Thread: Tello to discontinue CDMA service on October 31, 2021.

Feedback Score

Tello to discontinue CDMA service on October 31, 2021.

Need to get a GSM sim kit. I was on the Tmobile network through Redpocket a few years ago and the reception and call quality were actually worse than Sprint CDMA in the LA area, maybe due to congestion issues. That's why I have been on Sprint ever since. I hope Tmobile has improved since then.

The CDMA network your line is currently using will be discontinued soon, for all mobile providers, nationwide.

Your phone is GSM-compatible, but your Tello line +1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX is still on the old CDMA network. To continue using the Tello service, you need to migrate to the new GSM network no later than October 31, 2021. This way, you'll avoid experiencing service interruption and losing your phone number.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    I'm not questioning this, I just don't see it anywhere. The Tello site is still showing "end of the year." Was this a personal email?
    Google Pixel 2 on TwigbyAlcatel 4052W on Tello

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    I'm not questioning this, I just don't see it anywhere. The Tello site is still showing "end of the year." Was this a personal email?
    “To ensure excellent service, we recommend activating your GSM compatible device by no later than the end of October 2021.”

https://blog.tello.com/news/gsm-migr...llo-customers/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Probably a soft date to get people moving.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    Absolutely. They don’t want people waiting til the last minute. T-Mobile is actively dismantling Sprint’s network and converting those towers to their service so service for Sprint customers is continuing to degrade as time goes on plus I’m sure Tello is having to run two systems right now which costs money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I believe Tmobile is shutting down Sprint CDMA on January 1st and in June Sprint's LTE network will be completely shut down. These things don't happen with the flip of a switch so service will deteriorate long before the shut down dates.

I can't see Tmobile shooting themselves in the foot by ending up with worse coverage than Sprint had in any area.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    It's not even really that, it's a recommendation. An understandable one, but the headline for this thread was a bit misleading. I've converted my Tello account to T-Mobile but I've still got three sons on Sprint Tello. I was just telling them yesterday that they might want to consider Twigby since it's going to Verizon and T-Mobile service is sketchy in some areas where they live. (I tested T-Mobile when I was in Texas and during the ride back and forth. At my daughter's place (in Granbury) it was useless.) Basically, on the way down and up, I had no service in Wyoming, Nebraska and most of Kansas. Meanwhile, on the Twigby phone (still on Sprint) I at least had Verizon voice roaming. (This is mostly traveling on I80.)