Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Which VoLTE phones are dual SIM? (physical, not eSIM)

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    60
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I, too, am looking for a "unicorn". This is what I am looking for, but I might NEVER see it.:

    -Dual Physical SIM Card

    -5G

    -Push To Talk Switch

    -Rugged/Water Resistant


    The Unihertz comes close, but it is 4G

    https://www.unihertz.com/products/atom-xl

    Unicorn is a great way to describe it.


    The Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro is pretty close, too, but also only 4G.

    https://www.samsung.com/us/business/...xy-xcover-pro/
    Unicorn is a fun way to describe it.

    ATT has whitelisted the Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro (SM-G715U1). I don't see any model numbers on Samsung's website so people need to be careful to buy the correct one.

    I thought all dual SIM Samsung phones have /DS in their model number but apparently that's not the case. Maybe there are other dual SIM Samsung phones in the list that people aren't aware of.

    The Unihertz phone isn't whitelisted sadly. It looks pretty neat though.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,200
    Feedback Score
    0

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,060
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    0

    Which VoLTE phones are dual SIM? (physical, not eSIM)

    Snapdragon 660 (so no 5G in addition to very disappointing performance) and $650? Yikes!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    60
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    Snapdragon 660 (so no 5G in addition to very disappointing performance) and $650? Yikes!
    True, the outdated processor and the high price are big turn-offs. I think the high price is because its a rugged phone that is used in specific lines of work.

    But the biggest problem is that its not in ATT's whitelist so it won't function anymore after their 3G shutdown next year. If not for this, I could picture myself buying it if there were absolutely no other alternatives.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    957
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by habbee View Post
    ...
    But the biggest problem is that its not in ATT's whitelist so it won't function anymore after their 3G shutdown next year. If not for this, I could picture myself buying it if there were absolutely no other alternatives.
    Stop spreading false information.
    at&t whitelist is meaningless.
    Millions phones work well with VoLTE on at&t ,not on their list...

    Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,060
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    0

    Which VoLTE phones are dual SIM? (physical, not eSIM)

    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Stop spreading false information.
    at&t whitelist is meaningless.
    Millions phones work well with VoLTE on at&t ,not on their list...

    Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
    AT&T has been kicking them off. They literally have a list of devices that will continue to work after the 3G shutdown.

    https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

    The header on each page of phones is “These phones will still work on our network after we phase out 3G in February 2022.” If it’s not there, say goodbye to your service in February.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,060
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by habbee View Post
    True, the outdated processor and the high price are big turn-offs. I think the high price is because its a rugged phone that is used in specific lines of work.

    But the biggest problem is that its not in ATT's whitelist so it won't function anymore after their 3G shutdown next year. If not for this, I could picture myself buying it if there were absolutely no other alternatives.
    I’m hoping we will see more MVNOs with eSIM soon. AT&T recently enabled the ability to set it up for iPhones on their prepaid website. Previously you had to go to the corporate store and get a QR code. The carriers are slowly getting there. Even Verizon has some MVNOs bringing eSIM soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    60
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Stop spreading false information.
    at&t whitelist is meaningless.
    Millions phones work well with VoLTE on at&t ,not on their list...
    The reason you may not have noticed any change yet is because the 3G shutdown won't occur until February of next year. So for now, lots of non-whitelisted phones still work, although ATT has already been disabling some of them even if they are capable of VoLTE.

    Going forward, it's not enough for a phone to just be VoLTE-capable. It has to be VoLTE-capable and whitelisted by ATT. Consider yourself lucky if your non-whitelisted phone still works right now. But once February arrives, ATT will disable it from their network.

    I only discovered the whitelist myself very recently, so it was a big surprise to me too. Don't worry, we still have a good 5 months to look for a suitable replacement.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    60
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    AT&T has been kicking them off. They literally have a list of devices that will continue to work after the 3G shutdown.

    https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

    The header on each page of phones is “These phones will still work on our network after we phase out 3G in February 2022.” If it’s not there, say goodbye to your service in February.
    They've actually provided two slightly different lists.

    List #1 is the one you linked to, which says "These phones will still work on our network after we phase out 3G in February 2022."

    List #2 is the one that I've been linking to, which is a subset of list #1. (In other words, all the phones in list #2 are also in list #1, but not all the phones in list #1 are in list #2.) This is a list of unlocked phones that, at minimum, have VoLTE capability on their network.

    Based on what I've read (here for example), it's safer to use a phone in list #2 than in list #1. The reason seems to be because there is something special about the VoLTE capability of the list #2 phones that make them more "desirable" to ATT. Once VoLTE becomes the norm across America, the phones present in list #1 but absent in list #2 might get kicked off. That's just what people hypothesize, of course. Nobody knows exactly what will happen once 3G is gone for good.

    For the immediate future, using a phone in list #1 is perfectly fine. But I want to keep my phone for 2 or 3 years (or longer), so I'm looking at list #2 just to play it safe.

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    I’m hoping we will see more MVNOs with eSIM soon. AT&T recently enabled the ability to set it up for iPhones on their prepaid website. Previously you had to go to the corporate store and get a QR code. The carriers are slowly getting there. Even Verizon has some MVNOs bringing eSIM soon.
    Me too! I'd love to see more eSIM support among MVNOs. I know Mint accepts eSIMs (although they're T-Mobile, so things might be different over there) so we are slowly but surely making progress.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,060
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    0

    Which VoLTE phones are dual SIM? (physical, not eSIM)

    Quote Originally Posted by habbee View Post
    They've actually provided two slightly different lists.

