Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transfer the ownership of the AT&T prepaid account?

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Transfer the ownership of the AT&T prepaid account?

If my friend opens an AT&T prepaid account under his name, can he transfer the ownership of the prepaid account to me afterward? The only documentation that I see is for AT&T postpaid accounts.
    List of dumb posts:

Originally Posted by Whit
    I will be requesting the Nokia 6682. I am done with smart(dumb)phones.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    If my friend opens an AT&T prepaid account under his name, can he transfer the ownership of the prepaid account to me afterward? The only documentation that I see is for AT&T postpaid accounts.
    Should be easy. Just change the profile: name/email, remove CC if used. Put the sim in a compatible device if necessary.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Should be easy. Just change the profile: name/email, remove CC if used. Put the sim in a compatible device if necessary.
    Do you have AT&T Prepaid? Have you done this before? I have never activated an AT&T Prepaid service before so I don't know what the process is like. Does the account have a username/password? If not, how does one login? Since it's prepaid, I wonder how much personal information is even on the account?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I guarantee there is either a PIN or Password associated with the account, even on prepaid.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Do you have AT&T Prepaid? Have you done this before? I have never activated an AT&T Prepaid service before so I don't know what the process is like. Does the account have a username/password? If not, how does one login? Since it's prepaid, I wonder how much personal information is even on the account?

Thanks!
    The phone number is the account. Name/address/email can be changed, can't remember how much is actually required. I took over my mother's old paygo phone#, created the online account, pin a couple years ago. Later, changed it to a monthly account.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The phone number is the account. Name/address/email can be changed, can't remember how much is actually required. I took over my mother's old paygo phone#, created the online account, pin a couple years ago. Later, changed it to a monthly account.
    Thank you. What do you mean by how much is actually required?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. What do you mean by how much is actually required?
    Whether it's a required field when you create the account, e.g., name, address, email. Doesn't really matter since it can be changed later.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Whether it's a required field when you create the account, e.g., name, address, email. Doesn't really matter since it can be changed later.
    Thank you so much for the help. I got some more questions to ask. I'm hoping you or any other expert can help address them for me.

So long story short, a friend of mine just ordered a simcard from the AT&T Prepaid Unlimited Plus promotion. The simcard already arrived at his house. Can he activate with his credit card and then I log into the account to replace his credit card with mine? If so, will I lose the autopay discount? When changing credit cards, is there any possibility I can permanently lose the autopay discount?

I'm assuming the day that my friend activates the simcard is the day that will become the billing date? I'm assuming the $50 will be charged at the time of activation?

Thank you!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for the help. I got some more questions to ask. I'm hoping you or any other expert can help address them for me.

So long story short, a friend of mine just ordered a simcard from the AT&T Prepaid Unlimited Plus promotion. The simcard already arrived at his house. Can he activate with his credit card and then I log into the account to replace his credit card with mine? If so, will I lose the autopay discount? When changing credit cards, is there any possibility I can permanently lose the autopay discount?

I'm assuming the day that my friend activates the simcard is the day that will become the billing date? I'm assuming the $50 will be charged at the time of activation?

Thank you!
    Yes, you can change CC, or pay via checking account or PayPal. I was only briefly on a plan with an autopay discount; as I recall the discount didn't apply until the second month - can't remember. I switched to an equivalent plan w/o an autopay discount so I removed the CC entirely.
    Also, you can keep a CC on file to get the autopay discount but pay via refills (e.g., Target) and avoid taxes and fees (and purchase on sale for further savings). The payment will come first off of any refill balance, then CC.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can change CC, or pay via checking account or PayPal. I was only briefly on a plan with an autopay discount; as I recall the discount didn't apply until the second month - can't remember. I switched to an equivalent plan w/o an autopay discount so I removed the CC entirely.
    Also, you can keep a CC on file to get the autopay discount but pay via refills (e.g., Target) and avoid taxes and fees (and purchase on sale for further savings). The payment will come first off of any refill balance, then CC.
    Thank you! It's interesting that you say that because I could have sworn someone said I have to be careful or I can lose the autopay discount. Is it easy to make a mistake and lose the discount?

Do you know if the billing date is the day I activate the simcard? For example, I want to set the billing date to be the first of each month. This will make it easy for me to keep track of my bills. If true, I want to wait until October 1st before activating. Can the activation be done online? If it has to be done on the phone, is it through an automated system or do I have to speak with a rep? I'm aware I can further bring down the price with Target refills. If I get the refills, so I just load them into the account and then every month AT&T will deduct it? This way I can just load everything and just forget it or do I have to load once every month? By using the refills, will this adjust or change the billing date?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you! It's interesting that you say that because I could have sworn someone said I have to be careful or I can lose the autopay discount. Is it easy to make a mistake and lose the discount?

