Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket Phones

Feedback Score

Red Pocket Phones

Where does one buy phones for Red Pocket?

I know it depends on what network you plan to use. I'm not looking for a smartphone. Just looking for a VoLTE capable feature or flip phone.

I assume for Red Pocket AT&T any AT&T Prepaid phone that you pick up at Wal-Mart will work (as long as it's on the AT&T VoLTE approved list). Is that a correct assumption?

What about for Red Pocket Verizon? I know Verizon has always been a bit more stingy with what phones they will allow on their network. I don't think you can just buy a Verizon Prepaid phone at Wal-Mart and activate it on Red Pocket (or can you?). So where does one get a phone to work on Red Pocket Verizon?

I'm just looking at different scenarios for a person that's going to have to upgrade to a VoLTE capable phone on AT&T Prepaid. I'm somewhat worried that their ancient prepaid plan will stop working, so I'm looking at alternatives. The phone plan is seldom used, so one of Red Pocket's annual eBay plans might be a good alternative. I'd consider setting them up on a Verizon network just to add some mixture to the environment (all of the rest of us have AT&T) but I don't know how to obtain a compatible Verizon phone. Additionally the Verizon plan is a few dollars more expensive, so I can't say for certain which way I'd go. Just looking for options.

Feedback Score
    Most factory unlocked Moto phones will work on the Vzw network. I think the Moto E (2020) might be one of the least expensive. It's currently $119.99 from https://www.motorola.com/us/smartpho...-e/p?skuId=414 .

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Looking for a non-smartphone though. If any exist.

Feedback Score
    at&t has a whitelist of approved unlocked phones. Or you can search the main at&t website, look at the models of dumb phones, make note of their specific model numbers, then search on ebay. You can do this for any main carrier really.

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Do you have a rough idea of how many minutes, texts & data are used monthly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    at&t has a whitelist of approved unlocked phones. Or you can search the main at&t website, look at the models of dumb phones, make note of their specific model numbers, then search on ebay. You can do this for any main carrier really.
    Yea, I think AT&T is mostly self explanatory. I could just go pick up a phone at Wal-Mart or some retailer and it'd work on Red Pocket AT&T.

But if I decided to go the Verizon Red Pocket way, then things get a bit more hairy. I don't really have any experience working with Verizon phones. I just know from the olden days, Verizon was very difficult to work with changing phones and using phones. If you bought a Verizon Prepaid phone, it might only work on Verizon Prepaid for it's entire life or at the very least had to stay on a Verizon Prepaid service for X number of months before it could be used some where else.

Verizon was all about making sure they got money from you before releasing a phone to work any where else or on any other Verizon MVNOs.

AT&T was never that way. Any AT&T branded phone would always work on any AT&T MVNO. Certain functions (like hotspot) might not work, but basic phone use would work on any AT&T MVNO. And since I'm not looking for a smartphone none of those functions would really matter - just need talk and MAYBE text.

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Most ATT pre-paid phone purchases seem to require buying some type of ATT plan now. Not sure if it is just one month though . . . . .
    Last edited by Digital Rules; 08-26-2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Found 1 phone that didn't require a plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Most ATT pre-paid phone purchases seem to require buying some type of ATT plan now. Not sure if it is just one month though . . . . .
    I'll admit my information/experience might be a little dated. But with AT&T you used to be able to just go to Wal-Mart or Target or any other retailer that sold AT&T Prepaid phones on the shelves. Buy one, and put your AT&T MVNO sim card in the phone, and simply discard the sim card that's included in the box.

Perhaps things have changed with AT&T and that is no longer possible. I do know they have a VoLTE capable whitelist that they only support, but I really can't imagine they'd have any phones on the shelf that are not on the VoLTE whitelist (since the actual intent is to activate that phone on a brand new line). Although, you're also at the mercy of whoever is stocking those shelves at the retailer (still... by now, that VoLTE whitelist has been out for several months now).

If you're talking about ordering a phone online from AT&T's website, then yea I think you have to attach a plan to it. But... at least this was my experience, you're not actually charged the price of the plan until you call to activate it. So you could pick any plan, any phone, get charged for the phone, the phone ships, and when you get the phone, you'll get a sim card to activate but if you never activate it...

All of this (for me anyway) harkens back to the days before 4G LTE. Back when Verizon was CDMA. Verizon didn't have sim cards. To activate a new phone with Verizon you had to log into your Verizon account and enter the IMEI number of the phone to have it added to your account or to switch phones on your account. AT&T had sim cards. They only activated the sim card. They didn't really care what phone you had the sim card in (it had to support the necessary AT&T frequencies). So it was always easier to switch phones with AT&T. They didn't bind anything to the IMEI of the phone being used. Verizon had to bind your account to the phone's IMEI.

So Verizon always had an interest in the actual phone that was being used on the account. AT&T just had interest in the sim card being used. That's what made changing phones with AT&T so much easier.

The horror stories you hear with AT&T and swapping sims seems to be with people taking their sim out of a VoLTE approved device and putting it in a non-VoLTE approved device and then rendering the sim unusable. I think... although I may be wrong on this... as long as you are swapping your AT&T sim from one approved VoLTE device to another approved VoLTE device then everything continues to work. Your AT&T account is tied to the sim, not the phone.

Feedback Score
    I think the easiest and most economical way is to get a Tracfone bundle deal. It will be on Verizon.

Example: https://www.qvc.com/Tracfone-LG-Clas...0.html?sc=SRCH

Feedback Score
    I recently bought 4 AT&T Moto G7 plays at Walmart on closeout at $21 each. One I put a Red Pocket sim in and it worked. One I installed my sim from my AT&T prepaid line. Both work without purchasing any additional plan. I have read that if you are using an MVNO other than AT&&T, that you should not turn on the phone with the preinstalled sim that they provide or it will be locked to AT&T prepaid for 6 months.
    The red pocket line does not receive updates, while the AT&T line updated to the latest update available.

Sent from my moto g power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I guess I should have said many of the newer phones require a plan. The ones I see advertised on Best Buy and Prepaid Compare have a plan requirement.

Sent from my moto g stylus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    TracFone devices are locked to TracFone and that isn't where you want to be.

Sent from my SM-T510 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Have you considered swapping sims temporarily to get the updates?

Feedback Score
    I considered it. I just wasn't sure about whether it could then be put back on red pocket or if it would then be locked for 6 months. I'm really not sure how that works.

Feedback Score
    I recently put a Red pocket sim into one of the AT&T prepaid G7 plays I purchased. A couple days later it received the updates.
    The first one I did it with hadn't gotten updates the last time I checked it. It's at another location so I'll have to check on that one.
    It certainly was nice to see the uodates as it's the phone my wife is now using. (After shattering the screen on her E4).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast