Thread: Affordable unlock

Feedback Score

Affordable unlock

I am a social worker who often encounters low income individuals. I usually know the best path to affordable wireless. I encountered someone AFTER they locked into Boost by way of purchase of an expensive, locked iPhone SE 2020.

He cannot rely on sharing internet with his roommates so he bit the bullet and upgraded to the $50 unlimited - he had prepaid his account to the point where that was covered for a couple of months.

He must maintain that number on Boost through next March to be eligible for unlock. I know he can get $25 per month unlimited from a couple of other providers. Is there a downgraded Boost mobile plan to hold on to while he waits for unlock? I may loan him a phone on an affordable plan to get him through.

It looks like the $10 per month plan is for new customers only.

I know Boost is a good value for a lot of folks but overselling a poor person a phone with a nasty "no unlock" policy does not make me a big fan at this time. Thanks for any guidance!

Dan

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Reminder to all. This is a link free zone. Feel free to name unlocking services but don't post hyperlinks or they will be deleted as SPAM.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    They have a $35 plan.

If I wanted to save money one thing you can do is buy any cheap smartphone for $50 or less and use it without service for free and use wi-fi hotspots when you want to connect to the internet. You can use google voice to make free calls when connected to the internet.

If he already owns the boost iphone he could use that without service on wi-fi as explained above so he would not need to buy another phone.

However, I heard there are also government programs for the poor that provide a free phone and service if you qualify so I would check into that too. If you use this method then he could discontinue service on the boost iphone when he gets the new phone and service.

Feedback Score
    Some EBB participating Carriers & MVNO's are offering unlimited data. Dependent on the State.
    Check out this page: https://www.visible.com/get/36csHv, it has all the info you need to know about joining Visible.
    When you use my friend code, 36csHv, you’ll get your first month of service for only $5!

Join my Party Pay Group 25,681 members (no information is shared with other members)
    https://visible.com/p/Reddit_Upvote & never pay more than $25 a month.

Visible $25/mo
    Liberty 09.06.2022
    TMo 01.05.22
    Truphone 01.18.22

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    If he already owns the boost iphone he could use that without service on wi-fi as explained above so he would not need to buy another phone.
    If the OP bought the phone from Boost, it would be subsidized, and they may not take kindly to stopping service early. Boost charges $250 for a base iPhone SE, and an unlocked one is still around $400.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If the OP bought the phone from Boost, it would be subsidized, and they may not take kindly to stopping service early. Boost charges $250 for a base iPhone SE, and an unlocked one is still around $400.
    I thought if you buy an iphone on boost that you own it.

If he has a contract I guess he has to go by the contract.

I never bought an iphone so not sure what the deal was.

I did buy a locked android phone for boost before and I owned it so could discontinue service whenever I want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I thought if you buy an iphone on boost that you own it.

If he has a contract I guess he has to go by the contract.

I never bought an iphone so not sure what the deal was.

I did buy a locked android phone for boost before and I owned it so could discontinue service whenever I want.
    They are prepaid - similar to Metro - no contract but a 12 month lock as opposed to a six month lock once a phone is subsidized.

EBB is an option based on his low income. I'll see if Boost participates. I have to explore the option of getting unlimited Metro for $25 but I think a phone trade in is required - this is an awfully expensive phone to try to trade in for pennies on the dollar. I helped someone do a trade to iPhone 12 mini but that requires an additional $200+ up front along with a commitment to a $60 per month prepaid plan.

Ironically - the "easy to use" iPhone did not help him at all - he still wants deep instruction on how to get things done - he should have stuck with Android.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Dan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by saverdan View Post
    They are prepaid - similar to Metro - no contract but a 12 month lock as opposed to a six month lock once a phone is subsidized.

EBB is an option based on his low income. I'll see if Boost participates. I have to explore the option of getting unlimited Metro for $25 but I think a phone trade in is required - this is an awfully expensive phone to try to trade in for pennies on the dollar. I helped someone do a trade to iPhone 12 mini but that requires an additional $200+ up front along with a commitment to a $60 per month prepaid plan.

Ironically - the "easy to use" iPhone did not help him at all - he still wants deep instruction on how to get things done - he should have stuck with Android.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Dan
    Boost does participate in EBB

can apply at boostmobile.com/ebbp and the discount can be applied to his existing service making it free every month