Thread: AT&T wants the FCC to review and potentially limit 5G spectrum Tmobile can acquire

Feedback Score

AT&T wants the FCC to review and potentially limit 5G spectrum Tmobile can acquire

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are about this:
    https://www.axios.com/att-fcc-t-mobi...d592fc41a.html

In a blog post and petition to the agency, AT&T says it wants the FCC to adopt a new, separate spectrum screen for midband spectrum — a swath of airwaves that carriers are using for their 5G services.

Spectrum screens don't put a limit on how much spectrum a carrier can hold, but instead are used to trigger an enhanced review by the FCC of spectrum acquisitions that could harm competition.

AT&T argues that a midband screen is justified, since the agency already uses the tool for low and high band spectrum.

Both Verizon and AT&T complained about the spectrum T-Mobile was amassing last fall.

T-Mobile said at the time that the FCC's spectrum screen was "woefully out of date" and didn't count airwaves that AT&T uses for its FirstNet Network for first responders.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I actually agree with the Death Star for once, albeit with the reservation that T-Mobile does deserve to have its 2.5 GHz licenses reworked to be contiguous. It’s absurd that they’re still so fragmented.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Yeah T-Mobile’s spectrum position in my market is insane. They have more low and midband than either AT&T or Verizon. The FCC needs to stop letting carriers amass such a large competitive advantage over the others.

T-Mobile has 412MHz sub-6 and 800MHz mmWave
    AT&T has 264.8MHz of sub-6 and 1000MHz mmWave
    Verizon has 266.85MHz of sub-6 and 1750MHz mmWave.

T-Mobile’s midband alone comprises 226MHz of their sub-6 holdings with Verizon at 160MHz and AT&T at 110MHz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    ATT does have a point in their argument.

However it's ironic that the company that has spent the last century doing everything they can to kill competition is now suddenly promoting it.

The biggest takeaway from this to me is that MaBell intends on participating in Auction 110 if only to slow T-Mobile's momentum.

This is purely telecom politics at play here.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1923565
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    Yeah T-Mobile’s spectrum position in my market is insane. They have more low and midband than either AT&T or Verizon. The FCC needs to stop letting carriers amass such a large competitive advantage over the others.

T-Mobile has 412MHz sub-6 and 800MHz mmWave
    AT&T has 264.8MHz of sub-6 and 1000MHz mmWave
    Verizon has 266.85MHz of sub-6 and 1750MHz mmWave.

T-Mobile’s midband alone comprises 226MHz of their sub-6 holdings with Verizon at 160MHz and AT&T at 110MHz.
    Are you counting C-Band and CBRS?

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score

AT&T wants the FCC to review and potentially limit 5G spectrum Tmobile can acquire

Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Are you counting C-Band and CBRS?
    Yes I am. I pulled this from Spectrum Omega.

The competitive advantage T-Mobile has in my county is insane.

The situation in Denver county has Verizon with an additional 30MHz of midband but AT&T with the same 110 and T-Mobile with the same 226.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I wonder if this is causing MaBell a little stress:

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/airl.../d/d-id/771518

Feedback Score
    If the FCC investigates and finds that T-Mobile is not putting all the spectrum they own to full use in the places where they have it, then yes, what they are not utilizing should be made available to other carriers. It is LONG past time for the "use it or lose it" standards of areal and population coverage to be enforced. Dish has gotten by for years and years with not putting any of the massive amount of spectrum they own into actual use, which has potentially caused more harm than all the spectrum T-Mobile has amassed, because T-Mobile has been putting some of the spectrum into actual use.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    100% agree. They should do it for all three carriers, IMO.

In my market, it's actually Verizon who has all the contiguous spectrum, including both cellular bands. I really wish they could at least reorganize PCS and AWS so that AT&T could fit a 20 MHz carrier somewhere. It really hampers AT&T's ability to offer competitive speeds compared to the others.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 11.41.14 AM.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  37.3 KB

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Adequate spectrum caps should be in place to permit four viable, nationwide carriers. No single carrier should be allowed to "corner the market" on spectrum, even if that means some spectrum is left unused for a time.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Att is just a bunch of haters especially here where they can’t put up a decent 5G network worth its soul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk