Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice On Flip Phone ?

Feedback Score

Google Voice On Flip Phone ?

Is it possible to install Google Voice on an LG 125DL Flip Phone ? Maybe there is another way without installing an app, which I cannot do with this phone ?

Feedback Score
    I don't think there is a way to use wifi for GV, which kind of defeats the main appeal.

I know you can receive calls as a forwarding phone, using carrier minutes.

I don't know if you can make calls using your GV number as the caller ID, using carrier minutes.

The main thing would be to hide your real number, but it will cost minutes.

The app certainly adds versatility.

Feedback Score
    Not to deviate from the thread question, but since it's about GV. I played with GV once but didn't like the latency. Guess that may have to do with how good my wifi signal was.
    I'm thinking of just using it on an unactivated phone I have just as a backup.

I assume that's possible?
    Will anyone I call see the GV# on their ID?
    Can you have the GV app on multiple phones all with the same GV# ?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I played with GV once but didn't like the latency.I'm thinking of just using it on an unactivated phone I have just as a backup.

1. I assume that's possible?
    2. Will anyone I call see the GV# on their ID?
    3. Can you have the GV app on multiple phones all with the same GV# ?
    1. You can use GV on pretty much any Android device with WiFi and a microphone input, even on a tablet. Latency has gotten a lot better.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes. All phones signed in to the same Google account with use the same GV number tied to that account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Landngroove View Post
    Is it possible to install Google Voice on an LG 125DL Flip Phone ? Maybe there is another way without installing an app, which I cannot do with this phone ?
    As already mentioned above, you can receive calls just fine on a phone that can't run the GV app using forwarding.

To PLACE calls from your GV #, using a phone that can't run the GV app, you need to use the long dialing string, which I can't remember at the moment, but hopefully someone else can remember and post.

Another challenge to using GV on a phone that can't run the GV app is that GV discontinued forwarding of texts to forwarding #s in Aug, 2021.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    1. You can use GV on pretty much any Android device with WiFi and a microphone input, even on a tablet. Latency has gotten a lot better.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes. All phones signed in to the same Google account with use the same GV number tied to that account.
    Thanks. Now I just need to try to remember how to set it all up...lol.
    I assume GV on wifi will use allot less data$ from my Hotspot device then my PagePlus PayGo plan minutes$.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Not to deviate from the thread question, but since it's about GV. I played with GV once but didn't like the latency. Guess that may have to do with how good my wifi signal was.
    I'm thinking of just using it on an unactivated phone I have just as a backup.

I assume that's possible?
    Will anyone I call see the GV# on their ID?
    Can you have the GV app on multiple phones all with the same GV# ?
    Yes to all when using Wifi or mobile data. I have the GV app on several Android smartphones, active and inactive. I use an inactive phone with no cell service with GV over Wifi like a landline. Works great.

Keep in mind that GV does not have any connection to 911, but even an inactive phone will call 911. Be sure to use the phone dialer app rather than the GV app if calling 911 is needed. The phone does still need to be compatible with a cell carrier that is close enough to use.

The last time I measured round-trip delay latency it was 600 ms. That is about the upper limit for good call quality. It is most noticeable in rapid fire back and forth conversations. I don't notice it.

GV 600 ms round-trip delay latency is the same as any other VOIP calling app I have tried. There is nothing specifically worse about GV. It is an artifact of VOIP calls going over the general Internet rather than packet delivery being prioritized on a cell carrier private network.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I haven't noticed audio latency on a call in years, and I'm talking over the cell carrier.

The original appeal of GV had nothing to do with VoIP calling using a smartphone app. That came much later. The appeal to me was having a number identity independent of my native cell number, which could change.

The "long-dial" method: Call your GV number from your phone (which must be set up as a forwarding or linked number in GV beforehand) and follow the prompts. You may or may not have it set up to require a PIN to access things this way. Once "in" it's choice number 2 to make a phone call. You enter the number, followed by the pound sign (# or octothorpe). Get to talkin'.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The "long-dial" method: Call your GV number from your phone....
    I failed to see the benefits of using that method. If you're using your phone (especially a prepaid phone) to call your GV number and "dial through" to make a GV call, wouldn't it be better to just use your phone to call the number that you want to call in the first place?

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I haven't noticed audio latency on a call in years, and I'm talking over the cell carrier.
    Latency is only noticeable when using WiFi. It isn't bad most of the time, but noticeable.

Sent from my moto g stylus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I failed to see the benefits of using that method. If you're using your phone (especially a prepaid phone) to call your GV number and "dial through" to make a GV call, wouldn't it be better to just use your phone to call the number that you want to call in the first place?
    Not if your intention was to portray yourself as originating from the GV number. Some people used it as an alternate or additional number for people to reach them, without revealing their "real" number, for advertising goods for sale or responding to ads. Others switched phones a lot (had more than one line of service) and wanted to consolidate their ability to answer the GV line from whatever device they were using.

Feedback Score
    My personal contacts only know my GV number. They won't answer if the Caller ID isn't the GV number. I also use several phones. My personal contacts don't want to keep track of like four numbers for me. GV unifies them all. This is really only an issue for non-smartphones. The GV app takes care of it for smartphones.

Feedback Score
    The latency is still there for me. Try calling an echo number like, 909-390-0003 and you will probably hear it. Say something short, like POP, and see how long it takes to hear it repeated back to you. It's still about 600 ms over Wifi and about a full second using the cell voice service for me.

The original appeal of GV had nothing to do with VoIP calling using a smartphone app. That came much later. The appeal to me was having a number identity independent of my native cell number, which could change.
    Yes, I originally got GV so that I could use it for free outgoing and long distance calls on my home landline. Forwarding the GV number to my home landline, office landline, and my cellphone was, and is, very convenient so I only have to give contacts one number. As you say, it also allows me to use the one GV number without having to tell anyone if I change a cell number or use a different phone.

It's hard to believe that it is all "free". Yeah, I know G is making money selling my info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Latency is only noticeable when using WiFi. It isn't bad most of the time, but noticeable.
    I just checked the latency over cell voice by calling an echo number. It was about a full second. Wifi is still about 600 ms.

Audio delay on voice calls is a perceived quality. If one doesn't notice it, it doesn't matter. The style of conversation also makes a big difference. The more rapid-fire back and forth the conversation, the more likely it is to be noticed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    bobdevnul, when you do your carrier checks with GV, who is your carrier? I would certainly notice if my audio was hanging for a full second. Mine is PPC (VZW). I think you've got at least one line with them IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast