Thread: I tried to combine minutes, yikes

Feedback Score

Angry I tried to combine minutes, yikes

My friend's spare phone is in Florida, he's not even sure if he can find it.
    He's currently vacationing in Michigan, and the spare phone expires next month.
    I tried to harvest the 1500 minutes from it, and got a surprise on TF chat.

Rep1: My system is down, let me transfer you to somebody else

Rep2: I will assist you in transferring your number.

Me: Not the number, just the minutes (I forgot to say combine the minutes, might be part of my problem).

Rep2: The minutes go with the number, I can transfer them for you.

Me: No, goodbye.

Is it no longer possible to combine minutes, or did I just win the idiot jackpot?
    Tracfone rewards referral code BNDZ-3593 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members at rewards.tracfone.com or in the Tracfone App.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    did I just win the idiot jackpot?
    You sure did.

Feedback Score
    My buddy would have been furious if I killed his phone or changed its number while he's traveling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    My buddy would have been furious if I killed his phone or changed its number while he's traveling.
    I'm confused, so I can just imagine what chat thought.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkoboy View Post
    I'm confused, so I can just imagine what chat thought.
    Here's my understanding of it...Taxman's friend is visiting Michigan. His friend carries the main phone, with a backup phone in FL. Backup phone will expire next month, and Taxman was trying to have the remaining balance of the backup phone combined to his friend's main phone. But the 2nd rep said the (backup's) phone number has to be transferred along with the balance, thus changing the number of the main phone that his friend is carrying on the trip.

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Never use the word transfer when talking about moving just the balance from one phone to another. Always use the word combine and only the word combine, otherwise you're likely to get an unpleasant surprise.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    For many years now the word transfer has meant both the airtime and the phone number together. That wasn`t always the case, but it has for several years now. It was changed to eliminate all the mistakes the CSR`s were making.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Here's my understanding of it...Taxman's friend is visiting Michigan. His friend carries the main phone, with a backup phone in FL. Backup phone will expire next month, and Taxman was trying to have the remaining balance of the backup phone combined to his friend's main phone. But the 2nd rep said the (backup's) phone number has to be transferred along with the balance, thus changing the number of the main phone that his friend is carrying on the trip.
    I see, been a long day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    Never use the word transfer when talking about moving just the balance from one phone to another. Always use the word combine and only the word combine, otherwise you're likely to get an unpleasant surprise.
    I just checked the transcript.
    The word transfer never entered into it.
    I asked to move the minutes from phone A to phone B, keeping phone B active.

After I killed the chat, I remembered we were using the word "Combine".
    First rep knew what I wanted but her system was acting up and she probably knew it was a high risk transaction.
    Second rep was assertively clueless. So the last line of my chat was "No. Goodbye". And then I closed the window.

Feedback Score
    This how I did it last time:
    My phone xxxxxx1 expires in a few months and is no longer needed. Can I have its remaining balance (xxxmin/xxxtxt/xxxGB data) added to my phone xxxxxx2 (xxxmin/xxxtxt/xxxGB data) I want to keep the number ending in xxxxxx2. Total on xxxxxx2 will be xxxmin/xxxtxt/xxxGB data)

Worked like a charm. Only took a few minutes...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryoham12 View Post
    This how I did it last time:
    My phone xxxxxx1 expires in a few months and is no longer needed. Can I have its remaining balance (xxxmin/xxxtxt/xxxGB data) added to my phone xxxxxx2 (xxxmin/xxxtxt/xxxGB data) I want to keep the number ending in xxxxxx2. Total on xxxxxx2 will be xxxmin/xxxtxt/xxxGB data)

Worked like a charm. Only took a few minutes...
    Still trying to learn, did they extend the expiration by the time left on xxxxxx1? Is the number from xxxxxx1 still allowed to be ported to another carrier or is it gone after harvesting the balances?
    Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drooper View Post
    Still trying to learn, did they extend the expiration by the time left on xxxxxx1? Is the number from xxxxxx1 still allowed to be ported to another carrier or is it gone after harvesting the balances?
    Remaining units and days on the donor phone is added to the current units/days of the recipient phone. After the transaction, the donor phone is deactivated. You cannot ported out an inactive phone number. So whether it still remains or gone is a moot point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drooper View Post
    Thanks
    No guarantees, but it's been a long time since my number hasn't remained my number for at least 60 days after a phone deactivates or I deactivate and harvest the minutes.

Two ways it could work:
    1. Port number out, your airtime is guaranteed to be there for 60 days if you reactivate with an airtime card (or buy a 9.99 30 day plan online), then you can harvest the airtime.

2. Harvest the airtime, immediately reactivate the phone with an airtime card. Your phone number isn't guaranteed, but you are highly likely to get the same number when you reactivate, then you can port it out.

Advantages to method 1:
    Your number is guaranteed to be ported out.
    The value of the airtime card you use to reactivate the old phone with gets harvested along with your existing airtime.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Method 2 is a poor choice because the number can be lost, and you'll waste the units/days bought with the time card.