    List #1 is the one you linked to, which says "These phones will still work on our network after we phase out 3G in February 2022."

    List #2 is the one that I've been linking to, which is a subset of list #1. (In other words, all the phones in list #2 are also in list #1, but not all the phones in list #1 are in list #2.) This is a list of unlocked phones that, at minimum, have VoLTE capability on their network.

    Based on what I've read (here for example), it's safer to use a phone in list #2 than in list #1. The reason seems to be because there is something special about the VoLTE capability of the list #2 phones that make them more "desirable" to ATT. Once VoLTE becomes the norm across America, the phones present in list #1 but absent in list #2 might get kicked off. That's just what people hypothesize, of course. Nobody knows exactly what will happen once 3G is gone for good.

    For the immediate future, using a phone in list #1 is perfectly fine. But I want to keep my phone for 2 or 3 years (or longer), so I'm looking at list #2 just to play it safe.



    Me too! I'd love to see more eSIM support among MVNOs. I know Mint accepts eSIMs (although they're T-Mobile, so things might be different over there) so we are slowly but surely making progress.
    Yeah I know there are two separate lists. I posted the other one because it enabled me to make the quote that’s like “hey, this isn’t a conspiracy, AT&T themselves are saying these are the phones that will work in 2022.”

    The BYOD list is exclusively for people bringing a phone to AT&T, the “these will continue to work” list is meant for existing customers to know if their devices will still work, including ones they may have bought directly from AT&T that weren’t sold elsewhere.

    It’s going to be a rough time for all these customer service reps when people who ignored all the notices find themselves without service next year!

    For some reason even T-Mobile has been slow with the eSIM. Mint and Fi are the only two T-Mo MVNOs that I’m aware of that have eSIM. Even Metro doesn’t have it, just T-Mobile prepaid and postpaid. I have heard that there are substantial costs for MVNOs to implement eSIM which may be a large part of the problem.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    2,048
    Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    And those providers that have started allowing eSIM seem to be concentrating on iPhone with iPhone apps. They need to start making it easier for Pixel owners too!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    60
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    Yeah I know there are two separate lists. I posted the other one because it enabled me to make the quote that’s like “hey, this isn’t a conspiracy, AT&T themselves are saying these are the phones that will work in 2022.”

    The BYOD list is exclusively for people bringing a phone to AT&T, the “these will continue to work” list is meant for existing customers to know if their devices will still work, including ones they may have bought directly from AT&T that weren’t sold elsewhere.

    It’s going to be a rough time for all these customer service reps when people who ignored all the notices find themselves without service next year!
    Oh interesting, so the phones that appear in list #1 (your list) that do not appear in list #2 might actually all be phones that aren't sold outside of ATT. That makes sense. Some people seemed concerned that there's something different about those phones' VoLTE capability and longevity that necessitated two different lists. Well, it's one less thing to worry about I guess.

    I haven't been seeing much talk coming from ATT MVNOs about the ATT's whitelist. Assuming that people have even heard about the whitelist, it'll become a big problem if people think it only applies to direct ATT customers and not to ATT MVNO customers. It's also possible that the average MVNO customer might not even be aware of which network they're on.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,227
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    AT&T has been kicking them off. They literally have a list of devices that will continue to work after the 3G shutdown.

    https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

    The header on each page of phones is “These phones will still work on our network after we phase out 3G in February 2022.” If it’s not there, say goodbye to your service in February.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where does it say that if it's not on that list, it won't work? It looks to me like the list just shows the phones which AT&T has verified will still work after the shutdown. That doesn't mean that others won't. What you say may be true, but it certainly doesn't say that. You're reading more into it than what it actually says.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    60
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Where does it say that if it's not on that list, it won't work? It looks to me like the list just shows the phones which AT&T has verified will still work after the shutdown. That doesn't mean that others won't. What you say may be true, but it certainly doesn't say that. You're reading more into it than what it actually says.
    Here is the announcement straight from the network itself: https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/

    The relevant part:
    Don't see your phone make and model on the list? That means it'll no longer work by February 2022. So, you'll need to upgrade to a new one.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    957
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by habbee View Post
    The reason you may not have noticed any change yet is because the 3G shutdown won't occur until February of next year. So for now, lots of non-whitelisted phones still work, although ATT has already been disabling some of them even if they are capable of VoLTE.

    Going forward, it's not enough for a phone to just be VoLTE-capable. It has to be VoLTE-capable and whitelisted by ATT. Consider yourself lucky if your non-whitelisted phone still works right now. But once February arrives, ATT will disable it from their network.

    I only discovered the whitelist myself very recently, so it was a big surprise to me too. Don't worry, we still have a good 5 months to look for a suitable replacement.
    You basically cannot read documents right.

    It clearly describes no impact on BYOD users.
    As long as you registered as BYOD users, use any at&t VoLTE compatible phones (purchased from any other places), it will still work...
    The BYOD list is exclusively for people bringing a phone to AT&T, the “these will continue to work”

    Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2021, 08:30 PM
  2. In dual sim phone, are both sim active?
    By nobar in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM
  3. Which new phone are you waiting for ?
    By ikuma3 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 08:47 PM
  4. reactivated old phone number.. used sim card.. not working, help?
    By Manny in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 05:47 AM
  5. Which Falcon Phone Are U Interested In?
    By Arnstarn in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 04:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks