Thread: Anyone using a Google Pixel 2 on a Verizon MVNO?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score

Anyone using a Google Pixel 2 on a Verizon MVNO?

It looks like a Google Pixel 2 might work out for me on Twigby, but I was curious if anyone has any experience with them. It looks like an update provided VoLTE and (hopefully) support for WiFi calling. Can anyone confirm or "dis-confirm" this? It does have band 66, is that Verizon's "rural band?"
    Google Pixel 2 on TwigbyAlcatel 4052W on Tello

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Most Verizon MVNOs don’t have WiFi calling. Time will tell if Twigby offers it.

This quote updated 7/21 suggests they don’t.

“Wi-Fi Calling and Texting is available on the old Sprint network with select phones purchased from our online store.”

https://twigby.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/...ng-and-Texting

Otherwise the Pixel 2 models fully support Verizon’s network other than 5G, band 46, and band 48. Verizon actually used to sell the 2 with their own model that had a permanently locked bootloader and eSIM permanently disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post

Otherwise the Pixel 2 models fully support Verizon’s network other than 5G, band 46, and band 48. Verizon actually used to sell the 2 with their own model that had a permanently locked bootloader and eSIM permanently disabled.
    Thanks. I've got a lot to learn about Verizon phones. Sorry for my ignorance. I went ahead picked up a Pixel 2 for $65 that is supposed to be in "Excellent" condition. It's a "Verizon Unlocked" version and I specifically asked the seller if it would work on Verizon MVNOs. I hope he got the answer right, he said yes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25511564234...53.m1438.l2649

I don't mind using older phones. The camera looks pretty good so that might be nice. I don't want 5G, so that's a plus for me.

Thanks for you comments. I appreciate the help.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I bought a Pixel 2XL recently but am not using it on Verizon or a Verizon MVNO. However, for what you paid, I think it's a deal. The camera is still really great and the phone itself is quite fast. It's no longer getting updates but it is on Android 11. Hope it's in good shape when it arrives! Got mine refurb'd, like new, and apparently it came directly from Google.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 12 Pro eSIM; Pixel 2 XL
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 12 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score

Anyone using a Google Pixel 2 on a Verizon MVNO?

Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    Thanks. I've got a lot to learn about Verizon phones. Sorry for my ignorance. I went ahead picked up a Pixel 2 for $65 that is supposed to be in "Excellent" condition. It's a "Verizon Unlocked" version and I specifically asked the seller if it would work on Verizon MVNOs. I hope he got the answer right, he said yes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25511564234...53.m1438.l2649

I don't mind using older phones. The camera looks pretty good so that might be nice. I don't want 5G, so that's a plus for me.

Thanks for you comments. I appreciate the help.
    The nice thing about Pixels is they’re pretty much universal and work on every carrier, you won’t run into Samsung’s shenanigans where some MVNOs don’t work right. The only differences are Verizon models locking the bootloader (so no custom ROMs to get updates after Google stops) and eSIM being permanently disabled or having mmWave on 5G devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Thanks IsLand_BoY and EtherealRemnant for your comments. You've put my mind more at ease. I am looking forward to the camera. Not particularly looking forward to Android. If I had my rathers I would keep using my Blackberry Q10, even though it's become almost useless online. So being up to date is not that big of a deal for me (unless it comes down to not being able to use the phone — which I'm guessing will come sooner or later).

At any rate, thanks again.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    The Pixel 2 arrived yesterday — "excellent shape" is pretty accurate. I'll have to wait "7-10 days" for the SIM, but the phone works well. It's not as small as I would like but it weighs almost the same as my Blackberry Q10 5.04 ounces vs 4.90 ounces) and it definitely does more on the Internet. The battery shows good, but reviews warned that the battery is a bit small on these (no worse than the last Android I used). I'll have to get re-used to Android charging and watching the battery.

It's at Android 10 and Google is already nagging me to upgrade to 11. It seems to work well on 10 so I would as soon like to keep it there. Is there any way to make Google's nags go away? Or is there a good reason to upgrade?

