Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can I just sim swap a Samsung Galaxy ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I just sim swap a Samsung Galaxy ?

    I know, every couple of years, weird Samsung question. My old BYOP on Tracfone Samsung Galaxy S7 had a few annoying bugs that were never going to get fixed due to lack of updates. So I decided to treat myself to a Samsung Galaxy A42 5g capable phone, US Model, unlocked but geared towards verizon networks. Verizon has the best coverage here anyway, and well there's the whole buying tracfone thing.

    I'm trying to set it up and I see that Target sent me a 4gLTE sim card kit for Tracfone, not a 5g one. When I try to do the whole activate / upgrade thing on tracfone.com its spitting errors at me about the Sim card. I'm not sure if its defective or the wrong card or what. I'm going to try to buy the right one, tracfone on ebay is saying a week, can't get tracfone.com to let me buy one (same errors) and amazon has one but a lot of the reviews say they're sending the wrong card.

    In the meantime, the whole Samsung switch thing worked so my new phone is on the wifi network and can be used in that way. Since they both use nano sims, is there any reason why I couldn't drop the S7 sim that's currently all paid up and working with a # into the A42 until the correct sim card showed up? I'm guessing no but you all are so much better at that type of stuff then I am. And I trust the consensus here more then a lot of other forums, you've never given me bad info before!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9,154
    Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skye23 View Post
    In the meantime, the whole Samsung switch thing worked so my new phone is on the wifi network and can be used in that way. Since they both use nano sims, is there any reason why I couldn't drop the S7 sim that's currently all paid up and working with a # into the A42 until the correct sim card showed up?
    Swapping a SIM that uses TF/Verizon network nowadays is asking for troubles. I know people had done it in the past without problems, but things have changed. I won't rehash all the problems that people got into due to SIM-swapping. THIS THREAD has some of them. There are other more recent posts about SIM-swapping.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    8,118
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skye23 View Post
    I'm trying to set it up and I see that Target sent me a 4gLTE sim card kit for Tracfone, not a 5g one. When I try to do the whole activate / upgrade thing on tracfone.com its spitting errors at me about the Sim card. I'm not sure if its defective or the wrong card or what. I'm going to try to buy the right one, tracfone on ebay is saying a week, can't get tracfone.com to let me buy one (same errors) and amazon has one but a lot of the reviews say they're sending the wrong card.
    The SIM kit on Tracfone eBay is the only one that shows 4G LTE and 5G. Would think the standard 4G LTE SIMs should work, but maybe 5G phones are different. Are you looking to get 5G service? I don't think that is available on TF/VZW.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,339
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The SIM kit on Tracfone eBay is the only one that shows 4G LTE and 5G. Would think the standard 4G LTE SIMs should work, but maybe 5G phones are different. Are you looking to get 5G service? I don't think that is available on TF/VZW.
    I am using T-mobile postpaid with my Samsung Galaxy S21 phone. It doesn't say anything about 5G on the SIM, only 4G, but it does work on my phone. Prepaid coverage of 5G may be different with some carriers in some markets than what I am experiencing.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-01-2014, 09:38 PM
  2. Unlock Sim Network on Samsung Galaxy mini GT-S5570
    By StoneBoyTony in forum Android OS Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 04:18 PM
  3. Unlock Sim Network on Samsung Galaxy mini GT-S5570
    By StoneBoyTony in forum Android Wiki
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 04:18 PM
  4. For Trade: Swap Rogers Samsung Galaxy S Captivate FOR...
    By schulich98 in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 05:06 PM

Bookmarks