Thread: How to enforce CDMA-less provision on BYOD sim

Feedback Score

How to enforce CDMA-less provision on BYOD sim

I ordered a new BYOD phone to be used with a BYOD sim, on verizon. I just read that upon activating this phone, people could not receive SMS text (but they could make call/use data/send text). Turning off RCS on the old phone before transfer of service made no difference. The only thing that worked were -- for those who got service from verizon directly -- had verizon enforce "CDMA-less provision".

I use TF, and I have no confidence that their rep know what they were doing and/or have control over verizon settings --- so what should I do to take care of this issue? I suspect I'm not the first TF user facing this so I'm curious what others have done. Note: I have not yet received my phone so I don't know if this will be an issue for. I did saw report of such issues from people using Total Wireless.

In case this matter, I will be using a new BYOD sim, with service/phone number transferred from an existing TF branded vzw phone.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SaOn; 08-26-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: (misspelled CDMA)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't do anything. I just activate as normal and have no issues. I just recently swapped over to a new CDMA BYOP SIM because my old one was linked to an iPhone 7 I no longer have. Everything works fine.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 12 Pro eSIM; Pixel 2 XL
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 12 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have activated at least half a dozen sims as "CDMA-LESS".. I do it via chat and just tell them I want it provisioned as "CDMA-LESS".. Never even had it questioned and always worked.. NOTE: you only need to do this if you are activating a phone on Verizon that only has LTE bands.. I have also read that all Verizon activations are done this way now, but I can't verify that..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I don't do anything. I just activate as normal and have no issues. I just recently swapped over to a new CDMA BYOP SIM because my old one was linked to an iPhone 7 I no longer have. Everything works fine.
    Thanks. Is your new phone an iphone? I've read somewhere that iphones seem not to have this cdma-less issue (?). My new BYOD phone is an android.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    I have activated at least half a dozen sims as "CDMA-LESS".. I do it via chat and just tell them I want it provisioned as "CDMA-LESS".. Never even had it questioned and always worked.. NOTE: you only need to do this if you are activating a phone on Verizon that only has LTE bands.. I have also read that all Verizon activations are done this way now, but I can't verify that..
    Thanks. It's reassuring to hear that. I will follow your instruction when my phone arrives.

Feedback Score
    I thought I should provide an update in case people search for "CDMA-less": Yes I got it working, but only after spending half a day (really) chatting and waiting (and waiting) for call back... and in the end the agent admitted that she didn't really know what she did to make it works.

My advice: Hold off getting a CDMA-less BYOD phone until vzw-TF sort things out among themselves.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    I thought I should provide an update in case people search for "CDMA-less": Yes I got it working, but only after spending half a day (really) chatting and waiting (and waiting) for call back... and in the end the agent admitted that she didn't really know what she did to make it works.

My advice: Hold off getting a CDMA-less BYOD phone until vzw-TF sort things out among themselves.
    Interesting.. I have never had an issue, and it always worked right away.. Were you transering in a existing number ??

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As mentioned in another thread, when speaking with customer service don't use the term "CDMA-less" as many reps do not know what you are talking about. Stick to the phone make/model and don't confuse the issue. In the US, CDMA has never required a SIM card. Only LTE and VOLTE devices have required a SIM with Verizon and Sprint. Both Verizon and Sprint stopped activating CDMA only devices over a year ago.

This is referred to as the KISS method (Keep it Simple S.....).
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    As mentioned in another thread, when speaking with customer service don't use the term "CDMA-less" as many reps do not know what you are talking about. Stick to the phone make/model and don't confuse the issue. In the US, CDMA has never required a SIM card. Only LTE and VOLTE devices have required a SIM with Verizon and Sprint. Both Verizon and Sprint stopped activating CDMA only devices over a year ago.

This is referred to as the KISS method (Keep it Simple S.....).
    I have always told the rep i need "CDMA-LESS" provisioning and have not had one tell me they did not understand.. Perhaps as some have stated all new activations are being done this way and newer reps are not familliar with the older way..

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I activates several TF-branded phones recently (Moto G Power 2020, Moto E, Samsung A50). Don't know if they're CDMA-less. I just activated them online. Didn't have any problems with getting calls and texts.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know the Samsung A50 and A51 is CDMA-less at least. I know of a little spot of the hills with Verizon CDMA only, and I get no service with the A50 and A51, but I have service with the old J7 Crown which has CDMA.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    Thanks. Is your new phone an iphone? I've read somewhere that iphones seem not to have this cdma-less issue (?). My new BYOD phone is an android.
    Yes, it's an iPhone XS. I am able to disable LTE and use 1x/3G as needed with the new SIM I just activated as well.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I activates several TF-branded phones recently (Moto G Power 2020, Moto E, Samsung A50). Don't know if they're CDMA-less. I just activated them online. Didn't have any problems with getting calls and texts.
    I just checked my Moto E (2020) and it doesn't have an option to turn off LTE, unlike my iPhone XS with a new BYOP SIM. So.. looks like it's LTE-only. Interesting. I think Verizon only drops down to 1x/3G deep inside buildings here, but it's still a nice backup to have for the time being.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I think Verizon only drops down to 1x/3G deep inside buildings here, but it's still a nice backup to have for the time being.
    It's also required for areas where Verizon hasn't yet provided LTE coverage in many areas of the country.