Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Referral Reward Points have been devalued

Feedback Score

Looks like Referral Reward Points have been devalued

I don't know if it's just for my account, but I noticed that Tracfone has reduced the points for referrals.

The points for referring 1 friend are the same as before - 5,000 for each of you. But it said:

2 - 4 friends: For you 6,000 points, For them 5,000 points
    5 + friends: For you 7,000 points, For them 5,000 points.

From what I remember, it was 9K & 6K for 2-4 friends, and 12K & 8K for 5+ friends. So they have reduced the points substantially now.

Are we seeing the beginning of the end here? Or is my account the only one getting devalued?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Are we seeing the beginning of the end here? Or is my account the only one getting devalued?
    Not just you. The better perks are dwindling. I was planning to start a new account on Sunday to get another 12,000 to push me over the 20,000 mark for a $300 code, but too late now.

Name:  Tracfone-Referral-new-point-scales.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  15.8 KB

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The devaluation happened within the last three days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The devaluation happened within the last three days.
    Like you said in another thread...."Is it such a leap to believe that Verizon is already calling all the shots? Pay attention to observed changes that can be blamed on Tracfone rather than Verizon taking the heat."

Feedback Score
    Yup definitely was in the past few days as I got a 12k referral just a few days ago. May have been on the last day!

Of course like TracFone half rollout of the hotspot feature maybe they will take a while to update their system to reflect the new numbers.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Bummer! I just referred someone and got the 12K / 8K tier. Oh well, I guess at least they're still giving points and didn't take away the refer a friend altogether.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 12 Pro eSIM; Pixel 2 XL
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 12 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 9, moto z4, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I don't know if it's just for my account, but I noticed that Tracfone has reduced the points for referrals.

The points for referring 1 friend are the same as before - 5,000 for each of you. But it said:

2 - 4 friends: For you 6,000 points, For them 5,000 points
    5 + friends: For you 7,000 points, For them 5,000 points.

From what I remember, it was 9K & 6K for 2-4 friends, and 12K & 8K for 5+ friends. So they have reduced the points substantially now.

Confirmed on all my accounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 13-59-26 Tracfone Rewards.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  74.9 KB

And in their usual amateur way, they changed the points but not the graphic that still promises 12,000 points over five. Confusing, ugly and stupid.

My personal guess is that some auditor figured out how much liability TF holds in points to be redeemed and the program needed to be trimmed back. When the deal with Verizon was going to be quick, pumping the user base as fast as possible seemed like a good plan, but now there has been time for due diligence, the balance sheet is showing the future price.

Feedback Score
    Bummer, that means it's not just me. Now I'm starting to think it would have been better if it WAS just me - because the fact that it's across the board means that Tracfone is scaling back.

We probably won't see any more Scratch and Spin the Wheel either, then (which, given the colossal waste of time those were for most of us here, may be a good thing?!!)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I sent a referral (through TF Reward site) on 9/2/21. That person activated a new line today 9/5/21 and signed up for Reward using my referral code. He got 8,000 pending points and I got 12,000 pending points. So maybe TF hasn't fully implemented the new reduced rates yet, or I lucked out because the code was sent on 9/2/21. TF works in a mysterious way.

Name:  Tracfone-Reward-Activity-Main-2021-09-05.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  29.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    I'm not surprised that given Tracfone's slow rollout of the hotspot on the $40 monthly plan, that the reverse (slow devaluation) is also true. Since our individual codes have not changed, I wonder if at some magic point our old codes will stop working and the new codes will only generate 5k. It happened to me before when there were separate app/web codes and the app code went away, etc.

Will be curious when any of the regulars here (who've made it to the top 12k/8k level) start seeing the 'downgrade' in the amounts they or the referrer see.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 9, moto z4, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    It appears that MVNOs are now being stringent (stingy?) with their deals.
    - TracFone has now capped referral points to 5,000.
    - Visible has now introduced a 60-day locking policy for their phones.
    - Cricket is diligently enforcing matching shipping/billing address to official credit card address (Each customer is limited to 2 deals per 180 days and even cancelled orders count against this limit).
    Last edited by ChristInMe; 09-05-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristInMe View Post
    It appears that MVNOs are now being stringent (stingy?) with their deals.
    - Visible has now introduced a 6-month locking policy for their phones.
    With Visible BYOP deal, you used to get $100 reward after paying for 2 months (no more than $25/month with Party Pay). Now you get only $50 in reward after paying for 3 months of service. It's no longer a money maker.

2020 was a great year for making money with phone deals. 1st Qtr of 2021 wasn't too bad. Now all the good deals have dried up.

Feedback Score
    Got 12k yesterday.
    Just changed my sig (code changes every time I get a referral)
    Tracfone rewards referral code BNDZ-3593 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members at rewards.tracfone.com or in the Tracfone App.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the heads up. Had one last HSN bundle I hadn't activated, hearing that the old tiers may still be active lit a fire under me and I activated it just now. I can confirm I got the original promised referral points; 12K for the referrer and 8K for the new account.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast