this morning. Has anyone been able to confirm the QCI of this plan before vs. after using 22 GB in a single billing cycle?

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    There is at least 2 varieties of the $20 plan. The add-on, and the standalone. And the standalone seems to be well hidden on their web site so I don't see where it is "advertised" to be always deprioritized.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is the standalone plan, as I mentioned, and the highlighted text on the AT&T account portal says that the plan is always deprioritized (just using the AT&T marketing/legalese speak version, which is “AT&T may temporarily slow speeds if the network is busy”).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    You have a different plan than mine. Which I signed up for last December 31st. Mine is the Unlimited for iPad, and I think I've been able to disable Streamsaver. Mine doesn't say 5G, but I don't have a 5G iPad.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I signed up for this plan last month; I was also able to disable Stream Saver; I don’t have a 5G iPad, but the plan is explicitly 5G-compatible for when I do get a 5G iPad.

I bought my iPad Pro in 2018 when Apple first rolled out iPad Face ID and haven’t seen a compelling reason to upgrade since then. I’m waiting for Apple to upgrade the modem to at least the Qualcomm X60 and to add Wi-Fi 6E support — in fact, I’ve been delaying almost all my tech purchases in order to wait for Wi-Fi 6E, with the exception of my phone because I use my phone so much that even incremental upgrades significantly improve my daily life.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There is a gentleman on Facebook group LTE Hacks by the name of James Witmyer or something like that. He's also digitallyinclined on Reddit. He's been keeping a close watch on those plans. ATT has been changing them a number of times since they found Bix, OTR, Nomad, and NetBuddy abusing the $35 prepaid iPad plans. A number of months ago some of them no longer have unlimited hotspot capabilities. I can try to find an updated guide on it for if you'd like.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Iíve got 3 of these iPad lines but Iím on the old unlimited plus plan and ive never really worried about deprioritization. I get the stupid text saying that after 22gb they could slow it down but Iíve not had an issue in 3 plus years. If they are slowing itís only for a few seconds at a time. Never enough that I can tell anyway. I think people worry way too much about that kind of stuff. At least itís not like Verizon where they hard slow you down. Plus the dirty little secret that the hotspot on the iPads is unlimited.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    There is a gentleman on Facebook group LTE Hacks by the name of James Witmyer or something like that. He's also digitallyinclined on Reddit. He's been keeping a close watch on those plans. ATT has been changing them a number of times since they found Bix, OTR, Nomad, and NetBuddy abusing the $35 prepaid iPad plans. A number of months ago some of them no longer have unlimited hotspot capabilities. I can try to find an updated guide on it for if you'd like.
    This group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/LTE.HACKS

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    Iíve got 3 of these iPad lines but Iím on the old unlimited plus plan and ive never really worried about deprioritization. I get the stupid text saying that after 22gb they could slow it down but Iíve not had an issue in 3 plus years. If they are slowing itís only for a few seconds at a time. Never enough that I can tell anyway. I think people worry way too much about that kind of stuff. At least itís not like Verizon where they hard slow you down. Plus the dirty little secret that the hotspot on the iPads is unlimited.

Well, maybe for the unlimited plus addon. And some people who got the standalone plan at the right time. I got mine last year, then within a month or 2 the 10gb limit showed up.

Mine doesn't specify 5G, so I don't know if it would support it or not. But I think my iPad dates from 2018 so I don't want to upgrade yet. I even have a backup Mini 4 if I were to break my 10.5" Pro again.

I had the Unlimited Plus several years ago, made the mistake of upgrading to a newer plan, and they just messed up my iPad. Kept on dropping to a real slow speed. Losing hotspot. Essentially matching the cheapest unlimited phone plan at the time. Drove me away from postpaid since I wasn't going to spend that kind of money for the trouble.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Yes thatís the group. I donít know how up to date he is. But heís been documenting and following all of the plan changes. (Sorry for the slow reply. Iíve been helping replace some flooring for the MIL.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Are y’all certain that the hotspot on this plan is unlimited? AT&T sent me an explicit automated text to warn me that my hotspot speeds will be throttled for the remainder if I exceed 10 GB in a single billing cycle.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Are yíall certain that the hotspot on this plan is unlimited? AT&T sent me an explicit automated text to warn me that my hotspot speeds will be throttled for the remainder if I exceed 10 GB in a single billing cycle.
    Maybe something has changed on these newer plans. I guess the easiest way to test the theory is to hook up to it and just burn some data and see what it does.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I’ll do that at the end of this billing cycle, but unfortunately a new one just began.

Feedback Score
    Are y’all certain that the hotspot on this plan is unlimited? AT&T sent me an explicit automated text to warn me that my hotspot speeds will be throttled for the remainder if I exceed 10 GB in a single billing cycle.
    The hotspot data is limited to 10 GB for new users but it used to be unlimited. After 10 GB it goes to 128 kbps or something similarly useless. People in that Facebook group, especially James W, know every detail. It tends to be the "go to" plan to recommend to a newbie there.

The plan has been through multiple changes including its name. The 10 GB hotspot limit started in February 2021 for new users and then older users started seeing it too. It's currently called "Unlimited for Tablet". Before some time in 2020 it was something like "Access for tablet". Anyone with that still has unlimited hotspot.

Most of the users on that FB group don't care about the hotspot limit because they use it in a "magic" modem/router which looks like a tablet. People report doing many hundreds of GB per month, some even a TB or two so I think the party is surely going to come to an end some day. If AT&T noticed the excessive traffic and thought they'd reduce it by limiting the hotspot allowance then they don't know how this plan is being abused.

I have a recent version in a real Samsung tablet and, rightly or wrongly, use EasyTether to provide unlimited tethering to a Raspberry Pi running WireGuard. The most I've done in a month is about 90 GB.
    Last edited by tetranz; 08-25-2021 at 07:55 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

22 GB Prioritized Data on $20 Standalone Postpaid Tablet UDP

Iíll do that at the end of this billing cycle, but unfortunately a new one just began.
    These plans have changed Vivian. Some of the newer ones only have 10gb of included hotspot data. I have 2 of these. 1 has unlimited hotspot data. The other one only has 10gb.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast