Thread: 3G shutdown date? / non-smartphones

Feedback Score

3G shutdown date? / non-smartphones

Has AT&T begun shutting down their 3G network?

My mother, who is not technologically inclined, says she's getting a message from AT&T when she tries to call out on her phone saying something like her phone will soon cease to work and to stay on the line to talk to a customer service representative (or something like that, I haven't actually heard the message myself).

I know her phone isn't VoLTE. It's not a smartphone. It probably predates when 4G was even a thing. So I'm sure that the shutdown of 3G is what the message is referring to. I just thought that shutdown was coming in February 2022 so I didn't have the sense of urgency to really look into alternative for her just yet.

Are there non-smartphones that are on the VoLTE whitelist?

She really doesn't use a cell phone. She's on that one old AT&T Prepaid plan, like 25 cents a minute and you put in $25 AT&T cards every 3 months. She's managed to accrue quite a balance on the account. Is that plan still applicable on the VoLTE network? I kind of assumed so, but thought I'd ask.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to get her on something a bit more modern. But she really doesn't use a cellphone. And "not technologically inclined" is a bit of an understatement. I also thought I had till February to figure this out. I don't think she'd ever figure out a smartphone. Nor do I think she has the will or the patience to learn. But I don't know if there are any non-smartphone VoLTE phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, they are starting to shut down 3G networks and switching to 4G and 5G. I don't think At&t has even activated 3G phones in at least a year. You can get a simple 4G flip phone for under $100, just look at their internet site for available phones or go to a store location to see them up close. Same thing happened when At&t shut down Analog and 2G devices in the past using their network. They are proactively encouraging customers using the older technology devices to upgrade their phones sooner than later.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    But are they actually shutting down 3G in parts of the country (or the whole country?) now?

I thought we had until February 2022.

I completely understand the need to get off of 3G and move to VoLTE, I'm not really questioning their motives for that. I just thought I had until February to figure something out. But now, seems I don't?

Or did I misunderstand something about the February 2022 date?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While I no longer work for At&t customer service, they typically shut the old network equipment in select markets gradually and not the entire network at the same time. If the date is scheduled for Feb 22, your market might be shut down sooner. They typically start strongly encouraging customers using the older technology 6 months before shutdown as a general guideline. Same thing happened with the shutdown of TDMA and 2G networks in the past.

Feedback Score
    https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

There are flip phones on the list. Perhaps it would be wise to beat the rush.

Sent from my moto g power using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnypackerfan View Post
    https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

There are flip phones on the list. Perhaps it would be wise to beat the rush.

Sent from my moto g power using HoFo mobile app
    I just noticed that the LG Solo (L423DL) is on the list*. So the same Tracfone model should work (after unlock)?
    It's 59.99 w/bundle on eBay.
    https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...olo-lte-l423dl

*Also the LG Journey (L322DL), Reflect, Premier Pro and Classic Flip?

Feedback Score
    I did go over there and look at the phone. Apparently it's just a block that is preventing outgoing calls until I listen to AT&T's spill about 3G being shut down.

But the interesting part... I looked at the sim card... it's a Cingular sim - that's how old the plan is. It's also a full sim card (well, a mini sim) and I think just about everything is a nano sim now. I do have a sim cutter, but I've also messed up those cuts before.

if I can get another AT&T sim card will AT&T transfer this account (and it's ancient plan) to that new sim?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    I did go over there and look at the phone. Apparently it's just a block that is preventing outgoing calls until I listen to AT&T's spill about 3G being shut down.

But the interesting part... I looked at the sim card... it's a Cingular sim - that's how old the plan is. It's also a full sim card (well, a mini sim) and I think just about everything is a nano sim now. I do have a sim cutter, but I've also messed up those cuts before.

if I can get another AT&T sim card will AT&T transfer this account (and it's ancient plan) to that new sim?
    Yes, I did the same when I changed my mom's account on a flip phone to a smartphone. I logged into the account and went to My Device, Upgrade Device and put in the new sim card id (as I recall). Checking just now, it says to call 800.901.9878 or 611. So it looks they have changed procedures since I did it a couple years ago.

Feedback Score
    I figured everything could be transferred to a new sim. I just didn't know if the plan would switch over (although I don't know why not, but it's also a great opportunity for a provider to get more cash out of you) since she's on an ancient 25 cents per minute plan.

Feedback Score
    I figured everything could be transferred to a new sim. I just didn't know if the plan would switch over (although I don't know why not, but it's also a great opportunity for a provider to get more cash out of you) since she's on an ancient 25 cents per minute plan.
    That plan still shows as an option on my Prepaid account. I have a backup phone that I keep on the $2/day plan, and have switched between a monthly and the paygo plans. I haven't done that recently so I don't know if I switched now that option would remain.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I stayed on the .10/min (grandfathered) plan briefly before switching to a monthly plan. So I could have remained if I chose to. I'd have to dig through my notes. I remember that I had to be extra careful not to use any data on that plan. At the time, I just wanted to burn the carryover balance the line had so I eventually chose a monthly plan.

Feedback Score
    (I guess it is 10 cents/minute and not 25 cents)

She just has a cell phone in case she's out and has car trouble or needs something. If she uses 5 minutes on her cell phone, then that's a lot.

But yea, I hate that she's accrued such a huge balance on the account. She just puts $25 on the account every 3 months to keep it active.

That's why I've been looking at the $60/year and $100/year ebay plans at Red Pocket. I think either of those would work for her and it'd be about the same (or cheaper) than what she's paying now. Trouble is she'd lose the outlandish balance she's accrued at AT&T Prepaid.

Luckily though with a non-smartphone it's harder (although not impossible) to use any data. I'm actually not even sure if her plan has data active on it. Like I said, it's an ancient plan originally carried over from Cingular.

Feedback Score
    Two things. First, if you stay on the line when that message comes up you can talk to a CS rep who will take the block off so she can make calls again. Basically, they are doing this to make sure people absolutely know 3G will be turned off in the future. Second, depending on the account, they are giving out free phones. Her account may not qualify due to the plan it's on, but it's worth asking when you talk to the CS rep.