Feedback Score
    The nags won't go away. I let my Moto G Power update to Android 11 and it really seems like a yawn that just moves some stuff around maybe. It updated over existing apps without a fuss. So you know it wasn't anything much. It used to be recommended that version updates be done on a factory reset phone (no extra stuff to interfere).

Go for it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    The Pixel 2 arrived yesterday — "excellent shape" is pretty accurate. I'll have to wait "7-10 days" for the SIM, but the phone works well. It's not as small as I would like but it weighs almost the same as my Blackberry Q10 5.04 ounces vs 4.90 ounces) and it definitely does more on the Internet. The battery shows good, but reviews warned that the battery is a bit small on these (no worse than the last Android I used). I'll have to get re-used to Android charging and watching the battery.

It's at Android 10 and Google is already nagging me to upgrade to 11. It seems to work well on 10 so I would as soon like to keep it there. Is there any way to make Google's nags go away? Or is there a good reason to upgrade?
    I was just wondering how your Pixel 2 was - glad it's as advertised! I was a diehard BlackBerry user back in the day too. Started with the Curve 8320, 8900, then splurged on the 9700. It is STILL my all time favorite to date. Texting on it was a dream and it was incredibly reliable. I made the leap to Android when the S II came out; I was going on a really nice vacation and the GPS nav, full featured internet browsing, and much upgraded camera made the trip much more enjoyable. I'm still sad BlackBerry never managed to stay relevant. At one point everyone I knew had a BlackBerry, my mom included (she had the Pearl Flip).

I would update to Android 11. The security updates are worthwhile for sure. I haven't had any issues with my Android devices on 11; my 2 XL came with 11 and has been great. I got a really good deal on a Tech21 case which adds a bit of bulk but protects the phone well.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I would update to Android 11. The security updates are worthwhile for sure. I haven't had any issues with my Android devices on 11; my 2 XL came with 11 and has been great. I got a really good deal on a Tech21 case which adds a bit of bulk but protects the phone well.
    Glad to hear that about Android 11. Still on the fence about it, but I'll probably upgrade eventually. I did find I could shut down the upgrade notification, so no hurry. I've got a decent TPU case for the Pixel, and the glass screen protectors were supposed to be here on the first. They may show up tomorrow (that's the latest "expected delivery" but I'm a little skeptical because they were supposedly "out for delivery" on the 1st). (Doesn't really matter as I'm still waiting on the Twigby SIM.) I experimented with a few of the older Blackberry's, the one I mostly used was the Bold 9650, until I picked up a Q10. I also had a KeyONE on Tello for a couple years (Tello is used as my "desk phone" -- unlimited talk and text and a GB of data for $10). You could tell this one wasn't really a Blackberry. The Sprint version never got the second update, so WiFi (that got messed up during the first update) never really worked for me (I bought it used). My Tello phone (the KeyONE) was replaced with an Alcatel KaiOS flip phone because of the T-Mobile move. It works well, with a good hotspot feature for when my Internet or power goes down. (I like to get online and see what's happening using the hotspot and a laptop.)

Sorry to ramble. I do that too much.

Feedback Score
    I grabbed a brand new Pixel 2XL for $140.00 from B&H about a month ago and my Tracfone/Verizon sim works just fine.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I grabbed a brand new Pixel 2XL for $140.00 from B&H about a month ago and my Tracfone/Verizon sim works just fine.
    The Pixel 2 is working well. I did a speed test today on the LTE network and it came back with 103 Mbps. I've never had anything close to that before. The setting for WiFi calling is there, but apparently Twigby and Verizon haven't come to an agreement on using that feature yet (if ever). It's fine as is.

Good luck with you Pixel 2 XL. Twigby is selling "certified" refurbished ones for $120, which are supposed to be in like-new condition. If it had been a Pixel 2 instead I would probably bought one from them, but I really wanted something even smaller than the Pixel 2.