Do you know if the billing date is the day I activate the simcard? For example, I want to set the billing date to be the first of each month.
    - Billing is every 30 days. They will text you a reminder.

When will I be charged if I’m signed up for AutoPay?

• Monthly plan customers are charged on the 29th day of service.
    • 12-month plan customers are charged on the 359th day of service.
    • 3-month plan customers are charged on the 89th day of service.
    • Our other non-monthly customers are charged 1 day before balance expiration.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/

This will make it easy for me to keep track of my bills. If true, I want to wait until October 1st before activating. Can the activation be done online?
    If it has to be done on the phone, is it through an automated system or do I have to speak with a rep?
    - I would check the instructions that came with the sim for all your options
    https://www.att.com/prepaid/activations/#/activate.html

I'm aware I can further bring down the price with Target refills. If I get the refills, so I just load them into the account and then every month AT&T will deduct it?
    - Yes

This way I can just load everything and just forget it or do I have to load once every month?
    - Load and forget; but note the Balance Expiration date
    - Balance expires 30/90/1yr depending on the value added; <$25/30 days, $25-$99/90 days, $100/1yr.
    If you go past the expiration date, any balance is lost. If you refill, you will extend the expiration date of the entire balance to match the refill.

https://forums.att.com/conversations...7a0658435a8928

https://www.att.com/help/prepaid/
    https://www.att.com/prepaid/autopay/

By using the refills, will this adjust or change the billing date?
    - No, billing is every 30 days regardless of how you pay.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Do you know if the billing date is the day I activate the simcard? For example, I want to set the billing date to be the first of each month.
    - Billing is every 30 days. They will text you a reminder.

When will I be charged if I’m signed up for AutoPay?

• Monthly plan customers are charged on the 29th day of service.
    • 12-month plan customers are charged on the 359th day of service.
    • 3-month plan customers are charged on the 89th day of service.
    • Our other non-monthly customers are charged 1 day before balance expiration.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/

This will make it easy for me to keep track of my bills. If true, I want to wait until October 1st before activating. Can the activation be done online?
    If it has to be done on the phone, is it through an automated system or do I have to speak with a rep?
    - I would check the instructions that came with the sim for all your options
    https://www.att.com/prepaid/activations/#/activate.html

I'm aware I can further bring down the price with Target refills. If I get the refills, so I just load them into the account and then every month AT&T will deduct it?
    - Yes

This way I can just load everything and just forget it or do I have to load once every month?
    - Load and forget; but note the Balance Expiration date
    - Balance expires 30/90/1yr depending on the value added; <$25/30 days, $25-$99/90 days, $100/1yr.
    If you go past the expiration date, any balance is lost. If you refill, you will extend the expiration date of the entire balance to match the refill.

https://forums.att.com/conversations...7a0658435a8928

https://www.att.com/help/prepaid/
    https://www.att.com/prepaid/autopay/

By using the refills, will this adjust or change the billing date?
    - No, billing is every 30 days regardless of how you pay.
    Thanks for the response, but I'm still confused.

You just said billing is every 30 days and yet the FAQ said billing is charged on the 29th day of service. Huh?

Since you said billing is every 30 days, then that means it won't be possible to set the 1st of the month as the billing date due to some months having 31 days. If I want billing to be as close to the end of the month or as close to the first of the month, when do you recommend that I activate the simcard? Again, I'm assuming the day I activate service is the day that becomes my billing date?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Most (or maybe all?) carrier prepaid or MVNO services have 30 day cycles. So, based on what you posted above, the CC is charged on day 29 for the next plan renewal on day 30. With 30 day cycles, the day of the month for renewals won't always be the same.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Most (or maybe all?) carrier prepaid or MVNO services have 30 day cycles. So, based on what you posted above, the CC is charged on day 29 for the next plan renewal on day 30. With 30 day cycles, the day of the month for renewals won't always be the same.
    I'm just thinking about this right now. Assuming I activate on the first, won't there be some months where the renewal date be on the first while some months won't? Or every month will have a different renewal date?

Feedback Score
    I'm just thinking about this right now. Assuming I activate on the first, won't there be some months where the renewal date be on the first while some months won't? Or every month will have a different renewal date?
    Yes. That's why I said "the day of the month for renewals won't always be the same."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast