Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got an email that I have to upgrade flip phone for VoLTE

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Got an email that I have to upgrade flip phone for VoLTE

My 91yr old Mom uses a basic flip phone (LG-440G). She has the $30 plan which is renewed every 90 days. Her phone uses AT&T network.

A few years ago they sent her that LG phone for free. This email is not offering any free upgrades. When I click the link they don't have any new flip phones. I'm not sure what to do here. How is an Android phone going to work on the plan she has? She has no interest in Internet, she is old school use the phone for calls only.

Are there any flip phones that can do VoLTE with Tracphone?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gquiring View Post

Are there any flip phones that can do VoLTE with Tracphone?
    Yes there are. I don't have the phone name/model, but you can go to their website to view them. All new phones sold by the carrier in at least 4 years is VOLTE compatible.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There is only three that support VoLTE, but it is unknown with the AT&T side. They are Alcatel MyFlip A405DL, Alcatel MyFlip2 A406DL, and LG Classic Flip L125DL.

From the AT&T list, it does show the A406DL and L125DL tho.

The issue is Tracfone does not like to switch the tower carriers on these phones. So you would need to use BYOP SIM more then likely unless you want to switch the tower carrier.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I didn't realize when I visited the TracPhone page it was only showing "popular phones". Once I changed it to "All phones" I see the LG125DL option, but it is not in stock. I will wait for that one to come in stock.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 10 pro
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Truphone, Three, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    LG Classic Flip is on sale at Target for $20. In store only.

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If Verizon is good in her area, I highly recommend the LG Classic flip. I have that and the Alcatel, and the LG is more like the old school flip phones. Works really well, sound quality is good, and the menu is easy. The phone itself is a little longer and flatter than her current phone so hopefully she's okay with that.

Best Buy has it in stock and may price match Target. If not, $29.99 is still a good deal: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...?skuId=6412356

I give your mom credit for still using a cell phone! My aunt used one until she was around that age. I think she's 99 now.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 12 Pro eSIM; Pixel 2 XL
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 12 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I give your mom credit for still using a cell phone! My aunt used one until she was around that age. I think she's 99 now.
    She has an iPad, uses it all day to play Candy Crush and look at Facebook! Has no clue how to press the Like button and post a comment but loves looking at photos.

I have not followed the TracPhone stuff in many years, if I buy the phone from somewhere other than TracPhone do I need replace the firmware to work on their network?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I have not followed the TracPhone stuff in many years, if I buy the phone from somewhere other than TracPhone do I need replace the firmware to work on their network?
    If you buy a phone not branded by TF, it needs to accept a TF BYOP SIM (most factory-unlocked phones do). There's a TF BYOP SIM KIT, sold for $1 by TF on ebay, and at local stores like Dollar General, Target, Best Buy, etc. It comes with SIMs for AT&T, T-mo, Verizon, each in 3 sizes (mini, micro, nano). For TF service on AT&T and T-mo, the IMEI of the phone is not checked in order to activate the SIM. For TF service on Verizon, the phone's IMEI needs to be on Verizon's "whitelist" (compatible with Verizon, not stolen, not paired with an active SIM on Verizon, etc).

Name:  Tracfone-SIM-Kit-no-TMFL.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  46.3 KB

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    She has an iPad, uses it all day to play Candy Crush and look at Facebook! Has no clue how to press the Like button and post a comment but loves looking at photos.

Hah, I love it! My mom likes TsumTsum. I moved all of my older relatives over to smartphones and now iPhones + iPads over the years. The oldest are nearing 80 so it's good they're used to that kind of stuff already. All of them love their iPads since it's easy to use. I got everyone upgraded to iPhone 12s so we should be good for a couple years. My mom is pretty savvy but she refuses to pair her phone to her car. She doesn't spend much time in it anyway now that she's retired. I change her oil once a year and it's only like 1500-2000 miles.. a bunch of it from me making sure her car goes on a longer drive every now and then.

These days, it's not as complicated. An iPhone is the most universal but otherwise I just look for a phone that the underlying carrier sells anyway. For a flip phone, don't bother with those 'senior friendly' phones on Amazon or wherever. The LG Classic flip is TracFone branded so no issues, works well, and has VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    I concur with Island_Boy. I have the LG Classic Flip on Tracfone's Verizon network and like it very much. The DL suffix Tracfone models will work on any of the 3 Tracfone carriers, although Verizon is the default and is probably required for eventual unlocking. If Verizon coverage works for her, I'd suggest activating a new Tracfone Classic Flip on the default Verizon carrier, with a transfer of her existing phone number and TF/ATT balances to the new phone. Do not do this yourself online, because TF has a habit of losing airtime balances on inter-carrier transfers; protect yourself by using chat and saving transcripts; hpham has posted chat transcripts many times that will get the job done safely.

Another strong reason for going with Verizon if possible is that they're trying to buy Tracfone, and have stated that eliminating ATT (and TMO) from TF will be a priority.

Feedback Score
    S
    BYOP is not a good option for a flip phone. Not much available, and can be expensive. The mentioned LG Classic Flip (L125DL) is a good choice, and only available for service on the Tracfone companies. As mentioned, it does come set up for Verizon service and can be converted to AT&T or T-Mobile.

Will Verizon service work for you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Yes there are. I don't have the phone name/model, but you can go to their website to view them. All new phones sold by the carrier in at least 4 years is VOLTE compatible.
    Not quite. I have two TF phones that were purchased in 2018. They are Volte capable on the T-Mobile network but not on the AT&T network, because AT&T uses a proprietary implementation of Volte. Tracfone still has not figured out that there is a difference.
    If you want to keep using the AT&T network, you will need to buy one from AT&T's whitelist. As mentioned by advcomp2019, the A406DL and L125DL are on the list.

I understand there are phones that actually could comply with AT&T's implementation of Volte, but AT&T is not putting them on the whitelist unless the phone manufacturer pays them to certify it. Phones not on the whitelist will be kicked off the network by Feb. 2022 if not sooner. It is a ham-handed move by AT&T and compounded by Tracfone who is insisting that any Volte capable phone is fine.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Where she lives the only carrier that has decent service is AT&T. TMobile is a useless here, Verizon it's the game of hunting for a bar of service. I placed myself on the email list to be notified when the LG L125DL comes back in stock at TF.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The L125DL is in stock at Best Buy. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfone-lg-classic-flip-prepaid-gray/6412356.p?skuId=6412356

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Where she lives the only carrier that has decent service is AT&T. TMobile is a useless here, Verizon it's the game of hunting for a bar of service. I placed myself on the email list to be notified when the LG L125DL comes back in stock at TF.
    That complicates things a bit. You'll need to buy the phone AND a SIM starter kit; you'll transfer service to the AT&T SIM in that kit then remove the SIM card from the LG Classic and put the AT&T SIM in it. I still think that's worthwhile over giving her the MyFlip. It's a decent phone but the LG has more old school menus and I think works better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast