Thread: Can I activate two 3gb sim on the same BYOD phone

Feedback Score

Can I activate two 3gb sim on the same BYOD phone

Currently I have a TF branded phone from HSN on verizon, and I just ordered a BYOD phone + 3gb sim. While waiting for the BYOD phone to arrive I realized that I brought another 3gb sim a while ago! Can I

(1) put one 3gb sim ("sim #1") into the new phone, use chat to ask that the phone number + balance + due date of the current TF phone be transferred/combined (what's the official term?) to the new sim #1

(2) wait a few days, use chat to transfer phone number + balance + due date from BYOD back to the original TF phone. Also, ask the rep to disconnect/unlink (what's the term?) of the BYOD phone from sim #1

(3) wait a few more days, put sim #2 to BYOD and transfer/combine balance from TF phone to (BYOD + sim #2)

I am okay with "wasting" sim #1 at the end of the process.

The reason I want to do activate both sim ASAP is that I don't know what would happen after the verzion/TF merger. Yes vzw is supposed to honor existing purchases/accounts blah blah blah, but I'd rather not have to get it over with now.

Thanks for your advice.

(I have another question about activating BYOD sim; it's of a different nature so I'll create a separate post. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rule).

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    By "3gb SIM", do you mean a preloaded 1-yr 1200/1200/3GB SIM on Ebay? If yes, which carrier is it for, AT&T, Verizon, or T-mo?

I ask because there's an Unlimited Plan that comes with 3GB, which some people buy when ordering a phone on TF web site that requires a time card purchase.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    By "3gb SIM", do you mean a preloaded 1-yr 1200/1200/3GB SIM on Ebay? If yes, which carrier is it for, AT&T, Verizon, or T-mo?

I ask because there's an Unlimited Plan that comes with 3GB, which some people buy when ordering a phone on TF web site that requires a time card purchase.
    Thanks for asking. Both sim are the 1-yr 1200/1200/3Gb ones from ebay. Both sim are on verizon, just like my current TF-branded phone.

Feedback Score
    I've added these cards one after the other to the same line a year apart without any problems. So, the only question is what is a suitable time to wait before you do the second SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    I've added these cards one after the other to the same line a year apart without any problems. So, the only question is what is a suitable time to wait before you do the second SIM.
    Thanks. What if anything did you do to first "disconnect" your phone and existing sim before you put in the new sim and activate? And what's the buzz word I should use to tell the rep to "transfer/transfer" my existing phone number+balance+due date to the new sim?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    What if anything did you do to first "disconnect" your phone and existing sim before you put in the new sim and activate? And what's the buzz word I should use to tell the rep to "transfer/transfer" my existing phone number+balance+due date to the new sim?
    When a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM is deactivated, its connection to the BYOP phone's IMEI is automatically cut.

* ACTIVATE WITH A TRANSFER: when phone number, buckets, days from an active line is tranferred to an INACTIVE phone/SIM that comes with bundled airtime. The bundled air time will automatically be added after the transfer/activation.
    * TRANSFER: when phone number, buckets, days from an active line is tranferred to an INACTIVE phone/SIM with no bundled airtime.
    * COMBINED: when you have two ACTIVE lines and want to merge their buckets, days into one line. The donor line will be deactivated and loses its phone number, buckets, days. You'll need to make sure the rep understand which line (phone number) to be the recipient and remains active.

In the steps that you plan to take:
    (1) is an ACTIVATE WITH A TRANSFER.
    (2) is a TRANSFER.
    (3) is an ACTIVATE WITH A TRANSFER.
    Last edited by hpham; 08-26-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    When a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM is deactivated, its connection to the BYOP phone's IMEI is automatically cut.

* ACTIVATE WITH A TRANSFER: when phone number, buckets, days from an active line is tranferred to an INACTIVE phone/SIM that comes with bundled airtime. The bundled air time will automatically be added after the transfer/activation.
    * TRANSFER: when phone number, buckets, days from an active line is tranferred to an INACTIVE phone/SIM with no bundled airtime.
    * COMBINED: when you have two ACTIVE lines and want to merge their buckets, days into one line. The donor line will be deactivated and loses its phone number, buckets, days. You'll need to make sure the rep understand which line (phone number) to be the recipient and remains active.
    Thanks for the clarification! I will try that once my byod phone arrive.