Thread: Is It Worth Turning Off 5G?

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 Ultra, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Is It Worth Turning Off 5G?

I'm now getting 5G at my home but I know I'm not really connected to 5G, because even though the 5G symbol is displaying it still shows I'm connected to LTE (via signal check pro app and network cell info apps). When doing a speed test, I'm not getting any better speeds than LTE even slower sometimes. So would turning it off have any benefits? Battery usage/drainage isn't any different whether I'm on 5G or LTE, service is still the same (in terms of service availability, call quality, texting, or data usage), and when I'm on 5G it stays connect to 5G meaning it's not switching back and forth between 4G and 5G. Also I'm in a rural area but not too far from the interstate, maybe a mile or two and I frequently visit the Birmingham city area.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited Elite & Unlimited Starter
    HBOMAX

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    5G on AT&T isn’t worth leaving on unless you’re in a mmWave/5G+ area. Just wastes battery and it will often be slower than just using LTE would have been since AT&T relies heavily on carrier aggregation for their LTE network and they don’t have all of their bands available on 5G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    What EtherealRemnant says is true (not AT&T-specific, in general 4G can still be faster than 5G for now simply because the carriers have far more 4G running than 5G, and the phone carrier aggregation lets the phone take advantage of it; and the battery use increase can happen until most sites in the area have 5G, due to phone being on 4G but searching for 5G service, or connecting to a weaker 5G signal so the phone is using more transmit power, etc..).

But if *you* specifically aren't seeing increased battery use (as you say the phone isn't bouncing back and forth between 5G and 4G service), or speed problems, you might as well leave it on. Sooner or later the carriers (T-Mo is already doing this due to their huge amount of spectrum) will start their process of running more 5G and decreasing 4G spectrum (with dynamic spectrum sharing -- DSS -- they may not ever get rid of 4G entirely, though.) Leaving the phone to do it's thing will let it take full advantage of that.

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 Ultra, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Yea, I just leave it as it is.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app